Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2012 6:55:49 PM EDT
I just ordered a surefire m300a and am planning to use the tape switch.  This is my first gun light so Im not sure I'll keep it like this.  But, to stick to the plan...I'm wondering how I can attach the pressure switch to my vfg?  The vfg is a standard KAC one from a KAC RAS kit if that helps.  
Velcro?
Zip ties?
Rubber bands?
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 1:23:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Cut a bicycle inner tube and strap it on that way. Two or three pieces of tube should do it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 1:48:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I attach them to gunbroker for 35 bucks to recoup some of my expenses for the light. Expect a high level of failure rates and light discharges because of the pad.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 2:52:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Cut a bicycle inner tube and strap it on that way. Two or three pieces of tube should do it.

Zip ties work well too
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Pics?
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Mantarails
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 3:48:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics?

I guess I used four pieces. It's been a while since I put this on there. They hold up well and you get a ton of them from one tube.

Link Posted: 4/6/2012 4:38:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Tango Down light switch panel with LaRue Index Clips.  Remove all velcro crap and replace with double sided 3M tape to permanently attach light switch to Tango Down panel.  

Link Posted: 4/6/2012 6:18:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Tango Down light switch panel with LaRue Index Clips.  Remove all velcro crap and replace with double sided 3M tape to permanently attach light switch to Tango Down panel.  

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g326/Covertness/LaRuepressureswitch.jpg

That looks nice and clean.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 12:18:42 PM EDT
[#9]
yea some good ideas here....so the inner tube pieces dont put too much pressure on the switch?  I was under the impression I couldnt wrap anything around the main part of the switch.  I should be receiving the light tomorrow.  So I'll understand more then.  SO are the inner tube pieces tight into a knot on the other side in the pic?  I'm thinking I might sharpie up some elastic bands and wrap it around if the switch isn't that sensitive to pressure.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
yea some good ideas here....so the inner tube pieces dont put too much pressure on the switch?  I was under the impression I couldnt wrap anything around the main part of the switch.  I should be receiving the light tomorrow.  So I'll understand more then.  SO are the inner tube pieces tight into a knot on the other side in the pic?  I'm thinking I might sharpie up some elastic bands and wrap it around if the switch isn't that sensitive to pressure.

You cut across the inner tube. There is nothing to tie together because the inner tube is a complete cylinder. It creates a strong elastic band.

The light doesn't come on with the pressure of the band. It takes a bit more than that to make it light up. I just bought a bicycle tube from Walmart and cut it into small pieces. I then washed and dried the pieces before putting it on the rifle. (There is some powder inside the inner tube)
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 2:20:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You cut across the inner tube. There is nothing to tie together because the inner tube is a complete cylinder. It creates a strong elastic band.

The light doesn't come on with the pressure of the band. It takes a bit more than that to make it light up. I just bought a bicycle tube from Walmart and cut it into small pieces. I then washed and dried the pieces before putting it on the rifle. (There is some powder inside the inner tube)

Yea I understand now how to cut the inner tube now (like cutting up squid for calamari).  Are the bands nice and tight though, around the vfg?
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 4:58:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea I understand now how to cut the inner tube now (like cutting up squid for calamari).  Are the bands nice and tight though, around the vfg?

They are snug on my son's. (that's his rifle in the pic) It is kind of nice feeling for grip too. The nice thing about this is, it's not permanent. You can just slide it back off if you don't like it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2012 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I used some 3M double-sided automotive trim tape.  Works well, holds tight, easy to remove or replace if needed, and lower bulk and firmer mount than velcro.

Particularly, I mounted a standard SF tape switch to a MOE handguard.

Link Posted: 4/9/2012 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I always used velcro plus a bicycle tube also.  Be careful though, I opened up a bicycle tube and some white dust crap blew out of it when I cut it and I accidentally inhaled some.  Had a weird cough for a few days after doing so, but that may or may not have been the cause as I have absolutely no idea what the dust was.  Works like a charm though, tough to get on in the first place but it holds very well.
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 9:46:04 AM EDT
[#15]
+1 for bike inner tube.

I put some around the vfg, then laid the pad down, then put more over it.  The rubber to rubber contact holds it VERY still.
I also used multiple layers and smaller pieces as I got toward the last one to create a curved contour

Now using Larue Index Clips instead of zip ties.
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 10:04:58 AM EDT
[#16]
^ I like that a lot!  I still have to grab an inner tube...right now its just being held in place by elastic bands(just so its not dangling....I also need to figure out how I will run the cable.....its shorter than I thought it would be....
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top