Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 11/5/2009 1:37:27 AM EST
+my friend has an ar-15 he said he would sell me for 400$ i have fired it and it jammed a couple of times but i think it was the magazine and it needed a good cleaning. the issue i have with the rifle is it has a 11.5" barrel and a 5.5" FS. i dont want to get a stamp for it. so should i weld the FS on buy a new barrel. i will also have to replace the hand guard because the person before him put a flair launcher on it. or just not purchase it at all. it has a oly pcr99 lower and non removable carry handle . http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy247/gideondt/IMG_7557.jpg
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:44:07 AM EST
I wouldn't do it, but I don't like non NFA uppers with those long useless flash hiders and I don't like Olympic products. You'd probably have a hard time selling that upper if you wanted to get a normal upper and keep the lower. It's your money though.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:05:23 AM EST
If that 5.5" flash hider isn't already permanently attached, you're in possession of an unregistered SBR.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:09:38 AM EST
i have not purchaced it yet if i do i will just take the upper and get it legal for me to own
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:58:06 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/5/2009 3:01:13 AM EST by Z09SS]
Let's try this another way; If that 5.5" flash hider isn't already permanently attached, your friend is in possession of an unregistered SBR.

You and or your friend should correct that ASAP. $400 plus the price of a barrel is still not too bad (if you have tools already) Sadly, you've taken pics and posted them on the internet...

On the other hand, if it is permanently attached, $400 isn't too bad if it really is the magazine causing the issue. If it's legal, I'd buy it.

EDIT:
If your fried has gone to the effort of making that a legal SBR, then you'll have to pay for the stamp to buy it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:05:56 AM EST
Pass.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:06:51 AM EST
It is clearly not worth the trouble, but have your friend contact me and I'll pay himn $400 to take it off his hands and dispose of it properly.

As noted above, if the flash hider is not permanently attached to the barrel and it is on an assembled rifle it is a violation of the NFA. But is the upper is just an upper then it is only gun parts and owning the SBR parts is not illegal.

If it were me, I'd attach a flash hider, but not that one - get a clone of the XM-177 moderator and a grenade ring and put that on it.

Most people hate Oly's but there is nothing wrong with them if they were properly built. The problem is that they were one of the first kit gun AR's and while many were assembled by gunsmiths who knew their stuff, many were not and some were home brewed by people with basically no knowledge.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:32:25 AM EST
I would buy it and sell me the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:34:10 AM EST
Pass. Spend that 400 towards quality lower and then save for a good upper.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:11:37 AM EST
$80 more and you can buy a Bravo Co upper of any length (plain jane) and save up for a complete upper or buy piece by piece and build a lower on a budget.

Of course you will need to buy the bcg and charging handle and handguards aswell. Still a better deal than the Oly imho.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:50:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/5/2009 5:51:47 AM EST by hotbiggun42]
Didnt you post this already?
have your buddy take care of the issue with the flash hider.Then buy it .Be sure it is a legal firearm before you buy it.$400 is a good price for that rifle.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:38:32 AM EST
Originally Posted By hotbiggun42:
Didnt you post this already?
have your buddy take care of the issue with the flash hider.Then buy it .Be sure it is a legal firearm before you buy it.$400 is a good price for that rifle.
Taking care of the issue may be better done by just taking the upper off the lower and selling the resulting "parts" to you for $400. Perm attaching that flash hider will just fuck up a good barrel that would work great on an XM177 clone.

If he is concerned about it, or if he (or you) are interested, I'd consider trading that upper for a 16" heavy barrel upper on a flat top upper.
Top Top