Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2004 12:41:15 PM EST
I own a 14.5 inch barreled M4. I recently put in a wolfe HD extractor spring and topped it off with a danco#60 rubber ring over the spring as a fail safe measure. I went to the range wednesday and bought 160 rds. of Winchester 45 grain hollowpoints put them in Thermold mags and experienced numerous failures to feed almost every other round. Thought it my be a defective mag so I put them in the other Thermolds... same thing. Thinking it might be ammo I went a got some Wolf 55grain hollow points. same thing happened. In evbery case the rounds lodged just below the feed ramps. when I went a few months earlier I bought american eaglel 55grain fmj and the rifle functioned 100%. Whats causing these problems and is there a solution?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:00:28 PM EST
I have always had problems with hollow point feeding. Also with soft points parts of the tips get knocked off on my guns when they feed into the chamber.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:09:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/10/2004 8:12:22 PM EST by Dano523]
Been there, done that.

If you have a Colt upper, then the feed ramps have already been improved, so that's out as a solution.

Next idea is to find a mag that sits a little higher in the mag well. Thank god for the Brits because their SA80 mags do just that. Hell, half the time you have to knock the feed lips down to prevent them from binding on the bottom of the carrier.

So to sum it up, you may get along by just switching to USGI mags, but the better bet may be the SA80 mags. Since you can get a SA80 mag for around $15, I saw buy one and see if it solves the problem on your rifle.

As for a band aid, wedge a match book in between the mag and the back of the mag well. This cams the front of the mag up, and allows the bullet tip to clear the upper flat below the feed ramps on feeding.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:28:51 PM EST
If you have the same problem with USGI mags, replacing the mag spring might help. Weak mag springs will cause the same problem you are experiencing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:21:15 PM EST
Wait a minute, you said you replaced the extractor spring with HD Wolf...AND an O-ring? I think one or the other would be enough. I know the extractor pressure should'nt have much to do with your bullets jamming below the ramps, but, did you have the problem before that? It is not hard to do your own M4 ramps with a dremel. I have done it numerous times with no problems, it always fixes the failure to feed. Just dremel what is necessary, look and see exactly where the nose of the bullet is hitting, and check both the left and right ramp, and polish and blend the ramp where it needs to go, just a little at a time and staying with the shape of the current ramp. DO NOT do this if you are not comfortable, I'm just letting you know that it is common practice to fix this problem. But I would take some tension off of that extractor first, it's unlikely, but if it worked before?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:30:28 PM EST
Top Top