Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 9/6/2002 10:45:31 PM EDT
i want a ar-15 type rifle, nothing fancy, all post ban specs and 10 round mag is fine, just want one. i live in SoCal, and cant buy one or the receivers to build one. now can i make one from one of those 80% forgings. what are the legalities in SoCal for these?

for your reference, i had three of those in the past, two of which i built myself from scratch. had to sell two after i got married and the last one got stolen! i miss shooting those so much. plese someone help me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 10:48:15 PM EDT
Your out of luck. Assault rifles are a NO-NO is southern Cali. I know I used to live their. The only way your going to be able to have one is to buy the reciever that has no magazine well. They usually have them for sale at the gun shows. IF you want my oppinion, buy that lower reciever and then pay for a Shrike, I don't think Cali has band the Shrike yet.. Don't build your own reciever, it is illegal.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 10:54:18 PM EDT
thanks for the info. so sad, anyway
what is a Shrike?
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 11:08:07 PM EDT


Ten round fixed magazine, so you can add all the other naughty bits (telescope stock, bayonet lug, flash hider) and still be CA legal!

I pay for mine on Monday!
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 11:16:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2002 11:17:53 PM EDT by Raptor22]
A Shrike is a belt-fed upper that costs $2500+. QBit's suggestion is your best bet. It beats the only other legal option which is a single shot AR15.
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 9:20:22 AM EDT
TO be on the safe side, if you buy a shrike upperwww.aredefense.com, it is wise to link only ten rounds pre belt for storage and transportation. once you get out to the desert for some fun blasting, right before you shot, all you have to do is insert a round between each ten round link and belt up as many rounds as possible.
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 9:27:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2002 9:33:13 AM EDT by DOCPIG]
If you permanently attach a 10 round mag to a post ban lower receiver than you can have a legal CA. AR-15.
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 9:31:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2002 9:33:13 AM EDT by Hk45USP]
I live here in socal too....Im a cop and unfortunatly we too are NOT exempt from purchasing AR-15's (with the exception of our departments giving us letters, yet the gun must be registered to the department....blah blah blah.)

Luckly, I purchased two AR's, just before the ban.

But, you ask "how does that help me?" Well, I believe I may have a compromise for you.

Screw the AR-15's, because you can't buy/own them here anymore. Instead, go out and buy a new Springfield M1-A in .308!!!!!

You can go into Nevada (Las Vegas) or Arizona and find 20 round magazines for the gun. I don't understand why CA would ban AR's and AK variants, yet allow M1-A's. (Great for us Californians).

In my opinion, one could do more damage with a M1-A and a couple of 20 round magazines, vs. the AR's with the little .223 bullets.

But you better hurry. Once the CA anti gunners realize that they forgot to ban the M1-A's, they'll get those next!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 12:41:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DOCPIG:
If you permanently attach a 10 round mag to a post ban lower receiver than you can have a legal CA. AR-15.

No, you can't just take any post ban lower and "fix" a mag in Cali. It can't be on the named ban list, and has to be approved for sale in CA. Only one so far that meets that criteria is the FAB10. There's also the DPMS single-shot lower (with no magwell at all), which can be used to build an AR type rifle in Cali.
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 1:41:21 PM EDT
Just buy an M1A, Mini-14, or M1 Carbine. It is close as you are gonna get until you move out of state.
Top Top