User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2003 8:32:33 AM EDT
what is the procedure and does it help to not scratch the scope
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:35:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Have someone turn a piece of steel to size, one inch or 30mm. Get some lapping compound and lap the bottom halves of the rings only. The remaining finish will show you the low spots.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:57:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Another place to get a kit is [url]www.sinclairintl.com[/url] . They specialize in long range shooting supplies. I have their 30mm lapping kit.

They are very nice and have the info on long range target shooting...

The kit's extemely easy to use, if you can read, you can lap a set of rings.

It took me only 20 minutes to lap a set of 30mm rings. My Dad is a machinist and he also turned me a 1 inch bar for lapping.

Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:48:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Gale McMillan

No problem at all. If you are mounting a 1 inch scope use a 1 inch round bar of Aluminum 18 inches long. Mount the lower half of the rings and tighten them as they are to remain on the gun . Put some 240 grit lapping compound available in any automotive store in the saddles and put the 1 inch rod in the saddles like it was a scope. With the palm of your hand push the bar back and forth while rotating it at the same time keeping a down pressure on it at the same time. After a few strokes remove the bar and wipe clean so you can see where it is cutting. Its easy to see because the bluing will be gone where it contacts the bar. Put more compound on and continue till the saddle is free of finish and you can tell it is straight. Wipe the compound out of the saddles but don't worry if it feels rough as that will keep the scope from slipping in the rings. As I said in my earlier post when you tighten a scope down in a mal aligned mount the rear ring is over the pivot point of the erector cell and any binding will cause a change of point of impact and erratic adjustment.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:08:29 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the tips also what due these kits run?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top