Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/17/2015 11:48:48 PM EDT
I'm a new member to this site and am building my first AR, so thank you for any help.  I purchased a Spikes Tactical FN CHF 16' barrel which came with a micro gas block that has one set screw on the bottom and holes on the side for a pin.  The barrel is pre-drilled for the gas block pin and came with a solid, non-tapered pin.

My question:  How do I pin the gas block to the barrel without the gas block twisting out of alignment before the pin is set?  The pin seems really tight, so when I apply force, the block slowly twists out of place.  I've tightened the set screw, but it still seems to twist a bit.  The barrel is not dimpled for the set screw, which is described as an "anti-vibration" screw in the product description.  Is there a better way to support the block, or should the pin be so tight?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:57:37 PM EDT
[#1]
BRD Engineering makes the jigs you need.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:52:57 AM EDT
[#2]
put a 1/8 drill bit through the hole in the block and barrel to hold it while you tighten the set screw (the bit will act to align the combo). After it's tightened on there, remove the drill bit and place the barrel/gas block in a vise, horizontally (vise the BLOCK, not the barrel). Drive the pin in with a steel punch. Done.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you.  I put a roll pin punch through and tried to use the pin to drive the punch out but it still rotated.  I'll try your idea to clamp it next, sounds like a good plan.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:32:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the site recommendation, they look like they have some great tools.  I'd like to find a way without having to spend more money, but this is an option if I get frustrated enough.  Thanks for the reply.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top