Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/15/2009 7:55:26 PM EDT
How do ya'll compensate for this major issue?  Thanks !

...and I don't want to shoot left handed, it doesn't feel right.

Would I have issues as well shooting with either an Eotech or Aimpoint?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
How do ya'll compensate for this major issue?  Thanks !

...and I don't want to shoot left handed, it doesn't feel right.

Would I have issues as well shooting with either an Eotech or Aimpoint?

The issue is gone with a red dot but you should train more.

- Left eye dominant, right handed.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:22:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I have some minor eye problems that make it difficult for me to use BUIS or a regular scope, but I have no problems shooting a pistol using my left eye.  I also have no problems shooting with an Aimpoint or Eotech or a few smaller red dots like millet sp-1 on some pistols.  I can't stand the thought of shooting a rifle left handed, either, except for practice for tactical purposes.  One thing that does allow me to shoot right eyed with a scope is putting tape over the left lens of shooting glasses so I can keep both eyes open.  You might try that.  I have 20/20 vision, but have a refocusing problem with my left eye.  Not a problem if I leave both eyes open
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:05:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Back is 1985 I had my 3rd bike wreck
spent months in the hospital
anyway after the wreck I see  20 19

My Left is stronger

I use both eyes open and a Aimpoint/ Eotech

I shoot just fine

I dont shoot over 220y with a M4
since most my shots will be up close I shoot close range

I can nail a tin can at the berm  220y

so Im GTG with a M4
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:17:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I was like that when I was a kid.  So I shot lefty until I trained to make my dominant eye which ever one I choose

Now I shoot ambi and pretty much shoot left and right every time at the range as I please  
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:30:36 PM EDT
[#5]
im a righty but shoot left since I am L eye dom.
I think that if you are shooting right handed but using your left eye... heres your sign

I think that shooting that way my entire life as well as having a better picture makes things easier to shoot lefty.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:17:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
im a righty but shoot left since I am L eye dom.
I think that if you are shooting right handed but using your left eye... heres your sign

I think that shooting that way my entire life as well as having a better picture makes things easier to shoot lefty.

I think you should use both eyes open
heres your sign
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:59:27 AM EDT
[#7]
It is not a problem for me with any rifles. In the past it has been a problem shooting a shotgun with both eyes open because I naturally look down the left side of the barrell  instead of the rib. After many, many thousands of rounds I have gotten use to it though but I hate it for anyone starting off shooting a shotgun wingshooting. Best of luck and shoot away!

ARSC
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:35:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Here is a link to the LEO forum where this was discussed by several Rifle instructors from several departments in length just a few days ago. Very good read it I think it will help. Post a question in there Im sure it will get answered. Red dot will eliminate most of the problem but I believe you should learn to shoot your irons before going with an optic.

Linky

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:59:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I am right handed but can't use my right eye much at all, near or far.  I grew up playing with toy guns shooting right handed, so when I bought my first gun, a bolt action with a scope for right handed shooters no less, I could not shoot right handed.  It took me some time to get used to shooting left handed but I have gotten so used to it that is actually feels wierd to hold a gun right handed.  

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that you may be able to get away with a red dot or both eyes open, but you should keep your shooting consistant as possible and just switch to left handed shooting.  That goes for rifle (scoped, red dot, iron sights), shotgun and handgun.  That way, if you pick up a scoped gun, you dont have to worry that you wont feel comfortable holding it left handed.  It won't take as long as you think to switch and it will pay off in the long run.  You will just need to practice until you feel comfortable.

The only guns that I can't shoot comfortably are bolt action guns (in right handed configuration) and 1911 pistols without ambi safety.  Semi auto rifles (like my AR, M1a and Garand) require no adjustments.  I don't really even think about buying the Stag left handed because it's just not a big deal to shoot the AR left handed.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:42:42 AM EDT
[#10]
A quick test a marksmanship instructor showed me, to determine which eye is dominant:

Extend your arms fully out in front of you, with both hands form a triangular opening to look through.  Sorta like the old joke about being a cinematographer and eying up a shot with your hands out.

With both eyes opened and looking through the triangular opening in your hands, move your hands over a small target and center that target in the center of the opening in your hands.  Keeping you hands, head and eyes still, alternate closing one eye and viewing with the other eye, right/left.  

One eye will be dead center on the target framed by your hands, the other eye will be off to one side, the eye that is still centered on target that you used both eyes to line up, is your dominant eye.

Can't hurt to confirm which eye is actually dominant, and its NOT some other problem effecting your shooting.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:00:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A quick test a marksmanship instructor showed me, to determine which eye is dominant:

Extend your arms fully out in front of you, with both hands form a triangular opening to look through.  Sorta like the old joke about being a cinematographer and eying up a shot with your hands out.

With both eyes opened and looking through the triangular opening in your hands, move your hands over a small target and center that target in the center of the opening in your hands.  Keeping you hands, head and eyes still, alternate closing one eye and viewing with the other eye, right/left.  

One eye will be dead center on the target framed by your hands, the other eye will be off to one side, the eye that is still centered on target that you used both eyes to line up, is your dominant eye.

Can't hurt to confirm which eye is actually dominant, and its NOT some other problem effecting your shooting.

This method does work.

I believe it to be a good idea to learn how to shoot firearms both ways. My father started me shooting long guns around age six or so. i was not strong enough to hold the gun up with my left arm since i am right handed so I shot lefty for a long time. i eventually taught myself to shoot right handed and now I can shoot both ways equally well. This is an advantage as you can choose which way to hold to make the smoothest transition around a corner or shooting from cover.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:29:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Left eye Dom, and righty here...

I learned to shoot right handed, and have been doing so for more than 20 years.  So trying to shoot lefty is out of the question.  What I have to do is squint my left eye.  Its still open, but it allows my right eye to take over...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:00:24 AM EDT
[#13]
its one of those things you have to deal with, no gadgets can fix this one. the only thing you can do is practice. just sit in front of the tv and sight in lefty on whatevers on. it gets annoying but it helped me out.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Left eye Dom, and righty here...

I learned to shoot right handed, and have been doing so for more than 20 years.  So trying to shoot lefty is out of the question.  What I have to do is squint my left eye.  Its still open, but it allows my right eye to take over...

Thats exactly what I do. I have no problems what so ever.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:59:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Learn to shoot left handed.  The military teaches to shoot with the dominant eye, at least they did.

Or you can fight nature and try to learn to shoot right handed.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:16:21 PM EDT
[#16]
either shoot with the side corresponding to your dominant eye or retain your eyes. it happened to me, i shoot left and was originally left eye dominant. i go into long rang shooting and with variable power scopes i learned to shoot both eyes open (for moving targets ect..), well that fucked me up. right eye became dominate. after when i shot pistol i would shoot left handed but both eyes open, POI would be 3" to the right, so basically my right eye became dominate. Way i fixed this is, take your shooting glasses and put scotch tape over the lenses that is your current dominant eye. Example, left hand shooting, and right eye dominate, put tape over right lenses. Therefore it will force you to shoot with the eye that is corresponding to your stance, right handed, right eye dominant. It will take approx a month or longer depending how much you shoot. Oh and you will get headaches. LOL
It doenst hurt to wear those glasses all the time, and like i said about a month your brain will rewire your head.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:51:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I had surgery on my right eye a couple of years ago and it is now much weaker than my left eye.  I bought an EoTech... since it has no magnification it is easy to shoot with both eyes open.  It took some practice to get both eyes to work together (the left sees the target and the right sees the dot) but I'm really happy with the red dot.  Practice, practice, practice.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#18]
practice makes perfect!!!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:36:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Im left handed and have been shooting left side w/ right eye closed for a few years,  but I have decided that while im still young (and a relatively new shooter) that I would start shooting my dominant eye (right).  Its still a little awkward for me to shoot right side,  but with time and practice my minor muscle movements will improve and I will be a fully ambidextrous shooter.  Imagine trying to shoot sporting clays with one eye closed .
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top