Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2003 10:34:58 AM EDT
Does anybody have any experience with this scope? How about on of the leupolds that are close? How is it for cqb? How about at 100-200 yards? Anybody use the same thing with the luminated recticle? Thanks
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Leupold 4.5-14 x 50mm objective on my flat-top, bull barrel varmint rig.  Great scope.  I prefer smaller objective lens (40mm), but on an AR we need a high mount anyway to match the straight stock, so the 50mm bell is no problem at all mounting wise.

I also have a Loopy 3.5-10x 40 Tactical on a 308 bolt-action and it is fine too.

I would think it to be a bit too much scope for true CQB even at 3.5x.  You don't want to be pering through a scope when the action is in the same room!  IMHO  But for 50 yards on out to 400 yards and further it is great!   I shoot 600 yards with my 308 and the 'little' 3.5-10x40.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#2]
The 3.5 by 10 VarXIII makes a good high power scope that you can still shoot off hand at medium close range for hunting when set on the low power.

However, still too high of power IMO for very close shooting at moving targets (be it running close deer in the thick or inside a room).  

If one was using a classic optical scope for both distance and close, then something along the lines of the VarXIII 1.5 by 5 or 1.75 by 6 would be better IMO ... at least works well for deer.

In a perfect world something like variable power BAC ACOG would be interesting.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top