Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2003 7:46:38 AM EDT
i scratched my lower receiver whats the best way to remove the scratches or at least clean them up well? thanx
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 7:56:46 AM EDT
[#1]
You can either have the lower re-finished or you can buy a special touch-up pen made by
Birchwood-Casey. Brownells.com has them for a few bucks. They work pretty good. Just remember, as much as you don't like the scratches, they add character and prove that your weapon is properly utilized and not some safe queen.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Does the scratch go all the way to the "shiny" surface of the reciever?  Or just into the finish?
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
as much as you don't like the scratches, they add character and prove that your weapon is properly utilized and not some safe queen.
View Quote

Yeah, that or it just proves how clumsy you are.  I'm such a boob that my stuff gets more scratches going into/out of the safe than it does in use.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 10:42:47 PM EDT
[#4]
That's not a scratch, that is very desirable patina.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 11:22:05 PM EDT
[#5]
its a scratch that goes through the finish- u see silver. i really need to know how to remove it cause it looks ugly as hell. thnx
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 12:45:55 AM EDT
[#6]
What manufacture of weapon is it?

I’ve seen what appear to be scratches come right off of weapons that are hard coat anodized. Not sure who all does this but I believe Colt and Bushmaster do.

Best regards, J
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 3:55:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Use some Birchwood-Casey 'Aluminum Black' if the scratches look silver. They won't be any smoother, but at least will be harder to see. At some future time, when you want to restore the whole receiver, use Brownells Moly/Teflon Oven Cure coating, and sand the scratches out during that process.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep, What he said!!!  

Or just do like me and buy a new AR[:D]  I buy a new one everytime I run outta ammo.  That means it's broken right[:P]  Do the same thing with cars....outta gas?  Time for a new car[shock] I kid, I kid!
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Those Birchwood-Casey pens work great, but if you're in a pinch you can use a Sharpie black permanent marker. I used a Sharpie to cover up a small scratch on my RRA upper and with a little CLP rubbed on, I can't tell that there was ever a scratch. The only problem is that when you go to clean it, the ink will come off to reveal the aluminum surface again.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 2:25:01 PM EDT
[#10]
can you take a polishing wheel on a dremel to em??
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#11]
The Birchwood-Casey pens from [url=www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/15101.asp]Bushmaster[/url]
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Or dab on some rustoleum flat black with a Q-tip.  Let it dry a bit and rub off any excess!  Re apply if need be.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:54:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 7:34:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree!  However, I think it takes most people at least 6 months to a year to get over the idea of "scraaaaaaatching" their AR's!  Like nails on a chalkboard!  Especially all the money put into them...not to mention if it's a preban!  I remember my first time......

Something about this weapon turns men to mama's[:D]
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I know! I have a Colt Sporter preban target model. Love it to death. Came with some scratches, but hey, it give it character!

I'd really like to see some pics of some beat-to-hell ARs/M16s on here... Anyone?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top