Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/7/2004 8:50:00 PM EST
This may sound stupid but is there any such "animal" as a "left handed bolt carrier?"
And where do I get one if so? I've built several AR's and recently bought a left handed upper receiver & bolt on the EE and wanted to try my hand at building a "lefty." Can anybody help me out with some info?

Hessian-1(the lefty)out!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:52:05 AM EST
Stag Arms makes one but you have to buy the whole upper or rifle to get it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:52:39 AM EST
DPMS
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:32:33 AM EST

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
DPMS

Check again. Theirs is a RH BC w/a LH bolt.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:30:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By SHIPSNIPE1:

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
DPMS

Check again. Theirs is a RH BC w/a LH bolt.

My bad. How would a lefty bolt carrier be different?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:02:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2004 7:03:34 PM EST by SHIPSNIPE1]
Easy, everything is a mirror image of the 'normal' right handed version.

FWD Assist ratchet grooves on the left vice right, dust cover cutout on the left vice right, etc.

Doesn't mean it won't function with a right handed bolt carrier. RH bolt carriers are what DPMS provided for its 'Southpaw' uppers. Of course the FA and DC were a moot point since they couldn't be bothered to include them in their 'lefty' design.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:11:24 PM EST
DPMS does make a carrier for there lefthanded uppers its 50 or 60 bucks
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:16:03 AM EST

Originally Posted By MGP:
DPMS does make a carrier for there lefthanded uppers its 50 or 60 bucks

60 bucks for a stripped bolt. I have never heard of a DPMS LH carrier. All their standard carriers are >$100.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:08:05 PM EST
Their most recent catalog lists a left-handed bolt, but no mention of a left-handed carrier. Their Southpaw Panther rifle still has the forward assist on the right side, so I would assume it's using a standard carrier as well...
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:40:53 AM EST
Definetely go with a Stag15-L. It is a true mirror image upper. The Bolt assy and carrier are lefty and it cams to the left, it has a brass deflector on left side, the ejection port cover swings up and the barrel extenstion is customized leftie. I just picked one up for my wife and she loves it. What a great design.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:48:58 PM EST
Its not in there catalog i called them and they have one for the lowpro
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:11:58 PM EST
I honestly don't know how a backwards AR could possibly be more ergonomic for a lefty.

Everything is right where I want it, with an ambi safety anyway.

What's the advantage? I'm curious.

Can you not reach the forward assist with your thumb?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:21:24 AM EST
The Foward assist is on the left side. Also if your a leftie shooting a right hand gun you have hot brass flying right by your face, that can't be to comfortable. The advantage is that it is made for a left hand shooter. Why shot a right hand rifle when you could shoot left
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:31:51 AM EST
If anything I think the lefty design is safer for lefties. Any one who has shot left handed knows how close some of that brass can come to your face or neck. But that still isn't the greatest danger, anyone looking at the RH AR or any other RH rifle for that matter, can see that they are designed to optimize any gas venting to the RH side of the rifle. Thjs is great and safe for a right handed person but twice as dangerous for a lefty. If something goes wrong the southpaw is taking it right in the kisser. Even during normal functioning I get showered with minute amounts of unburnt powder and any excess lubricant; just take a look at my safety glasses when I am done. Any reprieve from this is very welcome.
Top Top