Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2003 5:50:09 AM EDT
Staying in South Africa I thought I would share with you what I am going through to get my AR

Firstly semi auto rifles are restricted so the chances of licensing one for a normal shooter are about zero

First you need to become what is called a dedicated sportsman
Briefly this involves letters and testimonials from shooting club officials proof of said memberships  copys of all results from competitions you entered proof of owning a safe.your fingerprints are taken.
The police then come to your house and inspect your premises and safe if all is to their satisfaction they forward your application to Pretoria who will then decide if you qualify.

If you are lucky to get recognised you can now try for your rifle.

for this the police will again come to your house do a full inspection they will interview your wife and do background checks with your friends and neighbours.they will fingerprint you they want scoresheets testimonials club memberships etc etc
they want a full letter of motivation as to why you need the rifle
After all this your application will be sent to pretoria where someone will decide if you can have the gun or not.

they can refuse you the license without reason which then forces you into a costly appeal with lawyers etc

this licensing process can take up to 10 months!!

This all happens despite the fact I already own a FAl and a semi auto shotgun ?

Just wish I could buy stuff the way alot of u guys do........

This process is repeated for every purchase !!!

Link Posted: 9/6/2003 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds a lot like NYC. [:D]
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#2]
that sucks dude [:(]
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#3]
that really sucks!!
is this license a new law?
do the authorities know you already have guns?

thanks for sharing what you have to go through, we gripe about the U.S. laws but things could always be worse as in your situation.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#4]
DAMN.

i can get a license to deal in firearms easier than you can even buy one................

make no mistake people, the liberals would piss all over themselves to get it that same way right here in the good ol US of A.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 2:21:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Ummmm.... if I lived there I would start a revolutionary war.  

But thats just me....
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 5:05:49 PM EDT
[#6]
make no mistake people, the liberals would piss all over themselves to get it that same way right here in the good ol US of A
View Quote

Shhhh!  Don't give them any more ideas.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 5:19:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I'm crossing South Africa off my list of places to move.
-TriggerFish
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top