Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/8/2006 11:40:48 PM EDT
im interested in the RRA 20in A2 upper.  Most RRA are chambered in .223 Wylde chamber.
after reading the article from "ammo-oracle".  this quote comes to mind:

"A few AR manufacturers use an in-between chamber spec, such as the Wylde chamber."

Does this mean that this upper can tolerate some amount of the hot miltary load rounds chambered in 5.56?

to those of you who are going to tell me that the .223 and the 5.56 are the same round, 'ammo-oracle' says otherwise, so dont be telling me, "they are the same round".

thanks.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:46:28 PM EDT
[#1]
5.56mm and .223 should shoot just fine in the wylde.

I wouldn't worry about it, but who am I to give advice
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:58:03 PM EDT
[#2]
best choice is to call and ask.  Most vendors will give you the answer straight up.  If they dont, then find another.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:04:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
im interested in the RRA 20in A2 upper.  Most RRA are chambered in .223 Wylde chamber.

"A few AR manufacturers use an in-between chamber spec, such as the Wylde chamber."

Does this mean that this upper can tolerate some amount of the hot miltary load rounds chambered in 5.56?

to those of you who are going to tell me that the .223 and the 5.56 are the same round, 'ammo-oracle' says otherwise, so dont be telling me, "they are the same round".

thanks.

Yes, it will handle 5.56 just fine.  It is, however, slightly tighter than the Mil-Spec 5.56 chamber, giving an increase in accuracy over the sloppier tolerances of the 5.56 chamber.  The Wylde chamber isn't as tight as the .223 chamber, which sometimes causes "stuck" cases when using Mil-Surplus 5.56 ammo.  

It's kinda a "best of both worlds" chamber.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:11:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks.

Yes, it will handle 5.56 just fine.  It is, however, slightly tighter than the Mil-Spec 5.56 chamber, giving an increase in accuracy over the sloppier tolerances of the 5.56 chamber.  The Wylde chamber isn't as tight as the .223 chamber, which sometimes causes "stuck" cases when using Mil-Surplus 5.56 ammo.  

It's kinda a "best of both worlds" chamber.

Yup, that's theory. Never owned one.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:21:08 AM EDT
[#5]
You should be just fine with a Wylde chamber.  My next rifle build will be a 16" middy with a Wylde chamber from Denny's guns, for the potentially increased accuracy over a 5.56 chamber.

It will feed and fire 5.56 ammo without problems.

Good Luck,

M.L.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:21:56 AM EDT
[#6]
This comes up from time to time, which begs the question...........

Why did RRA decide on the Wylde chamber, when the universally accepted configuration was 5.56, or even .223?

Just curious.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:06:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I was going to say RRA only offer the Wylde in the target or NM stuff due to the increase in accuracy but I see they also offer it in their standard A2 and A4.

AP
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#8]
hmm.  those theories seem logical.  thanks.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top