Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/7/2005 1:11:23 AM EDT
In a few weeks this Steyr AUG model will be available here in Austria for civilians:

.Are there any creative thinkers here who have solved the AUG-BUIS
problem? Without iron sights, I would hate to use a battery dependent sight.
Or is there a way to mount iron sights??
Would you simply choose a ACOG or a S&B Short Dot (since-
contrary to red dots- both have constant on reticles)?
Thanks!

Cato

PS: I know that is not Ar15 related- or only insofar as maybe Ar15 BUIS could
be used.
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 1:34:28 AM EDT
[#1]
ta01nsn

ta01 w/jpoint

Link Posted: 5/7/2005 5:16:26 AM EDT
[#2]
A USR without a thumbhole.

I had a TA01NSN on mine.  Sold the TA01NSN

But I still have a preban A2 AUG for sale if anyone is interested.

Link Posted: 5/7/2005 5:36:22 AM EDT
[#3]
The TA01NSN is interesting due to the BUIS, but too bad it doesn't
have the BAC feature. At the moment I am looking at the S&B Short
Dot 1.1-4. If the battery powered red dot fails, it is still a great scope.
But its fairly heavy..
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 5:49:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Here, here, or there?
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 6:27:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 6:51:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Compact ACOG....
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Since you're going to use a scope, and the sights will be just for back-up, I don't see why you couldn't just purchase a set of Troy flip up front and rear sights then just put them at each end of the picatinny rail.  I know the sight radius would be pistol short, but again, they're just for backup, right?

I wonder if maybe a clamp-on front sight like PRI would fit on the barrel somewhere down the line, and then play with some rear sight options (like a picatinny backup peep sight like XS Systems) to see if the height could line up...

But I personally would go with the easier option first due to looks and effort.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I would have squat for sight radius, but you could go with a Troy setup, front and rear, on the rail.  They're just there for backup, after all.

ETA:  I guess I should have read Onslaught's post, first.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:56:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
In a few weeks this Steyr AUG model will be available here in Austria for civilians:
www.wertgarner.at/aktuell/bilder/STEYR_AUG_Z_8oo.jpg

.Are there any creative thinkers here who have solved the AUG-BUIS
problem? Without iron sights, I would hate to use a battery dependent sight.
Or is there a way to mount iron sights??
Would you simply choose a ACOG or a S&B Short Dot (since-
contrary to red dots- both have constant on reticles)?
Thanks!

Cato

PS: I know that is not Ar15 related- or only insofar as maybe Ar15 BUIS could
be used.

I just want to say.  I just wish I had his problem and I could buy one of these in the USA
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:56:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
A USR without a thumbhole.

I had a TA01NSN on mine.  Sold the TA01NSN

img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/FALbert/AUGA2/A2AUGwithACOGNSNleftsideviewgammacorrected.jpg

But I still have a preban A2 AUG for sale if anyone is interested.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/FALbert/AUGA2/A2AUGleftside.jpg

OK... I'll bite. How much & in what condition?

Feel free to IM me.

NYP
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 11:51:26 AM EDT
[#12]
That's a nice new AUG model, I'm hoping that's the same model they're going to build here soon.

If we could get that model here I would go for the ACOG TA01NSN with J-point or in Europe maybe an European model Aimpoint with fixed BUIS on top of the scope. I have seen some photos around here of the European Aimpoint being used by the Swedish army.

I have an AUG-P 16-inch barrel with the new NATO black stock that accepts only M-16 NATO & AR-15 type magazines. Waiting for the next group buy A2 factory conversion.

ETA: Found the Aimpoint link, here it is:

New Aimpoint - Swedish Army Model thread link

Here's one of the photo shown in the noted link.

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 1:35:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Larue makes an extended whatchamacallit that might help the situation.  

Too bad you couldn't just lengthen that rail about 8" or so.  It would look sorta SL8-ish with that setup- the growing gap between the barrel and rail, but that would look a little silly.

Too bad they made that tail into a half-ass handle.  it looks like it's part of the polymer stock assembly and it is what the sling swivel connects to- at the front face of it.   The charging handle on that thing doesn't move with the bolt/carrier, does it?

what's on the other side of the hinge of the VFG??

FALbert's looks to be part of his receiver.

the ad shows a "carry handle" with scope built in like the old models- maybe that's a sign that it isn't permanent and something else can be arranged somehow?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:01:16 AM EDT
[#14]
The beauty of the A2 is the rail can be removed and the original scope can be reattached.  Pretty slick and seamless.  That was part of the deal for the conversion.  Our original optic would be removed and reused in the new detachable version.

To be honest, the original optic has limitations.  I prefer to be able to use whatever I like (like our ARs).  What the AUG needs is more real estate for rails.  I think the AUG A3 addresses this.  The compact TA-47-2 ACOG was the best though I wish I had the red version.  I had to use a TA51 mount with the knobs on the right side as the charging handle was so close on the left.  Cheek weld was not an issue for this setup.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:07:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The charging handle on that thing doesn't move with the bolt/carrier, does it?

what's on the other side of the hinge of the VFG??

I never noticed any movement while firing, but someone posted a full auto video where it can be seen moving intermittently.

Are you referring to the black button next to the VFG?  That is the barrel release knob for quick change.

EDIT:

I think I now know what you are referring to.  That silver thingy on the other side of the weapon?  That is the gas regulator assembly and the area where the ga piston sits in.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:21:51 PM EDT
[#16]
so that laser-looking thing is for removing the barrel, huh?  are they going for a quick change on a hot barrel like with an M60 or M249?  jeeeezzz...

I was asking about the cocking handle reciprocating with the bolt- but i'm sure it doesn't.  what you say tells me it doesn't move just like HK's don't move.  it's the MACs and UZIs that move...

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#17]
The AUG handles like a refrigerator compared to the AR. The trigger sucks. Magazine changes are S L O W. If you drop the mag (or tap the bottom of the mag too hard while seating it) the rounds pop out. If that happens while inserting the mag, you now have a type 2 0r 3 malfunction. Oh, did I mention that the trigger sucks, too? Also, unless you have a left-hand bolt (and some extra time to swap parts in the middle of a firefight), you're gonna have to shoot that (bull)puppy right-handed - and don't even think about transitioning to left shoulder/hand for engagement around a L/H barricade/corner. You'll have to lean out and give Tango more to shoot at.

The mfgr. made a big deal about being able to drive a deuce and a half over the gun repeatedly with no ill effects. The Aussie troops, initially disappointed, were not deterred. They next drove Centurion tanks over them so that they would be crushed and could then get ARs...
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#18]
That's easy. Get the ADI scope that the Australians are putting on their Steyr A4 rifles. It appears to come with 3 dot back up sights on top of the scope.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:07:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
so that laser-looking thing is for removing the barrel, huh?  are they going for a quick change on a hot barrel like with an M60 or M249?  jeeeezzz...

I was asking about the cocking handle reciprocating with the bolt- but i'm sure it doesn't.  what you say tells me it doesn't move just like HK's don't move.  it's the MACs and UZIs that move...

Maybe with the heavy bipod barrel, like any squad weapon.  But if you want to go 20" to 16 inch or 14" for a specific mission, its real easy to do.

The charging handle should not move.  It does lock into place.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:56:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Why don't you simply buy the standard Scope. It is from Swarovsky, has brilliant glass and has
BUIS is on top of the sight.
Are you sure the Aug will be available recently? I heard that it will come mid summer or autumn this year.
And if you buy it,  get that Barrel threaded. he

Well at least they began legalizing semi auto guns here in Austria.

BTW r u already member of the IWOE ?

Warlord
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:04:44 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
That's easy. Get the ADI scope that the Australians are putting on their Steyr A4 rifles. It appears to come with 3 dot back up sights on top of the scope.

www.steyr-aug.com/ADI%20Scope%2002.jpg

Where??? Who is selling them in the states?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:19:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted by skyviking:

The AUG handles like a refrigerator compared to the AR. The trigger sucks. Magazine changes are S L O W. If you drop the mag (or tap the bottom of the mag too hard while seating it) the rounds pop out. If that happens while inserting the mag, you now have a type 2 0r 3 malfunction. Oh, did I mention that the trigger sucks, too? Also, unless you have a left-hand bolt (and some extra time to swap for parts in the middle of a firefight), you're gonna have to shoot that (bull)puppy right-handed - and don't even think about transitioning to left shoulder/hand engagement around a L/H barricade/corner. You'll have to lean out and give Tango more to shoot at.

That Mag not holding rounds issue is not true at all. While I had this gun in service I never had
any mag related issues. (and we dropped those mags very often)  Second thing is that the Aug
doesn't need any "left hand bolt" you can use the bolt in both directions.
But it is true that magazine changes take longer than with an AR and that the trigger sucks. (something like 9 pounds trigger pull......)
Regards
Warlord
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:52:18 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.steyr-aug.com/ADI%20Scope%2002.jpg

Where??? Who is selling them in the states?

Cato is from Austria, not america -- If the army is using them over there, then he can probably procure one
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for all the input!! Chen, thanks for the video!

I will look into the Aussie scope if I really decide to buy a AUG-Z, but at the moment,
I am quite satisfied with my OA15-M4gery- with a LaRue/ S&B Short Dot combo!
I may try mounting it on the AUG-Z at my dealer (Seidler) and post a pic here.

PS: Of course, I have been a member of our local NRA, the IWÖ, since 1996!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Sorry about the slightly off topic but I hope they make the new AUG sporter with the new stock that accepts the M16 Nato/ AR-15 magazines. They're available now at PJS Investments, call or shoot him an e-mail for details. I already got mine.

This photo from PJS website.

PJS Investments website link
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
That Mag not holding rounds issue is not true at all. While I had this gun in service I never had
any mag related issues. (and we dropped those mags very often)  Second thing is that the Aug
doesn't need any "left hand bolt" you can use the bolt in both directions.
But it is true that magazine changes take longer than with an AR and that the trigger sucks. (something like 9 pounds trigger pull......)
Regards
Warlord

My only experience is with preban AUGs here in the states.  The bolt was not interchangeable.  It has something similar to the AR cam pin that was held in with a roll pin.  The FAMAS was the bullpup that used the same bolt left or right from what I recall.

Agree the trigger is not ideal.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#28]
ick.  why would you want to use m16 magazines?  I know it's a dumb question- But I wouldn't be running around all tactical'n'shit with my AUG.  I could easily handle the few stock mags I'd be able to get my hands on...

ETA: I love how you have a choice- Black or Green mags when only the base plates are black and OD.  The mag itself is that translucent color..

hahahaa
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Or you can get the AUG stock that accepts AR15 mags, and then get these sweet looking Swedish AK5/FNC/AR15 mags so everything looks right.

Anyone know where I can get my hands on some of these for my FNC?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:04:12 PM EDT
[#30]
The new A3 stock takes both kinds od mags.
Link Posted: 5/30/2005 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Here is a LaRue/S&B combo on my brother's new AUG-Z (for "civilian"):

At the moment it is at the gunsmith to have the barrel turned down to .62
and shortened to 16" with the addition of a EGW brake.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top