Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2011 1:29:09 PM EST
i cant decide between these kinda leaning towards a 3x9 but iam flexibile.just would like to hear from anyone with any experience with any of these.thanks
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 1:32:20 PM EST
I looked checked out the Leupold and the Nikon, and went with the Nikon as it seemed to have better glass. I liked that the Leupold was lighter though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 1:35:28 PM EST
Thank You 1 which power did you go with ?
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 1:43:52 PM EST
I bought the Nikon M223 1-4x20.

Really really like it a lot.

As a side note I have 4 other Nikon scopes, two 3.3-10x44 Monarchs, a 2.5-10x44 Tactical and the M223 1-4x20. I have had many others.

I have had many Leupold Vari-X IIIs and still have one, a 6.5-20x40 which is now on my custom 10/22 as well as a M8 4x on a 30/30.

The Nikons are IMO better than the Leupolds of comparable price.

As another note, I bought a Ziess Conquest 6.5-20x50 and there is simply no comparison between it and the Leupold.

Bill
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 2:16:18 PM EST
Originally Posted By madarcher427:
Thank You 1 which power did you go with ?

2-8, plex.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:14:02 PM EST
not to bring up a different scope, but I was in the market for a 1-4x on a budget earlyer this year. I looked into the L mark ar, burris, nikon ect... I ended up going with a GRSC 1-4x (cant affort the GRSC 1-6x right now), the GRSC 1-4x is in the same price range and I couldnt be happier with it. thing rocks... ya may want to look into it as an option.

just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:28:44 PM EST
I'm very happy with my Burris XTR14 on an 18". A friend has the M223 1-4x and we both like the Burris (to be fair, the Tac30 is a closer price level comparison to the Nikon). I really like Nikon scopes and would say the M223 is the best value. However, I don't care for the point-blank reticle so I would go for a 2-8 or 3-12 with a BDC.

I favor Aimpoints for all my 16"/14.5" ARs and this same friend with the M223 was recently convinced to dump it for an M4s.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:53:43 PM EST
What do you plan to use the rifle for?

I put a Mark AR 3-9X w/ the mildot reticle on my fathers gun. The glass was nice, but the reticle was a poor choice for his application. Also I'm not a fan of the 1" tube.

+1 on the GRSC 1-4X. I put one on my "game" gun, but it's more of a fighting optic.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:08:36 AM EST
This thread is of interest to me as well. I'm looking for a low power scope to run on a 300 blackout bolt gun in the $300 range. I was looking at both the nikon and leo ... Any other recommendations

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:15:33 AM EST
Originally Posted By sinsir:
This thread is of interest to me as well. I'm looking for a low power scope to run on a 300 blackout bolt gun in the $300 range. I was looking at both the nikon and leo ... Any other recommendations

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Variable, low power, multipurpose scope review thread

Since you won't need a BDC reticle, or won't be able to find an inexpensive one calibrated for your loads, I like the Millet DMS 1-4X. Available @ SWFA for $249
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:52:16 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 9:54:01 AM EST by BlackTaco]
Leupold = Mil-Dot reticle available
Nikon = BDC (which I hate)

I was forced to go Mark AR because of the reticle. I have 2 Mark AR's, and 1 has been through hell and back hunting. It does well.
Also had the DMS. What comes to mind when I remember it - clunky, heavy, not the best glass quality.

If Nikon would get away from their stupid BDC and slap Mil reticle in there.....I'd definitely try a Nikon.

I also have a Burris Fullfield II. I couldn't get it to zero correctly - and had troubles with Burris customer service listening to what I was telling them.
So no more Burris for me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:08:27 AM EST
I have a Leupold Mark AR and could not be happier with the scope. If nothing else I believe it is rugged and reliable. I have also recently acquired a Leupold VX-R illuminated reticle 4-12 with BDC dial that also appears very promising. If the lower magnification range is what you are looking for you may also look at their VX-R 2-7x33 illuminated reticle. All the VX-R line scopes utilize a 30mm tube.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:24:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 10:24:53 AM EST by BlackTaco]
Originally Posted By Gray:
I have a Leupold Mark AR and could not be happier with the scope. If nothing else I believe it is rugged and reliable. I have also recently acquired a Leupold VX-R illuminated reticle 4-12 with BDC dial that also appears very promising. If the lower magnification range is what you are looking for you may also look at their VX-R 2-7x33 illuminated reticle. All the VX-R line scopes utilize a 30mm tube.

How does the glass quality compare between the VX-R and the Mark AR???
I just learned of this new VX-R while flipping through a mag last week and it seems like it is a great set-up.
I am very dissapointed they don't make a higher power model (3.5-14 would be perfect) or I would have bought one last week.
They have a good price range.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:30:47 PM EST

I just learned of this new VX-R while flipping through a mag last week and it seems like it is a great set-up.
I am very dissapointed they don't make a higher power model (3.5-14 would be perfect) or I would have bought one last week.
They have a good price range.[/quote]

I would rate the glass quality of the VX-R as possibly a little better than the Mark AR. I also wish Leupold offered a 4.5-14 VX-R but I think the 4-12 will serve me fine. I like the VX-R so well I plan to purchase a 2-7x33 for another AR-15 I have. I think I will call it a "poor man's ACOG."
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:24:40 AM EST
Originally Posted By Gray:

They have a good price range.

I would rate the glass quality of the VX-R as possibly a little better than the Mark AR. I also wish Leupold offered a 4.5-14 VX-R but I think the 4-12 will serve me fine. I like the VX-R so well I plan to purchase a 2-7x33 for another AR-15 I have. I think I will call it a "poor man's ACOG."[/quote]

Awesome. Thank you very much for the input.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:05:30 PM EST
I want the VX-R. I had a 1-4x m223 Nikon with the point blank reticle and liked it a lot EXCEPT the goofy turrets. It was overkill for a 1-4x scope. I'd prefer the vx-r with the smaller turrets and simple reticles.
Top Top