Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2015 12:58:06 PM EST
I have a 2-1 rule. I buy 2 rounds for every one I shoot. that way the ammo stack keeps growing. you can have all the guns in the world but if you don't have ammo for them what good are they? every 40 hour I work I buy $50.00 worth of ammo. (different calibers is another discussion) if I don't like the price I save the $50.00 until the next week. but I'm always on the hunt for good ammo at the right price!

for the legion rifle league I belong to we shoot out to 100 yards max. for this I shoot Winchester 40 grain varmint. pricey at $1.00 a round but I get great groups with it!

for shtf I have mostly xm193. lots of people knock it because its only 55 grain but there are plenty of dead commies that would attest to the lethality of it if they were able to.

all ammo is either stored in ammo cans or sealed 5 gallon buckets with desiccant packs.

suggestions on what I should be doing different are welcome!

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:00:05 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 5:13:12 PM EST
Double how much you're purchasing each month. Other than that, sounds like a solid approach.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:15:28 PM EST
Assuming you have enough mags and further assuming you are proficient with your firearms, shoot less and keep buying or increase buying until you have an adequate amount of ammo. Buy a few spare parts to keep on hand to keep what you have running in the future.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:35:53 PM EST
M193 is a great round for within 200yds for sure. It will bust your flesh apart, break bones, and cause a lot of soft tissue damage.

I like your buy 2x what you shoot approach. I augment that with hand loading. Most of the .223 I load for is match though, so everything 69gr to 77gr BTHP for that caliber.

The main thing I use .223 for is close quarters and some intermediate work, which is on a regular basis in my DM courses.

I've been shooting 6.5 Grendel a lot more than I ever thought I would compared to the .223 Rem though. With PPU 120gr BTHP at $9.99 - $13.69 a box, it's hard not to.

No matter what calibers you choose, your only real insurance is to stack what you have. The most popular calibers were the first to go after SH.

Ammoseek is your friend when it comes to ammo prices. Run a search and see what I mean.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:50:46 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BGENE:
Assuming you have enough mags and further assuming you are proficient with your firearms, shoot less and keep buying or increase buying until you have an adequate amount of ammo. Buy a few spare parts to keep on hand to keep what you have running in the future.
View Quote
I also buy steel mags when I see them at a good price. so mags aren't a problem. I have no interest in plastic magpul type magazines.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:07:35 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:36:28 AM EST
Originally Posted By Omahaoutdoors:
The 2:1 approach is definitely a solid plan. It will help ensure you always have a good stock on hand. In general, I tend to practice with the cheapest ammo I can and buy more of the quality ammo for use if SHTF. This way, you can spend a bit less on the ammo you use and have the good stuff around when you need it.
View Quote
I broke that rule yesterday!

I saw one of my calibers at a great price and chucked a whole $500.00 at it.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:07:14 PM EST
Sounds good to me, dude.
Only thing I would suggest is getting into reloading. You can load very good quality ammo for a lot cheaper than you can buy it, and build a skill at the same time. M193 works well, but if you can make your own ammo, loaded with better performing bullets, tailored to your rifle, for roughly the same price or less, why not?
I will say, reloading cheap/bulk grade ammo doesn't seem to save as much as it used to, but it does if you're neurotic like me about high quality ammo.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:34:45 AM EST
Originally Posted By Nameless_Hobo:
Sounds good to me, dude.
Only thing I would suggest is getting into reloading. You can load very good quality ammo for a lot cheaper than you can buy it, and build a skill at the same time. M193 works well, but if you can make your own ammo, loaded with better performing bullets, tailored to your rifle, for roughly the same price or less, why not?
I will say, reloading cheap/bulk grade ammo doesn't seem to save as much as it used to, but it does if you're neurotic like me about high quality ammo.
View Quote
I would love to get into reloading but time and space limit me to buying commercial ammo. hopefully one day soon!
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 4:10:49 PM EST
Originally Posted By winddummy82:
I would love to get into reloading but time and space limit me to buying commercial ammo. hopefully one day soon!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Sounds good to me, dude.

It's not too bad if you're reloading a couple calibers. Now, if you go nuts like my Dad and start loading 20+ calibers and casting different weights and styles of bullets for most of those, then it does get really bad really quick.

Lee has got a couple cheap single stage presses that you can dip your toes in with, they even have a handheld press that's less than 50 bucks. If you've got a table top, you can get into reloading. I started out on a Lee shotshell press screwed to a piece of plywood and C clamped on to the kitchen table when I was a teenager.
It's always fun to produce an item like that, then be able to use it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:13:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/10/2015 7:55:37 PM EST by jrs93accord]
Sounds like you have a good plan going. I started my ammo cache about 11 years ago. I have an assortment of .223 REM, XM193, M855/SS109, and 77 gr. OTM. It is mostly comprised of the XM193. I keep building up my cache a little at a time these days. I have one ammo can that I use for range work. When it gets down to a certain level, I buy more to replace what I used plus a few hundred rounds extra. I always stay up on my ammo count. All of my ammo is kept in a climate controlled environment and stored in its original container and/or in an ammo can. As was mentioned, having plenty of magazines is important too. I try to have at least 5 magazines per AR (36 of them) plus several extras. The goal is to always stay ahead of the game and never leave yourself short and needing some when it is too late.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:44:07 PM EST
I have 1300 rounds of Wolf Gold in a 40mm ammo can and there's room for probably another 800 (still in boxes).

40mm > 50cal ammo cans.

There's more ammo than that here. That's just my "Wolf Gold" box. I'm hoping to have around 10k of it eventually.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 9:05:30 AM EST
Originally Posted By jrs93accord:
Sounds like you have a good plan going. I started my ammo cache about 11 years ago. I have an assortment of .223 REM, XM193, M855/SS109, and 77 gr. OTM. It is mostly comprised of the XM193. I keep building up my cache a little at a time these days. I have one ammo can that I use for range work. When it gets down to a certain level, I buy more to replace what I used plus a few hundred rounds extra. I always stay up on my ammo count. All of my ammo is kept in a climate controlled environment and stored in its original container and/or in an ammo can. As was mentioned, having plenty of magazines is important too. I try to have at least 5 magazines per AR (36 of them) plus several extras. The goal is to always stay ahead of the game and never leave yourself short and needing some when it is too late.
View Quote
this guy gets it!
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 12:13:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2015 12:16:57 PM EST by jrs93accord]
this guy gets it!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jrs93accord:
this guy gets it!

Thank you.

Several years ago, myself and a few guys I worked with bought SKSs and eventually they bought ARs. I started stocking up on 7.62x39 as well as continued to stock up on .223 and 5.56. I told these guys that they had better get the getting while the getting was good. Well, they procrastinated and the next thing they knew was the ammo prices had gone up exponentially and availability was scarce. I would tell them about good ammo deals, but they just did not jump on them. They ended up with an SKS and an AR and no ammo supply. All the while, I had a nice stockpile going and a grin on my face. A few years later, one of them was asking me about ammo deals on 5.56. I told him what I knew of, but again, he waited and lost out on those deals. There is an old saying, "he who hesitates is lost". I refuse to be one of the "lost". As a matter of fact, I picked up a few more rounds of .223 and 5.56 on Friday morning from a guy on a local forum I belong to. It amounted to about 200 rounds for $70. It never hurts to have more.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:29:32 PM EST
1. Buy a stripper Lula.
2. Put your ammo on stripper clips.
3. Buy at least some M855 for enhanced penetrative ability. (300 rounds minimum)
4. Buy something better for accuracy/defense once you have enough M193 for defensive ammo/practice.(1000 rounds minimum) such as MK262, 5.56 TAP, Black Hills 77 TMK, etc.(500 rounds minimum)
5. Buy a barrier round/hunting round once you have enough of the ammo above like a TBBC, Gold Dot, DPX, etc.(300 rounds minimum)
6. Buy cheap plinking ammo so you don't use the above ammo (Wolf Gold, Freedom Munitions, etc. 1000 rounds minimum)
7. Go to step one and start another evolution.

After 3 evolutions just buy M193 until you get down to 1000 rounds of defensive, barrier, or M855 ammo, then buy more of that.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 8:19:28 AM EST
Originally Posted By DevL:
1. Buy a stripper Lula.
2. Put your ammo on stripper clips.
3. Buy at least some M855 for enhanced penetrative ability. (300 rounds minimum)
4. Buy something better for accuracy/defense once you have enough M193 for defensive ammo/practice.(1000 rounds minimum) such as MK262, 5.56 TAP, Black Hills 77 TMK, etc.(500 rounds minimum)
5. Buy a barrier round/hunting round once you have enough of the ammo above like a TBBC, Gold Dot, DPX, etc.(300 rounds minimum)
6. Buy cheap plinking ammo so you don't use the above ammo (Wolf Gold, Freedom Munitions, etc. 1000 rounds minimum)
7. Go to step one and start another evolution.

After 3 evolutions just buy M193 until you get down to 1000 rounds of defensive, barrier, or M855 ammo, then buy more of that.
View Quote

This man is a genius.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 8:23:11 AM EST
I buy a mix of defensive, hunting, and plinking ammo. Plinking ammo is amassed at 10-20X that of what I consider high quality ammo.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 8:36:19 AM EST
View All Quotes
Sounds good to me, dude.

The up front cost is tough to swallow, but worth it. Once you get your process down you can meet or exceed the quality/accuracy of factory ammo for less. I've been stockpiling a 55gr Hornady FMJ load to cover my bases, and am in the process of finishing off testing on a 77gr SMK load this week. The 55gr load costs me around 24cents a round, and i should be able to make the 77gr load for less than 50.

Compared to factory choices, those are quite a bargain, and makes for a lot less $ tied up on the shelf that (hopefully) will never be used.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:07:05 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/5/2015 10:09:24 PM EST by Notthatkindofnurse]
Ditch the 5 gal buckets and go all metal ammo cans. Desiccants rule! I use a label maker to identify the caliber and total round count of each can on the latch, then stack by caliber. Shop multiple web sites and locally for the best deals. Bulk ( and free shipping if possible) is the only way to buy ammo. Consider the above mentioned reloading. Buy cheap, stack deep!
Top Top