Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/20/2005 9:14:43 AM EDT
my son is left eye dominant but right handed....

i have no idea what to do lol

he looks funny as hell  lookin down the sights though

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:52:47 AM EDT
[#1]
tape one eye shut
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Both eyes open, point with trigger finger like you're playing cowboys and indians, hold gun in place, then squeeze trigger.

Really, both eyes open is the key.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:17:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Go Class III and buy him a machinegun, just kidding , try to learn him to shoot with both eyes open , thats a tough one Good luck and GOD Bless
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:38:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I am right-handed, and left-eye dominant.

When shooting pistol, I sight with my left eye (right eye closed) and seem to do ok.
When I was young I first tried shooting a rifle sighting with the left eye --- doesn't work (at least for me), so learned to sight with my right eye with a rifle -- works for me either with left eye closed, or both open.

Don't make a big deal of it, use the left eye where its practical (pistol) and the right where it is not (rifle).
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Okay, I'm a bit weird.

I'm left eye dominant and fairly ambidextrious. I can shoot, eat, and do most anything left/right other than write. I never really had an issue till I started tinkering with the AR15, as non of my guns had peep sights or were so righty friendly..

Many folks say the AR is pretty lefty friendly, but I can't get the hang of it, and I really like how easy it controls in the right hand. For the life of me, I can't shoot right handed with boths eyes open. Left eye is no sweat, but when I use the right eye to look down the sight, all I see is what the left eye is seeing.

Someone told me to practice practice practice, and that is what I'm going to try to do...
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#7]
poke out their left eye
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:44:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I am left eye dominant and right handed as well.  Shooting left handed was very natural for me.  Sure it makes it a little bit awkward to to say... work a bolt and some safeties etc.  But I've developed a way to deal with these things "backwards" and I'm comfortable doing it.  I also learned to shoot left handed before anyone ever told me I was doing it "backwards".  For me the eye dominance was a bigger issue than hand dominance.

I actually purchased a "lefty" bolt action hunting rifle.  I find it is the most awkward gun I own to use because so many other guns I've shot simply do not have a left handed version and I've become so accustomed to the bolt being on the right hand side.

I shoot a pistol right handed though.  I use my left eye to aim but hold the pistol in my right hand.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#9]
If he is still pretty young I would start making him learn to shoot from the left. Otherwise he is going to fight this the rest of his life.  Trying to shoot shotguns at moving targets will really be tough.

I couldn't shoot from the left if my life depended on it. I'm blind in the left eye. Talk about right eye dominant !! hock.gif
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#10]
shoot left handed

I am left handed, right eye dominate . So I shoot right handed.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#12]
tag
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I am right handed and left eye dominant.  I just hold the rifle left handed, and use my left eye to sight with.  Aiming with my right eye feels much worse than shooting left handed.

For some reason, it was never a problem for me.  I also shoot a bow left handed.  

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#14]
If they are left eye dominant and right handed, let them start shooting left handed from the bench.  In a rifle like an AR, they can still access all the controls right handed, and just leave their left hand on the grip.  If they shoot and deal with firearms a good amount, they will pick things up as to which had is easiest to do what with.

This might sound odd to some folk, but I actually think the standard AR is as easier to operate left handed than right.  At least in High Power it is as you don't have to reach around to get the bolt catch when you arm is slinged up tight.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I am right handed but my left eye is MUCH stronger than the right one. I tought myself to shoot from the left shoulder. I had no serious problems at all, and after a while my so called "weak" hand developed a much, much finer sense in the triggerfinger than I have in my right hand.
Talking about "teaching a dumbass only ONE thing.. he will be good at it"...
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:16:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm also right handed/left eye dominant. I shoot a rifle left handed with both eyes open (gotta love the EOTech) and a pistol right handed, both eyes open, head cocked to the right to line the sights up with my left eye.

Buy an ambi selector and let the boy shoot lefty.

ETA: The only problem I've had shooting the AR with the left hand is the gas system will make my eyes burn with certain ammo. WWB is the worst I've found, so far. No problem with S&B, Federal, or Black Hills.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:21:53 PM EDT
[#17]
My dad is this way, he shoots rifle left handed and shotgun and pistol right, but both eyes open.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:05:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
If he is still pretty young I would start making him learn to shoot from the left. Otherwise he is going to fight this the rest of his life.  Trying to shoot shotguns at moving targets will really be tough.

I couldn't shoot from the left if my life depended on it. I'm blind in the left eye. Talk about right eye dominant !!

hes 5

thats when i started
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:37:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Just shoot left shouldered.   Also on bolt action rifles, just teach him to spin the rifle out counterclockwise when working the action to make his left hand be able to reach the bolt easier.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Get a pair of clear shooting glasses.  Put a small piece of regular scotch tape on the left eye side.  You don't have to tape the entire lense.  It should be just a big enough piece to blur the target with his left eye (one inch should be plenty).  You may be surprised how well it works.  Have him then shoot with both eyes open.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:28:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I am right handed but left eye dominant. I shoot left handed and never had a problem except once when I shot a guys left handed bolt gun. I got so used to the right hand bolt that left handed one was way to strange. I also shoot a bow and shoot pool left handed. I also once smoked a left handed cigarette.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:58:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Get a pair of clear shooting glasses.  Put a small piece of regular scotch tape on the left eye side.  You don't have to tape the entire lense.  It should be just a big enough piece to blur the target with his left eye (one inch should be plenty).  You may be surprised how well it works.  Have him then shoot with both eyes open.

thanx!  I'm going to try this!

I'm left eye dom.  & right handed.  
I shoot rifles right handed.  But I play hockey left handed.  I bowl with my right hand.  I write with my right hand.  I can use a PC mouse with either hand.  Not sure about pistols, havent shot one much,  Only a few times, (i'm not 21 yet)

Why not learn to shoot both right and left handed?  And learn to use both eyes, left only, or right only...?
It may come in handy someday if you have to use your weak/unnatural side or eye.  

I have shot lefty a few times...it feels weird.  The more I did it though, the less weird it felt.
But I'm more comfortable shooting righty.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I am also left eye dominant.  I have always just fired handguns with my right hand and rifles/shotguns with my left.  It has always worked well for me.  Hope it helps.[8P
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#24]
IBTL

This should be in General.....
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#25]
I’m left eye dominant and right handed.

Rifle: I shoot right handed and close my left eye when using a scope or precision sights.  When using an Aimpoint, Eotech, Reflex or any zero magnification sight I keep both eyes open.

Pistol: I shoot right handed.  I shoot both eyes open but I turn my head to the right about 40 degrees and look at the sights with my left eye.

Shotgun “clays or wingshooting”:  I shoot right handed.  I keep both eyes open when ID’ing the moving target through the mounting and swinging of the gun.  Once I’m swinging ahead for my lead I close my left eye and hit the trigger when ready.  If I try and shoot moving targets with both eyes open I miss.  My method sounds awkward but with a bit of practice it works.  I don’t even think about it any more and it’s automatic.

I tried to shoot left handed but it just didn’t feel natural.  When I was a kid I used to shoot my BB gun Right Handed with my head rolled over the action so I could use my left eye.  Once I moved on to cartridge rifles I realized that was not the way to shoot.  It’s not ideal being cross dominant but it hasn’t stopped me from winning a few local cowboy action shoots, informal bullseye or 100 yard rifle competitions.  I guess I’m trying to say it’s not a curse and you don’t have to try and cure it.  Learn to work with it and I’m sure your Son will make you proud.

Good Luck,

Hanz
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Rifle,shotgun, and bow left, even though I am right eye dominant and right handed.  I think it was from starting so young that I needed my stronger arm out on the forend.  Pistol right handed though.  Makes it nice to transition from rifle to pistol.  I am right eye dominant doing the finger test but have found that my left will take over.  I guess it is just years and alot of rounds.

ETA I shoot everything both eyes open.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:32:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I am right handed and right eye dominant.  When I first learned to shoot I closed my left eye like everyone else.  But then I noticed that it was a lot easier to just sight using my right eye and ignore the left eye image.  I shoot everything this way, peep sights, regular leaf iron sights, scopes, red dots, handguns and shotguns.  I don't know if I "practiced" this technique much I just seemed to have developed it over time.  As far as teaching your son to shoot left handed I would not reccomend it because many guns simply are not offered in a left handed version.  When my dad began teaching my brother to shoot he would not allow him to shoot left handed as he initally wanted to.  This was not a problem because he had never shot before and had no experience using either side.  Now he can shoot from either side easily because he is naturally left handed but was taught to shoot right.  Similarly I have heard that in many countries left handed shooters in the military are not a concern like they are in the U.S. because the recruits are never exposed to guns and have never developed a preference for either side, they are taught that all guns are fired from the right side using their right eye.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
poke out their left eye

ditto
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Here's one for you:
I'm left hand dominant.
I shoot a rifle Right handed and draw my pistol left handed BUT aim it with my right eye.
Now for the kicker..a few years ago I learned I'm left EYE dominant...
I figured f*ck it...after 20 plus years of doing it like that.
I does make it easy to "drop" the rifle and draw the pistol, although I don't have to "drop" the rifel....I'm a tactical dynamo!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Put a strip of scotch tape vertically on the center of the left lens of his shooting glasses.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:48:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

hes 5

thats when i started

Yeah, start him going lefty if he is willing.  It might make it seem more cool if you said you were going to learn to shoot from the left too. Then he and dad would be doing it together. It is something you should be capable of anyway.  

I am pretty sure that Savage has some LH 22 bolt action rifles.  Be a good Christmas gift one of these years.  

I used to be pretty fast with a bolt rifle. Most people have never seen someone that really knows how to pump the rounds out of one.  You never take it from your shoulder.  Just barely cock your face out of the way as the bolt comes back [ not even necessary with some rifles ] , work the bolt smartly and line up the sights as the bolt is closing , acquire the trigger, aim, squeeze, fire, repeat.....
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:53:05 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Trying to shoot shotguns at moving targets will really be tough.

I must have gotten lucky.  The first time I ever shot trap I scored 14 out of 25.  Not that great, but it was one of the first times I had ever shot a shotgun.  Next round I shot a 19 and the third round that day I scored a 22.  I usually shoot in the low 20s, but don't shoot trap very often.

Now ask me how I did at five stand.  Man, that sucked.  hr

Trap is easy, put the bead under the bird and pull the trigger. Try skeet where you really have to lead the bird and then your dominant eye might cause more problems. Probably your issue in 5 stand [ something I am unfamiliar with ]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Shotgun “clays or wingshooting”:  I shoot right handed.  I keep both eyes open when ID’ing the moving target through the mounting and swinging of the gun.  Once I’m swinging ahead for my lead I close my left eye and hit the trigger when ready.  If I try and shoot moving targets with both eyes open I miss.  My method sounds awkward but with a bit of practice it works.  I don’t even think about it any more and it’s automatic.

IGood Luck,

Hanz

Many years ago I saw an interesting device clipped to a shotgun rib. Basically it just block the front bead from the left eye's line of sight.   It was about 1/4" tall and about 4 to 6" long attached to the left side of the rib right at the front. The right eye could see the front bead but the left eye could not. I wonder if  you might could rig up something like this to help you.  I have found that closing my left eye does sharpen up my vision as I am on blind in the center of it's vision field. But I have also found that closing my left eye is fatiguing.

rj
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
shoot left handed

I am left handed, right eye dominate . So I shoot right handed.

+1
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#37]
One more case for you, I am right eye dominant.  I shoot long guns, bows and aim a camera with my left eye off the left shoulder i.e. lefthanded).  I close my right eye and use the left to aim.  In skeet and trap, I leave them both open until I pick up the tgt and then close the right one.

I shoot a pistol with my right hand and use my right eye but normally both eyes open.

Seems when I was young, they broke me of the bad habit of being left handed but didn't catch the part with shoulder guns.  I don't do do badly, in my younger days, I was able to make it to Perry on a service team and have a couple of legs and a Sec Navy Trophy Rifle to show for it.  

My advice is let him do what feels natural and comfortable.  It will all work out.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#38]
A friend of mine who is a competitive shooter once told me that Eye dominance, like hand dominance is something that can be learned. He said that you can "teach" or train your brain to focus using  your right eye.

What he advised me to do was - using a translucent tape - tape over the left lense of your shooting glasses so that it blurrs your left eyes vision. This he said will "teach" your brain to compensate and focus through your right eye.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:42:54 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
A friend of mine who is a competitive shooter once told me that Eye dominance, like hand dominance is something that can be learned. He said that you can "teach" or train your brain to focus using  your right eye.

What he advised me to do was - using a translucent tape - tape over the left lense of your shooting glasses so that it blurrs your left eyes vision. This he said will "teach" your brain to compensate and focus through your right eye.

hr

This will probably work until you get extremely fatigued. Then I think your brain will quit compensating and you will start seeing the side of the weapon instead of the sights.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:53:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Eye patch worked for me
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

These kinds of things only work if you're dealing with "normal" eyesight. If you've got astigmatism (like I do), no amount of transparent tape will help.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:47:21 AM EDT
[#42]
It's simple, shoot long arms left handed and pistols right handed.

I was born left handed / left eye dominant.  My mother wanted me to be right handed, so she taught me to do everything right handed.....except shoot, which I learned to do using my dominant left eye.

It seems a little wierd, but it makes for one hell of a transition.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#43]
As much as I love my ARs and NFA stuff I fire more shotshells/annum than metallic cartridges.  Dealing with eye dominance as an adult who has been shooting for many years is entirely different than doing so with a new shooter.  It is particularly so when the new shooter is only 5 and the matter of true, lifelong eye dominance is actually not yet settled inasmuch as the brain and spinal pathways are not even fully myelinated.

Children will not infrequently switch dominance a few times until their teens.  To force a child to shoot as a cross-dominant in such cases is just plain foolish.  Under no circumstances would I ever consider using tape or smudges to deal with eye dominance at the age of 5.  

Next, far and away the best option - should cross-dominance persist into early adulthood - is to teach the child to shoot shotguns and rifles from the opposite side.  The neurophysiology behind this is ridiculously simple:  it is far easier to teach the body to execute movement in response to correct sensory input than it is to teach the body to work with less than perfect - or downright confusing - sensory input.

Now you will hear from a great number of prestidigitators who will say:  "I shoot AA in the .410 and I'm cross-dominant".  To this I would reply:  think of how good you could have been.  Yes there are some really good cross-dominant competitors, but the top-tier is not full of such people.  The human capacity to overcome handicap is truly amazing - this is no argument to give oneself a handicap.

Sam  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:57:28 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This will probably work until you get extremely fatigued. Then I think your brain will quit compensating and you will start seeing the side of the weapon instead of the sights.

No, it won't.  I've been doing it for years, first with shotguns, then with rifles.  I can shoot a couple of 100 bird sporting clays rounds or a full day NRA HP match and my eyes do not get tired at all.

I have NEVER had a moment when "my brain will quit compensating and you will start seeing the side of the weapon instead of the sights".  Ever.  It is impossible since the tape blocks the straight ahead view out of the left eye.

I cannot believe why people make this so complicated.  The tape is brutally simple and brutally effective if you do not or cannot learn to shoot from the other side.

As an aside, all the eye dominance tests that I have tried have told me I am right eye dominant.  But apparently my left eye is just strong enough to sometimes fight the right for focus dominance.  That is why I wear the tape and why I cannot learn to shoot left handed.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:12:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:33:28 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Hmm..

I might try this for myself..

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:40:04 AM EDT
[#47]
teach him to shoot left handed. he's young, and he'll be a better shooter in the future because of it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:35:37 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I cannot believe why people make this so complicated.  The tape is brutally simple and brutally effective if you do not or cannot learn to shoot from the other side.
.  That is why I wear the tape and why I cannot learn to shoot left handed.

I didn't realize you meant use the tape for all time. I thought it was just a temporary deal.  It even reinforces Hoggson's post even further.  Why would you even suggest that a 5 year old begin a lifetime of 'bandaiding' his shooting ?  

As Hoggson said, imagine how much better you could do if you used your dominant eye and were able to keep both open and working as intended.

Also, when I said fatigued I meant shtf, been up 3 days, hungry, looters at the street, adrenaline roller coaster fatigued.  Then you will probably be seeing the side of the rifle.  Unless you stop to put tape on your glasses.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:21:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Left eye right handed due to bike wreck in 85! Country boy been shooting most of my 40 years

I use both eyes when shooting handguns/ aimpoint!

Its no big deal unless your right eye is VERY BAD
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top