Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 5:37:52 PM EDT
hey guys...new to the site and i just received my first ar15.  it's a colt hbarII and i'm sure you guys know everything that's on it already so i won't bore you with bone stock details but here are some pics along with my glock17.  needless to say mods will come in the future but i want to fully understand my rifle b4 i start adding stuff on.  a lil background on me....i am a senior in my last semester of college interning w/ the champaign p.d. and after this semester will be returning for graduate school.  my major is law enforcement with a minor in computer science.....i have collected rifles for a long time but this is my first newer, more aggressive looking rifle.  it is used and had less than 100 rounds fire thru it when i bought it (bought it off a police officer here in champaign) and as you can see it looks brand new.  also it's a 2001 model.  if ne body can tell  me anything interesting about this rifle feel free....opinions/comments appreciated and i've been doing a lot of reading and i must say this is the site to be at.  so i'm glad to be a part of the family now.
http://photos-097.facebook.com/n11/122/43/30404315/n30404315_30298097_92.jpg
http://photos-101.facebook.com/n11/122/43/30404315/n30404315_30298101_1477.jpg
http://photos-106.facebook.com/n11/122/43/30404315/n30404315_30298106_3072.jpg
http://photos-108.facebook.com/n11/122/43/30404315/n30404315_30298108_3716.jpg
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks bro
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to the site , I also own a colt Hbar II  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:22:00 PM EDT
[#5]
sweet....what are the main malfunctions if any and what should i replace/mod first???
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
sweet....what are the main malfunctions if any and what should i replace/mod first???

can't think of any malfunctions at all , & what mods you want to do is entirely up to you , there are a lot of Great looking Ar pics & lots of fine folks with great information  on this site  that can kinda guide you.... first thing I did on mine was to go to a FF handguard though  & put a spring kit  in the trigger assembly. but really how much you depends on how much u want ta spend lol.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice colt.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#9]
well this is gonna be a slow building/modding process i have a '69 mustang that was the same way...now 7 years later and it's still not complete...drivable and gets looks...yes but still not complete so like that i know it'll take money which unfortunately doesn't grow off trees lol....but since i will be going into the law enforcement field this rifle could very well someday safe my life and i guess after doing some searches there are just so many options and so many answers that i have confuse myself....this will be a range rifle for now so i can get comfortable with it but if on down the road if i have to do close quarters combat i don't  want to have wasted a crapload of money on stuff i didn't need for that....but then i guess i could just get two lol....one of the sgt.'s on swat here at champaign just got an mp5 cuz his ar was too long for his likings....it's fitted with the EOtech 550 since our swat just got NV....it's frickin sweet...but ne ways back on topic....right now i'm leaning towards a red dot/triangle system with buis....(just gonna cut my detachable CH and turn my rear into buis)....ff handguards....vertical handle....and probably a laser at some point but i want to keep it simple yet effective....maybe scratch the laser and just get the tac light oh decisions decisions....okay i apologize for rambling on...thanks everyone and i'm excited to start learning!!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Welcome to the site,and congrats ! First thing is get rid of that brake and install a Phantom.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#11]
oh and while i'm on it...how effective is my flash suppressor??? here's a pic

http://photos-099.facebook.com/n11/122/43/30404315/n30404315_30298099_726.jpg

i shot it earlier this evening for the first time and it does produce a flash but not too bad....just wondered if this was for looks per say or actually is effective...i know there are better out there like the vortex  but i was just wondering ne one's thought. thanks!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#12]
btw sabre that thing is sweet....i love bipods but not really ne use to what i'm lookin to do with this rifle
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
well this is gonna be a slow building/modding process i have a '69 mustang that was the same way...now 7 years later and it's still not complete...drivable and gets looks...yes but still not complete so like that i know it'll take money which unfortunately doesn't grow off trees lol....but since i will be going into the law enforcement field this rifle could very well someday safe my life and i guess after doing some searches there are just so many options and so many answers that i have confuse myself....this will be a range rifle for now so i can get comfortable with it but if on down the road if i have to do close quarters combat i don't  want to have wasted a crapload of money on stuff i didn't need for that....but then i guess i could just get two lol....one of the sgt.'s on swat here at champaign just got an mp5 cuz his ar was too long for his likings....it's fitted with the EOtech 550 since our swat just got NV....it's frickin sweet...but ne ways back on topic....right now i'm leaning towards a red dot/triangle system with buis....(just gonna cut my detachable CH and turn my rear into buis)....ff handguards....vertical handle....and probably a laser at some point but i want to keep it simple yet effective....maybe scratch the laser and just get the tac light oh decisions decisions....okay i apologize for rambling on...thanks everyone and i'm excited to start learning!!!

Keep it stock. Build a second AR-15 with all the options you want.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

photos-099.facebook.com/n11/122/43/30404315/n30404315_30298099_726.jpg

i shot it earlier this evening for the first time and it does produce a flash but not too bad....just wondered if this was for looks per say or actually is effective...i know there are better out there like the vortex  but i was just wondering ne one's thought. thanks!

Im probably wrong but I belive your colt has a compensator rather then a flash supressor. Nice rifle btw, I got a Colt Hbar aswell im sure you will love it as I love mine.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:58:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Get a Crane or VLTOR collapsible stock and have the muzzle brake replaced with an A2 flash supressor.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#16]
See, now his stock doesn't look all that ungainly on that one.  Must be the 16" barrel and that big flash suppressor / brake, whatever it is.  I got a friend who has something very similar on his.

Nice carbine 5.0.  Do you drive a camaro or a mustang?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#17]
i drive a '69 mustang w/ a punched out 302 to 306...350 hp all motor....so it is a 5.0 liter and also intended for my name to have the double meaning of that and the police saying of "five oh" hehe....ya good call on it not being a suppressor...thanks for the info
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:15:53 PM EDT
[#18]
You got a compensator.
Looks like it is blind pinned as well.

You from Illinois?
I hope that new bill doesn't pass - sorry to rain on your parade.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#19]
sorry newb here so blind pin means what exactly? also whats the new bill? don't think i've heard...you don't have to go into detail about the bill just tell me what it is and i'll look it up...thanks
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:18:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey! is that some sort of bauch&lomb/aimpoint lazer eye?
Man that's cool, I gotta get me one.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
sorry newb here so blind pin means what exactly? also whats the new bill? don't think i've heard...you don't have to go into detail about the bill just tell me what it is and i'll look it up...thanks

Blind pinning is that little pin you see and 12 o clock, and at 6 oclock on your muzzle device.
You will have to get a dremel and grind down through the comp to get to the pins in order to remove the compensator.
Make sure to measure your bbl length - if it is under 16 without a muzle device, you will need to perm. attach a phantom or vortex to keep it legal.

Ill has a new ban of sorts coming up - if it goes down, pretty much all semi-autos will be illegal in your state.
i.e. turn them in, get them out of the state, or go to jail.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#22]
ya i figured i'd save the 3-400 on the aimpoint and just go with my red eye natural aimpoint....for looks of course lol....nice observation lol..............and thanks for the info on the bill doctor.....well i better hurry up and start applying at police departments then and start using my degree and scratch the master's plan lol...........oh i will be pissed if that passes!!!!....damn commies!!! lol.....actually i take that back...damn liberals lol
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:37:43 PM EDT
[#23]

nanogramshippie.gif
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#24]
oh wow and after reading up on the new proposed ban some cooky lady, Rep. Linda Chapa LaVia wants to ban water guns in IL too.....damn chicagoans and their liberalness!!!! no offense to chicagoans b/c my g/f is from chicago and is far from liberal i'm just pissed b/c it's the blago/daley (gov./mayor of chicago) combo again and i'm tired of hearing about them.....our govenor acts like all their is in IL is chicago...not once has he came downstate and seen the rest of IL!!....aside from springfield, IL (our capital) i'm sure he doesn't know that any other city/town exist!!! grrrrrr!!! you can check out all the news on Illinois State Rifle Association Website...ne ways i'm done ranting for the moment hehe
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:29:36 PM EDT
[#25]
nothing you need to replace, it's a colt
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:44:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Congrats on the New Colt

Now go and post a pic in the Colt Industry, Show us your Colts Thread
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:56:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice rifle.... go and buy some ammo.... ammoman has some good m855 sealed in the can.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:24:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Nice rifle. I too say leave it stock. I might get the FS /compensator changed out to a A2 one. But she looks good. Feed her good ammo and get good mags ( USGI ) . Lube properly and she will hum all day long. Congrads WarDawg
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:44:12 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
hey guys...new to the site and i just received my first ar15.  it's a colt hbarII and i'm sure you guys know everything that's on it already so i won't bore you with bone stock details but here are some pics along with my glock17.  needless to say mods will come in the future but i want to fully understand my rifle b4 i start adding stuff on.  a lil background on me....i am a senior in my last semester of college interning w/ the champaign p.d. and after this semester will be returning for graduate school.  my major is law enforcement with a minor in computer science.....i have collected rifles for a long time but this is my first newer, more aggressive looking rifle.  it is used and had less than 100 rounds fire thru it when i bought it (bought it off a police officer here in champaign) and as you can see it looks brand new.  also it's a 2001 model.  if ne body can tell  me anything interesting about this rifle feel free....opinions/comments appreciated and i've been doing a lot of reading and i must say this is the site to be at.  so i'm glad to be a part of the family now.
photos-097.facebook.com/n11/122/43/30404315/n30404315_30298097_92.jpg
photos-101.facebook.com/n11/122/43/30404315/n30404315_30298101_1477.jpg
photos-106.facebook.com/n11/122/43/30404315/n30404315_30298106_3072.jpg
photos-108.facebook.com/n11/122/43/30404315/n30404315_30298108_3716.jpg

Congrats , you made a wise choice. The Colt if the finest AR on the market.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:44:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Terrific AR you have there, 5.0

I would concur with others who suggest you should get out and become proficient with your rifle and get to know it like you know you handgun - inside out.

You do have a bit of an unusual configuration with the fixed A2 stock and 16" barrel. Plus the aftermarket compensator is something Id plan to replace with either a Phantom Vortex or even A2 Birdcage. But that can wait as it doesn't really change reliability or accuracy - just your low light signature and your hearing

Provided its legal, I'd go with one of the popular collapsible stocks also as the gun can fit you in any number of clothing combos, and really put your eye relief where its best

Welcome to AR15.com and keep us posted on your progress!

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:01:13 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

photos-099.facebook.com/n11/122/43/30404315/n30404315_30298099_726.jpg

I had one of those brakes on my first Colt...which was a post ban HBAR.  Don't think about shooting that without hearing protection using that brake.  Loudest rifle I've ever heard and I've been around a few boomers.   Had Wilson put on their faux flash suppressor before the ban was lifted and the result was very nice.  

Anyway, nice Colt.  You'll like it a lot.

Jeff  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:09:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Nice rifle.

Max
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:44:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:57:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Nice gun and congrats.

If I bought a new gun like yours I would change the muzzle brake first asap with either Phantom, Vortex and even a regular A2 FS.

Then I would replace the stock with a good collapsible stock and then add the dot sight and BUIS.

Don't forget to get more mags (at least a minimum of 20) and lots of ammo.

My carbine is similar to yours except mine is a Colt LE 6721 A3 tactical carbine.

Welcome to the Black Rifle Disease (BRD) club.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#35]
anothergene its funny you mention the first pic cuz my mom said the same thing....she sees the pic and goes....gawdddd we look like a bunch of rednecks...with the lit cig and open beer lol....i mean my parents are farmers and i live in the country so we pretty much are country folk lol but guys i can't tell you what it means to receive all the compliments....i'll post in the colt section later with some pix....just got a new gun safe today for my apartment in champaign so i can shoot at our pti w/ the police dept. and being that  my two other safes are full and at home.....ya i'm definately changing the compensator....and i always wear protection...i've already got a hearing loss (born with it) and the wierd thing is loud noises effect my ears more than what seems for ppl with normal hearing....ne ways ya i'm going with a collapsible, muzzle break, it came with a sling but i'm gonna make my own, definately some more mags 30rnds to be specific, the one i have is a 20 rnd, but like i said b4 i add the optics, the ff hg's, the buis, etc...i'm just gonna get to know my rifle.....i think that is the best first "mod/adjustment" ne one should do with a new toy....then find out what i like/ what i don't....and go from there.....but like i said i can't wait to start learning and posting!!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

i1.tinypic.com/n21zeu.jpg

Terminator package...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:09:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i1.tinypic.com/n21zeu.jpg

Terminator package...

On a more serious note, great rifle! No matter what the nay sayers say, you can't go wrong with colt...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#38]
First learn to clean it properly. Feed it good quality ammo(no Wolf) and only buy USGI mags. Then shoot it and get it zeroed properly. If you jump in and start changing it, you'll end up spending a brazillion $$$ you may regret later. It should run fine as is. If not, learn how to figure out why. Most problems are maintenance, ammo and mag related. Remember: simple is good.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:29:33 PM EDT
[#39]
i shoot the wal mart special WWB 55gr. $7.73 i believe is the price.....works for me and seems others have liked it.....i'm pretty savvy in cleaning and maitenance cuz i collect old rifles....however this is my first semi auto rifle and i'm new to the whole ar field so it's like being a pushrod motor guy all ur life and suddenly trying to work on a modular motor (5.0 vs. 4.6)...just new to the game and willing to learn
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#40]
The Winchester White box 55gr is good shit for practice.
Get yourself some XM193 for social occasions.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#41]
rgr that...thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Welcome to Coltville. It's a great place
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Congratulations.  First, learn to shoot the rifle.  Second, research carefully before you make any changes.  Third, remember:  buy cheap, buy twice.  

Having said all that and assuming that your state's laws allow you to do so. . . .  The muzzle break should go.  ADCO will remove it and put on a proper flash suppressor.  The bayonet is pretty much useless, but if you really want to have one, make sure that your new FSB is marked with the "F".  It's the higher base.  Unless you like that stock, change it out.  The Sully fixed stock will give you a better LOP, if you are short or average height.  If you go with a collapsible stock, go mil-spec.  NOT ALL ARE!  Get the Gen. II stock, if you are going for the current carbine look.  After you've gotten good with iron sights, you might be interested in an optic.  Aimpoint M2 or M3, mounted with a LaRue M68 CCO mount.  If you go with an Eotech, get the new one and use the LaRue mount.  You'll also need a BUIS.  Go with Troy.

Don't worry about replacing internals.  No mechanical device is perfect, but it is unlikely that anything will break on your rifle in the next year or two.  Search the archives for information on the service lives of the various parts, but I can tell you that most are 10,000 to 15,000 rounds or more before they go bad and I really doubt you'll shoot that much in a year or even two.

Anything else you might want to add?  New pistol grip?  TangoDown.  Rail system?  There are many that are good.  Light?  SureFire 900 series or Scout light.  Sling?  Yes, and of all the things listed, this one is the one item you are most likely to have difficulty with, no matter how much research you do.  Standard sling, three-point sling, two-point sling, or single-point sling.  You gotta try 'em to see what works best.  My two favorites, in ordeer, are:  single-point from the Wilderness; and the standard black USGI sling that comes with the rifle.  

That's a lot of stuff, but the mantra here should be:  Keep it simple.  Don't buy it or install it because it's cool or because some guy on the internet told you so.  And never, never, ever go by what some guy at a gun store told you is newest, coolest thing around. . . .
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:08:00 PM EDT
[#44]
wow that is A LOT of info but necessary and good info based on my research so far......yes i do plan to keep it simple....like my mustang.....she's a sleeper....what matters is the effectiveness on how things get done and not the looks that cause the oohs and ahhs.....well i'm about ready to get into law enforcement...so this rifle or one like it will be tactical and needs things that work best.....i appreciate you taking the time to write/type all this out cuz you sound a lot like me on you get what you pay for...do things in order....research a lot.....and find what works best for urself and not some other guy.......and above all else have SAFE FUN!!...but more importantly just fun lol j/k safety always first on my agenda!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
First learn to clean it properly. Feed it good quality ammo(no Wolf) and only buy USGI mags. Then shoot it and get it zeroed properly. If you jump in and start changing it, you'll end up spending a brazillion $$$ you may regret later. It should run fine as is. If not, learn how to figure out why. Most problems are maintenance, ammo and mag related. Remember: simple is good.

LMFAO, my two colts have at least 3K rounds of wolf through each of htem, USGI, Colt, British steel mags and whatever else through it.  No problems yet. Don't have to worry about it, this isn't a bushmaster so you don't need to concern yourself with petty litlte things
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Nice colt.

I'll say Adequate Colt.

Unless it has the Auto Sear Hole it can never be a "Nice Colt."
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nice colt.

I'll say Adequate Colt.

Unless it has the Auto Sear Hole it can never be a "Nice Colt."

psh, don't you have a mill or a drill press?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
wow that is A LOT of info but necessary and good info based on my research so far......

Poor quality magazines and poor quality ammo should be avoided.  USGI mags are cheap and plentiful.  If you absolutely MUST upgrade them, the magpul follower and SAW spring are GTG, but you really don't need that stuff.  

When you hare your gear together and you understand the manual of arms, train.  Pat Rogers, Jeff Gonzales, Rod Ryan, John Farnam, Larry Vickers, S Dave Harrington, Paul Howe, etc.  It's not about marksmanship, though you need to have the skills.  It's about fighting.  And winning.  And going home aftwards.

Oh, and smoking is a bad thing, brother. . . .
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top