Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/6/2012 11:34:46 AM EDT
Ok so I live in PA, i dont want to go through the whole atf stuff, could I go to a gunstore and purchase/recieve a pistol lower and just register it as a pistol?
My goal is to get an adams arms upper 7.5" elite then slap it on a lower as if i went and bought a pistol at cabelas per se... i dont really wanna build a lower
and then have it engraved and wait forever to go sbr, I think the pistol would look funny minus a buttstock and a cool afg or sumthin from magpul, but it seems
cheaper and easier to just deal with no foregrip and buttstock any thoughts or input plz help
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#1]
you can buy built pistol lowers from several sources. I like the look and featuers on the built PWS pistol lowers. I would be transfered as a pistol then. then put your shorty upper on it and be gtg.
If later you really want to SBR it start the process.. it will be the exact same gun except you will put a buttstock on...
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:28:18 PM EDT
[#2]
So if you live in PA you have to register your pistols?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:23:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

So if you live in PA you have to register your pistols?

No, in fact in Pennsylvania it is actually illegal for any government or police agency to keep a registry of firearms per 18 Pa.C.S. § 6111.4 (Registration of firearms).
If you legally possess bring your firearms into the Pennsylvania or
come into possession of the firearms legally, no further action is
required.
M2tactical - Just buy a stripped lower. It must, by ATF regulation, and will be transferred as "other - receiver". Take it home and build it into a pistol, no further paperwork required. You can also buy a complete lower, i.e. already built, and as long as it has NEVER been barreled as a rifle, meaning it never had a stock and a barreled upper on it, you can use it as a pistol. Most complete lowers will come with a stock but must still transfer as "other" in accordance with ATF regs. It is legal to remove the stock on this lower and build a pistol from it.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:38:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ok so I live in PA, i dont want to go through the whole atf stuff, could I go to a gunstore and purchase/recieve a pistol lower and just register it as a pistol?
My goal is to get an adams arms upper 7.5" elite then slap it on a lower as if i went and bought a pistol at cabelas per se... i dont really wanna build a lower
and then have it engraved and wait forever to go sbr, I think the pistol would look funny minus a buttstock and a cool afg or sumthin from magpul, but it seems
cheaper and easier to just deal with no foregrip and buttstock any thoughts or input plz help

You can do exactly what I did when I put my AR pistol together.

Find an FFL who sells factory stripped receivers.
He can sell it to you and list it on the Fed form 4473 as a PISTOL.

He will also do the PA form and PICS check as a PISTOL sale.
You can then buy any upper you want and slap it together.

I don't advise using Cabelas or any Chainstore dealer because the clerks are not very knowledgeable of the laws.

The FFL who did mine happened to also be an NFA dealer so he KNOWS the Law ( he listed the caliber as "multiple" so I could build anything. )
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:04:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Quoted:

You can do exactly what I did when I put my AR pistol together.
Find an FFL who sells factory stripped receivers.

He can sell it to you and list it on the Fed form 4473 as a PISTOL.
He will also do the PA form and PICS check as a PISTOL sale.

You can then buy any upper you want and slap it together.
I don't advise using Cabelas or any Chainstore dealer because the clerks are not very knowledgeable of the laws.
The FFL who did mine happened to also be an NFA dealer so he KNOWS the Law ( he listed the caliber as "multiple" so I could build anything. )

Apparently he doesn't know the law, a stripped receiver does not meet the definition of a pistol and MUST be checked on the 4473 box 18 as "other" and listed as a receiver in box 29.

This isn't a state thing, it is federal. If it is done differently the FFL is in violation of ATF regulations.
Read and learn. You may want to print a copy and give it to your FFL who "knows the law" so he actually can.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:43:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I used cabela's as an example because not every state has a keefer's or shydas, haha those are local to me, I just want it to be simple and easy.. so if I were to stroll into my local shop and say heres some loot I need a pws pistol lower.. And heres more loot I'm gonna need this adams arms pdw tactical elite in 7.5" form order it up... Then I suppose theyre transfer the lower to me as a pistol and then ill go home rack the 2 into 1 and order up som troy buis and an eotech after a paychk or 2 lol, thats all im hoping for really

Does it sound like itll work?

Idk how or what to buy to build a stripped lower... and I dont think I have the knowledge to do so, I just want it to be legal, if I didnt care I'd order sum magpul stock action and that cool forward grip they make!!

And another question that KAC handstop isn't considered a forward grip could I run that on a pistol legally??
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I used cabela's as an example because not every state has a keefer's or shydas, haha those are local to me, I just want it to be simple and easy.. so if I were to stroll into my local shop and say heres some loot I need a pws pistol lower.. And heres more loot I'm gonna need this adams arms pdw tactical elite in 7.5" form order it up... Then I suppose theyre transfer the lower to me as a pistol and then ill go home rack the 2 into 1 and order up som troy buis and an eotech after a paychk or 2 lol, thats all im hoping for really
Does it sound like itll work?
Idk how or what to buy to build a stripped lower... and I dont think I have the knowledge to do so, I just want it to be legal, if I didnt care I'd order sum magpul stock action and that cool forward grip they make!!
And another question that KAC handstop isn't considered a forward grip could I run that on a pistol legally??
No it won't work because there is no such thing as a pistol lower. ALL
LOWERS MUST BE TRANSFERRED AS A RECEIVER. IT IS IN VIOLATION OF ATF
REGULATIONS TO SELL THEM AS ANYTHING ELSE.
Why is this simple statement so hard to understand for everybody? Here is the definition of a pistol as codified:

Pistol.

A weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile
(bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having (a) a
chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the
bore(s); and (b) a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand and at
an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

Now please note that a lower, frame or receiver can not fire a
projectile form one or more barrels because they do not have barrels.
They are therefore not pistols or pistol lowers, they are simply
firearms in accordance with, and by definition of the gun control act of
If you want a pistol but don't want to or can't assemble a stripped lower then you have 3 choices
1. Buy a complete lower, this will be already built with the fire
control group, buffer assembly and most time, a stock. This MUST
transfer on the form 4473 as a receiver in accordance with ATF
regulations. (see above letter). Buy an assembled upper of your choice,
any barrel length you wish. then assemble the two together and you have a
pistol.
2. Buy an already built pistol from a FFL.
3. Buy and already built pistol from an individual.
Option 1 will require a background check and must transfer as a receiver (not pistol) on form 4473.
Option 2 will require a background check and must transfer as a pistol on form 4473.
Option 3 may or may not require background check and transfer as a pistol on form 4473 if your state requires it.
That is the only options to legally obtain a AR pistol without building it yourself, or having it built for you.
And yes you can use a hand stop or a AFG on your pistol.
Here is your best plan of action based on you last post:
Order this CLICK and have it delivered to your FFL. When it arrive he will transfer it to you as a receiver on form 4473.  

Order this CLICK and have it shipped to you house.
When you have both assemble them together.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Excellent kind sir!! Thats awesome I'm goin for the afg, thank you much
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top