Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/2/2003 10:30:30 PM EDT
i'm getting a FIRSH system (please don't flame me die hard KAC people) and i have a couple knights panels to put on it.

i read earlier somewhere in ar15.com that you had to modify the panels a little bit.

does anybody know how to do this?  can you post some pics?

thanks for any help or info.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:42:32 AM EDT
[#1]
My panels fit fine. There was no modifications.  It was tight and took a few minutes to get it locked in, but all worked perfect solid to the rails.  

I just installed the FIRSH. Have you installed it yet?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#2]
i don't have it in my hands, yet.  the upper is being sent out and having a barrel/Firsh/and whatnot put on it to make it a complete upper.

I hope there is no modification, but i thought i read here awhile ago that it was. I think it was in the bit thread about KAC RAS/SIR/FIRSH.  I'm looking there now.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't see how the panels can snap in without modification to either the FIRSH or the panel.  I just discovered today that the KAC RAS rails (at least the RAS II) have an extra bit of material machined from the end notches, and that's how the panels lock in.  As for modifying the panels, I guess you could bend the metal part so that it clears the rail going on, but then you'd have a difficult time removing it.

I think I'll grind the notches on my FIRSH so that the panels snap in the way they're supposed to.  The notches won't be visible anyway.

If I'm not getting something here, someone please let me know.

[editted cuz i cant spel]
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 2:42:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm just curious, are the Knight's panels much better than the rail covers offered by Oly?  I currently have the Oly covers, and other than the fact that I have to put so darn many on there, I have been satisfied with them.  Although, then again, I'm just a keyboard commando.  LOL

Ghost
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think I'll ever get my barrel hot enough to make a functional difference between the KAC panels and Oly's rubber ones.  To me, the lines just look cleaner with the KAC panels.  And they go for about $10-$12 each on the EE, about the same cost as 3 of Oly's covers.

For us chairborne rangers, I think it's just a matter of personal preference.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 2:09:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Lets see some pics if anyone has any.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 9:25:32 AM EDT
[#7]
LOL, M4-guy, I like the "chairborne rangers" bit.  Very creative.  I think I will start to label myself as that, since it sounds so much more modern that armchair commando.  

Oh, yeah, if anyone has pics of the KAC panels on a FIRSH, I want to see them too.

Ghost
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Ghost, I wish I could take credit for the term, but it's actually the handle of another board  member.

Here's my unfinished project.  Midlength FIRSH with 11-rib KAC panels.
[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=59079&c=500&z=1"][img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/059079.JPG[/img][/url]

Here's a shot of a carbine FIRSH with green KAC panels, courtesy of Triple Break
Products:
[url]http://www.triplebreakproducts.com/Olympic/firsh.htm[/url]

Link Posted: 9/21/2003 10:26:32 PM EDT
[#9]
the KAC panels are nice, but i had to dremel out a little bit of the FIRSH to ge tit to fit.  I wanted the KAC panels cause they were one piece and all.  i think they look fine and they fit on tight.  i'll try and get a pic up soon.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#10]
have you looked at the low-profile oly ones?  I like them better since I only wanted to cover the un used rail space rather than holding on to the bare rail interface.

[url]http://www.olyarms.com/panels.html[/url]

Link Posted: 9/22/2003 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#11]
the low pro oly covers are very nice.  a buddy at work uses them to cover his top rail.  they protect the top rail, don't take up space, and they give the upper an awesome look.  some might consider top rails as lessening the heat dissipation (sp?...i'm tired) but i've never shot that much to make a difference.  if i had unsed/uncovered rail real estate, i would use the lo-pro covers on the sides, but the KAC panels i have cover the unused rails nicely.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top