Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/1/2005 4:36:58 PM EDT
OK I need some help, mr AR, RRA lower, bushy upper, does not fire every time. The primers come out with a dent but no bang. It will rock along maybe 6-7 rounds no trouble then click, I checked the both and carrier and firing pin, all clean no carbon build up. Now the firing pin doesn't seem to extend out much but it is out and it does work some time. This is not just reloads but store bought ammo also. Is it possible to have a "short" firing pin? Does antone know what it should measure?? Is there something else I should be looking at?? This was a major FUBR today as my buddy had a CHEAP sks and the da_n thing shot everytime but my US rifle..... well needless to say I need to get this fix and invite him over again.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:45:14 PM EDT
Did you try any different types of ammo? Even Factory ammo can fail to function if you bought part of a bad lot. Usually if it's a problem with the gun you will have a failure to feed or failure to eject issue instead of a failure to fire.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:03:48 PM EDT
Yea I tried several different sources of ammo. Even my go to ammo UltraMax 55gr BT which shoots great in my AR's
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:34:17 PM EDT
Make sure your hammer spring is not on upside down.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:58:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By terrydavis:
Make sure your hammer spring is not on upside down.

This could be the culprit (weak primer strikes due to weak or improperly assembled hammer spring). Also, check for any obstructions on the firing pin channel.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:38:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/2/2005 8:56:26 AM EDT by Tweak]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:42:40 AM EDT
Opps.... after reading terrydavis's post I thought " I did replace the springs recently" "But no I would have doubled checked everything... surely I would not of put the hammer spring in upside down.... Well I'll humor him, I checked and sure enoughhock.gif someone must have turned the spring around AFTER I put it back together... Damn dogs I should of never showed them how to get into my tool box. Thanks for all the help... lats just keep this hammer spring thing between us, OK?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:24:31 PM EDT
I just finished a midlength AR, my very first, and took it out in the torrential downpour on Saturday for its maiden voyage. First round: BOOM, second, third fourth: FTF. I shot about 60 rounds, with very mixed results to say the least. I wondered if it was the fault of my Cheaper Than Dirt ammo, but I had faith that AR-15 .com would come through for me.

A 5 minute search resulted in this hammer spring backwards thread, sure enough, I put it in backwards, 3 minutes to fix. I love this site. Thanks for those of you who responded to the original thread with your input.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 4:04:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:07:01 AM EDT
I had the same problem with my ArmaLite.

The culprit was: the previous owner had taken out the hammer spring and when he replaced it, he did not put the legs of the spring on the TOP of the trigger pin. This was allowing my trigger pin to walk out a little then I would get the "misfires" every 4 or 5 rounds.
Top Top