Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/21/2003 7:24:24 PM EDT
IS a carrier allowed or does that turn the whole gun into a "machinegun"
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:28:39 PM EDT
I'm thinking any "wrong" part will get you into a big mess----better off sticking with AR15 specific parts.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:42:00 PM EDT
Oh god, not this again???? Why oh why did you do this? [:D] This has been debated over and over, and the general consensus of the *legally informed* is that the carrier is perfectly fine, and legal to have in an AR15. Some shooters choose to use M16 carriers for the added weight of the carrier enhancing reliability as that is what the weapon was designed with. However, most *intelligent* people agree that it is not the best idea, to tempt fate by doing so.... and if you have one, best to neuter it by removing the section that is capable of tripping the autosear.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:46:58 PM EDT
It is legal, although ATF may try to take the rifle and tell you it isnt. Of the 5 uppers I have owned, one was Colt Sporter, two were semi, and the two I have (M4 and 9MM) have auto carriers. All RRA 9MM carriers are auto. I like the auto parts, because should I ever go to a big MG shoot or a rental range or something, I could slap my upper on it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:49:27 PM EDT
I doubt it'd be more reliable to have the M16 Bolt/Carrier in most AR15's. The only exception might be the new COLTS, that have a butchered bolt/carrier. It's not nearly as beefy.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 3:43:40 AM EDT
FALARAK is quite correct. The only mention I have found on this subject from the ATF is a warning that says if your rifle functions as a MG with the parts, then you're in trouble. There are no regulations, written opinions or rulings that say otherwise. What prudent people do is another issue as word has it that ATF field agents can be horribly misinformed on the law.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:01:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/22/2003 4:02:20 AM EDT by VA-gunnut]
For those people who don't go into the legal section: [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=6&t=147440]4-Page-Discussion-on-this-Topic.[/url]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:33:55 AM EDT
Sorry to have to ask and make this thread continue but.... whats the difference? I've noticed some carriers have a full 'circle' at the back looking from behind and some seem to be milled off at the 6 o'clock position. Is that the difference?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:09:27 AM EDT
See: [url]http://ar15.com/content/docs/AR15-M16Parts/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:32:52 AM EDT
Have M16 carriers in all of my ARs. To be on the safe side, I've always cut back the underside circle back about 3/8 inch, so they won't trip an auto sear. Look guys, the rifle was designed to function with a bolt/carrier assy of a certain weight. When Colt brought out the AR15 semi auto, they lightened the whole thing up by cutting a significant amount of weight out of the assembly, without adding any compensating weight to the buffer, or even strengthening the recoil spring. Result, much faster action speed; more wear; and more malfunctions. Y'all do what seems best to you. I did---and the SP1 I've owned since 1978, and fired Lord knows how many rounds out of, has needed exactly one part replaced in all those years; the extractor spring. [:D]
Top Top