Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/28/2003 2:28:43 PM EDT
I was gonna buy my AR from aimsurplus but they were out of stock so I just sprang the extra $150 to buy it locally instead of waiting 3 weeks. So I got my bushmaster 20" A2 and it looks sweet! Can't wait to try her out. What should I do to clean it for the first time? Anything I need to do in particular? Also what are good types of mags to get? Are the british steel magazines good? Also where can I get original USGI mags?
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:50:37 PM EDT
whew, so many questions. ask them one at a time to get your post count up![:D] british mags good, usgi good. stay away from usa mags. cleaning? im old skool. hoppes#9 nothing fancy but it works.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:54:41 PM EDT
Welcome to the Black Rifle Addiction... Start out by reading the manual that Bushy included with the rifle and clean it following Bushmaster's recommendations using CLP before you go to the range for the first time. USGI mags are the best and you can find some great deals here on ARFcom in the Equipment Exchange...
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:17:11 PM EDT
Congrats on your New Bushmaster A2, I also went with Bushy A2, with 16" GI style barrel, added a new version of M4 Car stock and a brake, oh and forend grip. [:D] Stick with US GI mags, but the SA80 mags work fine to. TG
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:29:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Nuclear: I was gonna buy my AR from aimsurplus but they were out of stock so I just sprang the extra $150 to buy it locally instead of waiting 3 weeks. So I got my bushmaster 20" A2 and it looks sweet! Can't wait to try her out. What should I do to clean it for the first time? Anything I need to do in particular? Also what are good types of mags to get? Are the british steel magazines good? Also where can I get original USGI mags?
View Quote
The british steel mags are the best. USGI are almost as good. You'll be happy with either.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:02:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/28/2003 4:03:11 PM EDT by Nuclear]
Is it okay to let the bolt fly forward on an empty mag, or is it better to hold the charging handle and let it move back slowly? [url=http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/d/b/dbl125/ar2.jpg]Here's a really big pic![/url] Here's another one: [img]http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/d/b/dbl125/ar1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:01:06 PM EDT
Uh... Yep... You're already addicted [;)] You can drop the bolt on an empty chamber or ease it down... Personally, I ease the bolt down...
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:02:17 PM EDT
Congrats Nuclear. Nice 20" you have there.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:04:07 PM EDT
I just field stripped it and it seems to have a nice light coat of oil over all the parts from the factory, so I don't think I need to bother cleaning it until after I go shooting. Is it okay to dry-fire it to practice the trigger feel?
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:12:06 PM EDT
Nuke, Nice rifle, same I started with. At LEAST run a patch down the bore to make sure it is unobstructed (hey, stranger things have happened) and free from abraisive stuff. Doc
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:15:37 PM EDT
well I looked down the barrel and it looked fine. I need to buy a .22 bore snake or cleaning rod since the only ones I have are for .30/7.62 or .45's.
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 9:38:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/6/2003 9:38:27 PM EDT by MaverickMkii]
You now have THE standard backbone of AR15...now start working on your 2nd! [:D]
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 10:01:45 PM EDT
yay forums finally back! anyway, over the last week I bought a 5 pack of teflon coated Labelle USGI mags from ammoman.com. They seem to be very nice, and they should be considering their cost! Right now I'm waiting for the damn snow to clear so I can finally go out and shoot my rifle! [cuss] [>Q] I just have one question right now, why does it seem like the upper and lower recievers are slightly loose? They have a little bit of play between them and I can see a narrow slit of light where they come in contact. I would think this would let a lot of dirt come into the gun...Also the handguards seem to be a little loose, they can rotate little bit. Is there any way to fix these things?
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 11:50:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/7/2003 12:20:18 AM EDT by _DR]
Very nice! Welcome to the Black Rifle Brotherhood. You don't fix them, this is normal. It will not affect accuracy.If it bugs you you can get an accuwedge or a tensioner takedown pin, but then it will be a biatch to pop out your rear takedown pin. It is fine to dry fire it. Answers to other questions you will ask after you shoot it: Yes, it is normal to hear a Twaaaang noise when you shoot it. It's the buffer, not all ARs make the noise, though one of mine does, the other doesn't. All the M16s I was issued in my younger days made this noise. Yes, you should feed it good ammo. Surplus XM193 is OK, winchester white box, any domestic ammo, really. I would avoid Russian ammo and steel cased ammo,and copper washed steel bullet ammo like S&B. although some like these becasue they are cheap there can be issues like brass failure. Be wary of reloads, if you didn't reload them. Yes, you should break in your barrel properly the first time you fire it if you have time. Swab the bore with CLP at least once, then follow up with a dry patch after every round for the first 50, then after every three for the next 25, then after every five until you hit 100 rounds. You can use a full metal jacket 5.56 bullet tip to adjust your front sight post if you don't have or don't want to buy a sight tool. My DI drilled that into me so much I still use the bullet method even though I have a sight tool. Again, congratulations!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:26:47 AM EDT
I installed an accuwedge on my new Bushy ,Big improvement!As far as the loose handguards get a tube of JB weld and put a little bead on the front lip of both handguards after you remove them, once its cured you can fit the handguards with a file these two improvements made my Bushmaster rock solid and cost me a total of $7 Mike
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:21:18 AM EDT
Congrats on the new Bushy. Just read the manuel thats with it and break it down a few times and put it back together to get acustom to it. Clean and lub it real good with BreakFree CLP. Also you may want to practice firing it a little by dry firing it. Just aim out the window or something and practice aim and trigger pull (with no ammo in it , of course). Then get some 223/5.56 ammo and go sight it in. USGI mags are the only way to go.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:05:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Nuclear: well I looked down the barrel and it looked fine. I need to buy a .22 bore snake or cleaning rod since the only ones I have are for .30/7.62 or .45's.
View Quote
Welcome, and congrats! I'd still want to put at least a dry patch down the bore before shooting, as some oil and factory lubes can be clear and hard to see. [coffee]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:09:33 AM EDT
BTW, I have an AR 20" no comp, and love it! Best gun I have ever owned!! Easy on the ears too. [coffee]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:47:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By alpo: Also you may want to practice firing it a little by dry firing it. Just aim out the window or something and practice aim and trigger pull
View Quote
Good point here. Also place a dime on the barrel near the muzzle and if you can pull the trigger without knocking the dime off, you are on the road to accurate shooting. Good Shooting!!
Top Top