Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 1:59:53 PM EDT
bought a lower at the 1500 gun show in indy. went ahead and got a rra after reading from the shadows for a few months. just wonder if i should get the rest from rra or get a kit from jt. asked the guy at the model 1 table and he said everybody gets the parts from the same place. thank you ahead of time for your valuable information.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:23:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally I would stick with RRA. Everyone has the opinions and sure you can spend the $$$ for an High end upper with all the bells and whistles if that is what you want. It all depends on what YOU want and what kind of options you would like on your AR. That is the beauty of Ar's you have endless options. Your question is kind of like asking asking your friends what kind of woman you should marry. In the end it's up to you...

My 2 bits...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Might as well go with RRA, that way the finish between the upper and lower should be a perfect match.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:22:56 PM EDT
[#3]
kits are offered from a lot of people and i would in this order

bushmaster
jtdistributing
rra
del-ton
-
-
-
-
model 1
m & a

if i were selling hyundai's i would tell you that all cars come from the same metal too.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:28:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I say get a complete upper from ADCO. They have RRA uppers and they ship really fast!!

Both my uppers came from ADCO and I've been nothing but happy with them.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are looking for a good deal on a RRA upper try www.eaglefirearms.net they are A+ and have good prices.  Also check out their STAG uppers. STAG and RRA use the same supplier for their receivers but Stag is a usually a bit less $$ and every bit the same quality.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I would tell you to buy parts from different places and pick the parts and brands, that’s that I did with my first build an M4gery, it turned out great. Currently im planning on doing an M16A4gery and planning on using a barrel from CMMG because I like the extended feed ramps they offer on all their barrels. Then pick the upper you want... or just buy a prebuilt upper.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:13:22 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks for the relies everyone. i never thought about staying with rra so the finish would match between the upper and the lower. is there really that much difference in finishes? thanks
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Go with RRA you won't be sorry!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:49:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I care a LOT more about the barrel quality and design, than the finish matching.  Hell, I have factory rifles that my finish doesnt "match" on.  

It's a tool, not a safe queen.

I would go with the barrel or kit manufacturer, that gives you what you want, with a good solid reputation, for the lowest cost.

I am fond of 4150 chrome lined barrels, so I like Colt and Bushmaster barrels.  Of course, I typically build my own... mating to a CMT upper, CMT B/C/CH, etc.

That being said - RRA does make a good barrel (4140)... so I doubt you would be disappointed at all.  Their quality is very good.  

Model 1 is low cost.... but a little more of a lower tier provider.  A lot of bad stuff gets out of their place, but they are pretty good about taking care of it.  Thousands of users here have their stuff and are very happy with it.

Just remember this, if you shoot at ALL, in the first month, you will shoot more money in AMMO than the difference you saved from brand x to brand y.  So get the best equipment you can, from reputable suppliers, in the exact configuration you want.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top