Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/27/2005 6:12:05 AM EDT
OK, it seems like a crapshoot every time I try to install a 6-position buffer tube to get the tube straight (vertical).

Does anyone have a good trick to do this? It seems like whenever I install it when I give the castle nut the last good turn to lock it down the tueb rotates slightly which means the toe of the stock is cockeyed to one side.

Also, what is the best way to keep the assembly from coming loose? I used a dab of bllue loctite which seems to work, but was damn near impossible to remove the stock later- the tube always seems to rotate in the receiver before teh castle nut will come loose, and the lock plate key invariably cuts a gouge in the buffer tube threads.

Dawg
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:18:58 AM EDT
Get a milspec stock and tube. With my LMT 5-pos tube, there is a small notch that you line up with the buffer retaining plunger; makes righting the tube automatic. Also, go ahead and stake the plate in the smaller notches on the castle nut. It keeps it nice and sturdy, but if you want to remove it the parts of metal that have been staked will sheer off without too much effort.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:41:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cjk1:
Get a milspec stock and tube. With my LMT 5-pos tube, there is a small notch that you line up with the buffer retaining plunger; makes righting the tube automatic. Also, go ahead and stake the plate in the smaller notches on the castle nut. It keeps it nice and sturdy, but if you want to remove it the parts of metal that have been staked will sheer off without too much effort.

Milspec tub no an option- got 3 collapsible stocks all with commercial tubes and I can't afford to switch them all over.

However, I like the idea of marking a notch on the tube to align with the retainer plunger- shouldn't be too hard to find the proper point with a machinists angle and a level.

If anyone else has ideas, please let me know!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:24:40 PM EDT
Eyeball it. Pre-cock the tube so when you tighten it, it will line up correctly. Might take a try or two, but it's not too hard

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:27:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WIZZO_ARAKM14:
Eyeball it. Pre-cock the tube so when you tighten it, it will line up correctly. Might take a try or two, but it's not too hard

WIZZO

LOL, maybe I just am being too damn picky. Probably no one but me can tell if it is 1/2 degree off of perfect...
Top Top