BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/25/2002 8:43:41 AM EDT
hello everyone. does anyone have
any thoughts on boresighters? waste
of time/money? or should i stick with
the old fashion shoot and adjust? thanks.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never had a need for them.  I guess their value would be to get on paper the first shot.  I just tack up my target on a sheet of newspaper and go from there.  In 10 - 20 shots my rifle is sighted in.  (If my ammo is consistant.  One time it wasn't.)
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought a tasco model on closeout at Natchez. Comes with arbors to fit all caliber, and 3 batteries. regular $90, closeout $30.

Laser works great BUT I still get better results just looking through the bore. The laser system is the best way to boresight guns that you can't see through though (pistols, levera action rifles etc)
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 2:28:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I purchased two .223 Alpec laser boresighters from Cabela's for use on our unit's M16/M4's.

Haven't really used them for the issue weapons, but I've tried them on my personal AR's and this is what I came up with.

When I'd laser boresight, my iron sights on both weapons pretty much end up centered.  On my Bushmaster M4 upper, I suspected this wasn't correct since I knew that it took roughly 8-10 clicks of windage to live fire zero.

Sure enough, after live fire zeroing the irons and optics on both weapons, I put the laser boresighter back in and the dot is now off to the right, and low, on both weapons.

So what's up with the difference of the point of impact between the laser and live ammunition?  

I sure as heck don't know, and would love for someone here to explain it to me.

Chris
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a laser bore-sighter  which I have used on several rifles.  It is a nice tool to have when you first mount a scope, as its purpose is to get you on paper at 25 yards.  I have also found that the point of impact of live rounds is not the same as that aligned with the laser.  The laser may not be aligned perfectly within its casing or the case does not seat correctly within the chamber, would be my guess as to the reason.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top