Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2006 9:16:11 AM EDT
From time to time, I see a reference to a full-sized gun safe that can be disassembled to make it easier to transport.  I will be moving soon and am not looking forward to dragging my 800 lb safe out of the basement.  I'm half tempted to sell the safe with the house.  I would then need a new safe, and something that would move easier the next time, but was still full-sized and fire rated, would probably be a good option.  

Any suggestions?

Anyone have any experience with one of these?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:28:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Zanotti Armor iis exactly what you're looking for...Also, do a search as this subject has been covered in the past.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Zanotti Armor iis exactly what you're looking for...Also, do a search as this subject has been covered in the past.

That's a great idea.  Are they as secure as a 1-piece safe though?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Thanks that's just what I was looking for.  I tried a search but didn't come up with anything.

It would sure be nice if they listed prices somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:19:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Another quality knock-down is the GunnGard, or perhaps GunnGuard. They're in NW Indiana. Good stuff...good enough that my locksmith recommends their locking mechanisms.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's the Zanotti site:  www.zanottiarmor.com
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:23:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had a Zanotti Armory safe for about 10 years now. I love it. At 850 pounds it can still be knocked down, transported, and reassembled by one person and a two-wheeled truck or dolly. If you live in a house like I lived in there was no way in hell to get a 52 gun safe in it without doing serious structural reworking, and the home I am in now and where I have the safe there is no way to get the safe in, or out of the room without disassembly. Once the safe is put together it is as strong and sturdy as any safe I have seen.
Fire proofing, bah! On the lower floors of a home a fire would have to burn the home down to the ground before the inside of the safe would over heat and damage the firearms. And get real, your guns are much more apt to be a victim of burglary than fire.
An excellent product and an excellent price. When it is time for another you can bet your last dollar I will be getting another Zanotti safe.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks to everyone for the response.  Is there anywhere on the net that lists prices for zanotti safes?  I'm not having much luck.

I guess I'll try calling their number on Monday.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:53:12 PM EDT
[#9]
 I have seen 2 zanotti safes that the dial went bad on. Granted they were opened and closed a lot but Zanotti lacks a Sargent and Greenleaf lock. The safes are tough as all hell and the door can be a real "man killer" to move. Make sure you bolt it down as the back wall is a little thin, and look into having a S&G combo dial installed, but overall one hell of a safe!
 BTW When you assemble it make sure you wear hearing protection. You'll be inside it pounding in the assembly pins with a hammer.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#10]
 Zanotti is made in Iowa, depending on your location in MO you might be better off to pick it up yourself. A little road trip is good for the soul.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:26:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
 Zanotti is made in Iowa, depending on your location in MO you might be better off to pick it up yourself. A little road trip is good for the soul.

I was considering that anyway.  I've been commuting between MO and MI for the last few months, so adding a few more hours to the trip really isn't that big of a deal.  I'm still not having any luck finding a price list though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#12]
How much do Zanotti safes usually run about?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I know this is vague, but they run from about $1,500 to $2,300ish.  When I called they were great about giving prices.  In general I found there prices about 10% or more less then the "big name" safes.  I love the idea of a safe that is too big to get out of the door that it came in.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
 I have seen 2 zanotti safes that the dial went bad on. Granted they were opened and closed a lot but Zanotti lacks a Sargent and Greenleaf lock.

I mentioned this to Mark at Zanotti before ordering mine and he said he was having trouble with S&G so he started using Lagard locks. He said lowering costs was not the reason for the switch as they are close to each other in price. I guess I'll have to see if mine holds up.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:17:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I have one. 2 years ago some one tried to brake into it and it held up just fine just some bent corners. Even though it can be broken down it still ways a ton like other big safes
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top