Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/3/2003 10:20:00 AM EDT
Ok, quick question that is defying my logic.  Why can I get a complete lower from somewhere like Iblis for only $200, but a flip-up front sight I want costs the same, without installation?.....   Does this make any sense to you guys.  It's like these damn mounts that costs half as much as the scope.  I dunno just seems a little ridiculous to me when it costs little to nothing to manufacture the parts.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 10:33:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I agree with you 82_Airborne. The prices on accessories for these rifles are WAY OVERPRICED!! I guess it's because all us idiots are paying what they ask.

The only thing I spent too much $$ on was and ARMS swan sleeve and Aimpoint mount. I will agree they are nicely milled units, but when manufactured in quantity can't carry a manufacturing cost to justify the retail prices.
Another downside for the consumer is that there isn't enough competition for some of this stuff. The old supply and demand equation works against us in this case. Welcome to capitalism!!

Both my rifles are pretty plain because I refuse to pay the prices for most of these 'cool' additions. I myself would rather buy another rifle than a flashlight and something to mount it on. Just me.

Shabo
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#2]
You can buy a rifle for the cost of a ras/sir and a good flashlight and fore grip that not even including and aimpoint or eotech
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 1:21:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Simple Concepts:

1) Economy of Scale (how many lowers & parts are produced compared to the widget in question? - not to mention production methods)

2) Supply & Demand  (what is the available supply of said widge vs the demand for that item)  

3) Related to #2 is the level of competition - less competition means you can ask for more.

Then you also have to look at recouping costs for R&D and tooling.  

Of course its always easier to bitch about it rather than learn about economics.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Simple Concepts:

Of course its always easier to bitch about it rather than learn about economics.
View Quote

[LOL]
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey forest, it's great that you make a feeble attempt to teach everyone this common knowledge that we're already aware of.  Now I'm sure you're on the high end of the IQ scale but I don't believe the R&D of these products is nearly as extensive as you make it out to be, although the manufacturers of said products may lead us to similiar comclusions.  That being said one would think it was about time for another company to step in and increase competition for our coveted AR parts and accessories.  I would be willing to try some new products from a company ready to give A.R.M.S, GG&G, and PRI a run for there money so to speak.  Just my .02 though, feel free to disagree.  That's the beauty of our country.
                      [argue]
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I agree with you 82_Airborne. The prices on accessories for these rifles are WAY OVERPRICED!! I guess it's because all us idiots are paying what they ask.

The only thing I spent too much $$ on was and ARMS swan sleeve and Aimpoint mount. I will agree they are nicely milled units, but when manufactured in quantity can't carry a manufacturing cost to justify the retail prices.
Another downside for the consumer is that there isn't enough competition for some of this stuff. The old supply and demand equation works against us in this case. Welcome to capitalism!!

Both my rifles are pretty plain because I refuse to pay the prices for most of these 'cool' additions. I myself would rather buy another rifle than a flashlight and something to mount it on. Just me.

Shabo
View Quote

Just you--and me too!  Fortunately I bought my Leupold Scope when they were still running an honest  business, and not a "rape your wallet" shop, and I really don't give a damn what Sprecial Forces are using in Iraq, or Afghanistan, so I'm not tempted by the crap that's out there. If you want to spend bucks on a bicycle handle vericle foregrip because you think it's cool; fine by me.  Just don't expect me to get in that line[:D]
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#7]
They charge as much for it as they can. If they could charge 10 cents more for it they would. You would too. They are in the business of making money, not providing you with cool toys. If you need it, you'll pay. If you want it bad enough, you'll pay. If you don't, you don't. If you could build something for 10 cents, right now, and sell if for a million dollars, right now, wouldn't you?
I would.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 2:43:22 PM EDT
[#8]
One of these days I’ll come up with an ingenious gadget for the AR15/M16…and I PROMISE I wont over charge for it!
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Considering that a lot of the stuff I use is bought in huge quantities by the military, the cost of R&D has been paid for many times over.

I do find the price of AR stuff to be extremly high. That being said, I pay it and am happy with the product in the end.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 7:43:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I would assume that there would be many more purchases towards the products if they were indeed priced more resonably,  enough to make more of a profit possibly?...
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 8:35:36 PM EDT
[#12]
[b]
Quoted:
I myself would rather buy another rifle than a flashlight and something to mount it on. Just me.

Shabo
View Quote
[/b]

Priceless!! Couldn't have said it better myself. [LOLabove]
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Many of the items you guys are talking about are high end items, that only a limited number of users actually benefit from having.  Most people would do just as well with a more economical accessory, or just a box stock gun.

A lot more lower receivers get sold than flip up front sights.  Thus the manufacturer can take a lower profit margin on the receiver than on the flip front sight.  The more you make of something, the cheaper it is to make, as your over head and all expenses are spread over the number of parts you produce.

The only thing I can say guys is if you think you can make it cheaper, better, and faster is to have a go at it. I think you will find, as many have, that you will never get rich off someone else's hobby...
View Quote

I think it might be a little of the Razors and Razor Blade theory.  That lower is the Razor. Without it you don't buy the cool goodies to go with it (the blades).  Sell the Razor cheap.  Pay through the nose for the blades.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 5:32:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 5:39:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 6:24:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes, I will soon double what I spent on my rifle in accessories! SH**!
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 6:59:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Sinistral Rifleman makes some excellent points...

One more to consider is that certain manufacturers (like KAC, ARMS, etc) that sell to the military are bound by government cost schedules not to sell their wares to the public for less than what Uncle Sugar pays for them.

Hope this helps,
havoc
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#18]
[b]
Quoted:

[...] your way you'll then have two rifles and not be able to use either in low light.

I guess it depends on whether you are interested in collecting guns, or having a gun that you can use to defend yourself.
View Quote
[/b]

That's a pretty broad generalization, don't you think?

Edited to say that I don't think weapon mounted flashlights aren't worth having or aren't useful. I'm just not part of the $400-500 flashlight club. So far, my 6P has served me better than I could have expected.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 4:00:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I think havoc has nailed this one. If a company sells something to the government for $400 what would it look like if they sold it to the public for $75?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top