Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/28/2009 9:20:09 PM EDT
i am new to ar's but ive been doing alot of research and decided to buy a rra mid length so i finaly found one for sale buy an individual at the local gun show but it didnt have the nm trigger but i purchased it anyway

now i noticed the firing pin hits the primer prematurly just enough to leave a dent in it. what can i do to fix this

seems like my "new" rra ar hass been part scavanged what do you guys think

thanks

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:21:50 PM EDT
[#1]
that is normal
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:29:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
that is normal

What he said
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:31:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
that is normal

What he said

Correct.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Most semi-autos will do that. Noting to be worried about.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:50:27 PM EDT
[#5]
i was thinking that since it doesn't have anything holding it back but can it ever go to far . is it posible
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:45:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
i was thinking that since it doesn't have anything holding it back but can it ever go to far . is it posible

Sure it's possible.  Slam fire happens occasionally so make sure your gun is pointed in a safe direction when charging.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:47:46 PM EDT
[#7]
my idea on the matter is that even if you let the bolt slam forward onto an already chambered round, the FP will not have enough momentum to strike the primer hard enough to set off the round, unless they are handrolled with soft primers. That being said, i wouldn't let the bolt fly loose on a loaded chamber.itf the bolt is going forward on its own, the chamber is empty, and either will stay empty, or the bolt is picking up a round out of the magazine.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:26:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:57:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice, reminds me of when I was a wee little tot and my dad had all these little comic books put out by the military explaining certain procedures and protocol.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:12:17 AM EDT
[#10]
It's simply the nature of the beast of the Stoner free floating firing pin design.

All is well :)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:25:40 AM EDT
[#11]
You thought just because your firing pin dented your primers that your as advertised new RRA was "part scavanged"? That doesn't make any sense to me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:10:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You thought just because your firing pin dented your primers that your as advertised new RRA was "part scavanged"? That doesn't make any sense to me.

no because of the problem and my inexperiance with the problem and the fact that every new rra rifle ive looked at on rra's web sight has the nm triger so it looked fiunny too me guess not.

but thanks for your thoughts. glad too here its normal . i always chamber any gun in a safe direction so its not that big of a deal .
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:28:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Dude, you have a lemon rifle that is defective and will blow up in you face.
You need to get rid of it ASAP, so I'll send you funds and mail me the rifle.

Oh well it was worth a try... Congrats on your purchase, I have three rock rivers you have a great rifle,
now stop whining soldier  get out there and shoot that thing. oh and buy lots of ammo..

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:51:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Most, if not all of the RRA rifles coming off the assembly line have the 2 stage trigger installed. However, you can buy complete lowers with a standard trigger group. It's not unlikely that you did purchase a pieced together rifle if you bought it at a gun show. Did you get any type of warranty card or anything with it? (I don't know what normally come with one, I built both of mine)
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:20:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No. He's new to ARs. Take it easy on the new guy.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:46:15 AM EDT
[#16]
This is also why the rounds sould have harder primers. If you reload it's recommended that you use maganum primers.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:02:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Congrats on your new RRA, you'll find more expensive but none more dependable, solid or accurate
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Dude, you have a lemon rifle that is defective and will blow up in you face.
You need to get rid of it ASAP, so I'll send you funds and mail me the rifle.

Oh well it was worth a try... Congrats on your purchase, I have three rock rivers you have a great rifle,
now stop whining soldier  get out there and shoot that thing. oh and buy lots of ammo..

nice try though and i purchased some bulk xm193 i lowered the amount a little more today

thanks for all your post
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:01:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Normal.  This is the reason reloaders need to be careful about primer selection.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Normal. Don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 2:44:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
<snip>but thanks for your thoughts. glad too here its normal . i always chamber any gun in a safe direction so its not that big of a deal .

Good to hear you are practicing firearms safety.  Congrats on the new RRA (I have an Entry Tactical) and have fun.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top