Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/13/2013 12:21:01 PM EDT
Any issues with running lead round nose bullets in a 8.5inch CMMG 9mm upper?
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 12:33:27 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll want to keep the velocity down to avoid excess leading.  Other than that, as long as your bullet design feeds well, you should be GTG.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#2]
yes I shoot these in other pistols with no leading issues but I will keep an eye out for that.

What you guys use for cleaning lead fouling since you brought it up?
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#3]
you will be fine i use 4.5 grains w 231 with 115 and 4.2 grains w 231 with the 124 grain lead bullets and they are GTG.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I know a few folks who use lead in their 9mm ARs, but most hated it and changed over to a moly coated bullet.

Thus solving the leading problem in the barrel and possible leading problem when running suppressor.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Not a problem, if you like cleaning lead.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#6]
You can have issues if the bullet diameter isn't compatible with the bore diameter; watch for keyholes.
Otherwise, you're GTG, cleaning issues not withstanding.
Personally I like the Berry's plated, but they have been hard as hell to find of late.
Moon
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#7]
just shoot 100 lead and then shoot 5-10 FMJ and the lead will be gone even if there is any leading.

I have been using a new to me bullet and its much cleaner and less smoky as there is no lube wax on them.

bayou bullets
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 9:33:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not a problem, if you like cleaning lead.
View Quote

Yep, pretty much what I have learned.

Keep your 9mm lead going slow....shot fast it leaves behind stuff you don't need in your barrel...I know....
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 9:35:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You can have issues if the bullet diameter isn't compatible with the bore diameter; watch for keyholes.
Otherwise, you're GTG, cleaning issues not withstanding.
Personally I like the Berry's plated, but they have been hard as hell to find of late.
Moon
View Quote

Berrys and Rainier plated are both my main loads for range work. No issues with either.

Oh, you should have bought them back in November...$88 a thousand delivered.....always keep a good stock on hand for those rainy days.....

Oh, they are IN STOCK if you look....9mm Bullets in stock at Midway
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Any opinion on the Ranier bullets?  I've not tried them.

One caveat on the Berry's; I shot them in a Glock, and there seems to be the same issues there as with plain lead; lousy groupings and keyholes.
Moon
Link Posted: 8/17/2013 6:37:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
just shoot 100 lead and then shoot 5-10 FMJ and the lead will be gone even if there is any leading.

I have been using a new to me bullet and its much cleaner and less smoky as there is no lube wax on them.

bayou bullets
View Quote

I use the same bullets for my Limited gun, great product!
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 1:12:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Any opinion on the Ranier bullets?  I've not tried them.

One caveat on the Berry's; I shot them in a Glock, and there seems to be the same issues there as with plain lead; lousy groupings and keyholes.
Moon
View Quote

Ranier TMJ can be treated like normal FMJ bullets - the best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Been shooting both Rainier and Berry plated bullets for years in my 9mm carbines. No problem with either in leading or accuracy. Keep in mind if you slow them down to prevent leading or bullet deformation you may need a slightly faster twist in your barrel to keep them stabilized. Lot of times a slow bullet doesn't do well out of a standard twist 9mm barrel. A 1:10 twist is better in this case than a 1:16.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Any issues with running lead round nose bullets in a 8.5inch CMMG 9mm upper?
View Quote

I ran about 300 through mine.  Still have lead in the flash hider from it and that was 2 years ago.  They were 115gr Space Coast Bullets over 5 grains of Win 231
I have been running 115 grain Montana Golds ever since.  I do not like cleaning guns so I do not run lead through it any more. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:26:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Lead will cake up on your flash hider.  

Plated bullets solve this issue.  I use Berry's.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top