Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/14/2008 8:14:50 PM EDT
whats the deal with these. Saw a couple at a local shop built with Vulcan uppers and decided to check here. I have found negativity but am wondering what the main problems are. Quality, accuracy, customer service, or what? The price was decent compared to the other major brand named AR's he had on the rack. I defer to your vast knowlege on this matter. I searched but didn't really see any details as to what makes these the guns to avoid. Any more info than just " stay away" would be great. Thanks for your help in my learning more before I spend any money.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#1]
i have never held/shot one but from what i have read(which is a lot), it seems to be predominantly a matter of very inconsistant/inferior quality control.  I would avoid this gun like the plague.  DPMS, bushy, RRA, stag would all make better choices.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#2]
they = FAIL

avoid at all costs

YMMV
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#3]
When an AR manufacturer has to change its name every year so people will buy there product, it shouldn't be in business to start with.

Reminds me of Jennings, Loricin, Bryco, Jiminez, etc.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#4]
They use rejects.

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#5]
If I read this right ( often I don't ) They actually manufacture their parts and don't just use outsourced Receivers, BCG's and barrels?
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#6]
< You FAIL for posting such images in violation of forum rules - F >
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#7]

They are wonderful.

As long as you never have to actually shoot them.

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 8:42:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They are wonderful.

http://i35.tinypic.com/55gdjs.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/23hkb2g.jpg

Is that cast?
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 9:22:23 PM EDT
[#9]

STAY AWAY....

Hesse change to Vulcan. Then started Blackthorne.  Now they are Velocity Firearms.

They keep changing their name but the lack of Quality stays the same.

I have redone many barreled upper that people got from Black thorne they seem to be put toghther by a monkey in the back room.   And the monkey must have been drunk..
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 9:31:51 PM EDT
[#10]

HA!  Take it to 10-8.  That's hillarious.

bad materials, that lower up there is maybe poor quality cast aluminum, out of spec all over the place, canted barrels, bad chambers, bad headspace, loose FSB, FSB out of alignment with the port, the port to small or large.....................all of the above, I've read here and there.  

No personal experience, mind you, but all the bad accounts over the years couldn't be just made up, I don't think.

ETA:  I wonder if there ARE any happy Vulcan owners out there...............I don't think I've ever heard of any.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 9:35:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 9:36:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey, SPAM kicks ass!
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Everytime I go to my local store I see people buying junk AR's, I saw a guy buying a hesse and a bunch buying Oly. ~800 a piece. I have to bite my tongue. I usually mutter something to myself so I can at least pretend like I tried to help them.

My latest build cost 650$ and I'm sure every part of it is much better quality than a junk ass hesse.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 5:17:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are wonderful.

http://i35.tinypic.com/55gdjs.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/23hkb2g.jpg

Is that cast?

The Hesse is cast (badly I might add) the Vulcan is weak aramid fiber composite.

Here is a picture of the composite Vulcan showing it's markings.

http://i33.tinypic.com/so060k.jpg

Vulcan shown above. The Hesse receivers were cast aluminum. If cast properly, a lower reciever can perform well (DPMS, PWA and Oly have all cast good, if not military grade, lower receivers.) Hesse didn't get it right.

Most concur that Hesse simply changed their name to Vulcan.

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 5:26:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hey, SPAM kicks ass!

+1
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 7:01:37 AM EDT
[#16]
But wait! everyone knows they are the MACHINE GUNS OF THE SPECIAL FORCES!
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 7:41:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hey, SPAM kicks ass!

yea, c'mon dude.  use a different example
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 7:55:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
But wait! everyone knows they are the MACHINE GUNS OF THE SPECIAL FORCES!
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/jcrowl/vulcan_logo.jpg

They must be the BEST!
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 9:29:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Its not the Spam inside that I am making fun of. It is that Vulcan/Hesse/Blackthorne/et al use the same tin pressing machinery to manufacture their lowers that Spam uses to make their cans...
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 9:45:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Even with prices going up, there is no reason in the world to use Hesse/Vulcan/Blackthorn, or any new name I may have missed.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 10:07:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Even with prices going up, there is no reason in the world to use Hesse/Vulcan/Blackthorn, or any new name I may have missed.

Correct.  No matter how much you MAY save, you're most likely getting crap, and that just ain't worth it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 10:28:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I posted a real WTB/WTT for a Vulcan V 18 in the EE I want one for my collection,
Seriously.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 10:39:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Be sure to check the warranty on it or should i say the lack of one. The lower i had broke. I found out the hard way..
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 12:14:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
STAY AWAY....

Hesse change to Vulcan. Then started Blackthorne.  Now they are Velocity Firearms

This bears repeating. Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 2:27:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Be sure to check the warranty on it or should i say the lack of one. The lower i had broke. I found out the hard way..

No not for shooting , ever. just for the collection.
IM sent.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 2:51:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I posted a real WTB/WTT for a Vulcan V 18 in the EE I want one for my collection,
Seriously.

I know you're not gonna shoot it........................but..........whaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Holy crap!  Page 2 says whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 3:57:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seriously.

I know you're not gonna shoot it........................but..........whaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Holy crap!  Page 2 says whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

NOOoooooo If I shot it and it let loose and took my face off then i wouln't be able to hold it up before the wondering eyes of the noobs and say,,,,,,,"Behold ! the most un holy f&%ktard piece of s––t ever concieved by man !"
All sarcasm aside I do want a V18 Rifle and a V15 plastic lower for my accumulation.
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
whats the deal with these. Saw a couple at a local shop built with Vulcan uppers and decided to check here. I have found negativity but am wondering what the main problems are. Quality, accuracy, customer service, or what? The price was decent compared to the other major brand named AR's he had on the rack. I defer to your vast knowlege on this matter. I searched but didn't really see any details as to what makes these the guns to avoid. Any more info than just " stay away" would be great. Thanks for your help in my learning more before I spend any money.

Vulcan does not make AR's, they make AR-shaped pieces of shit.  Seriously.  Those "things" are not AR-15's any more than a watch you get from a grocery store 25-cent bubble machine is a real watch, let alone a rolex.
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 11:08:54 PM EDT
[#29]

The Yugo of Firearms

Link Posted: 12/5/2008 1:39:20 AM EDT
[#30]

Not sure why I laughed at this one, but I did.
I'd avoid em for the reason they state up front that they in no way warranty or guaranty their products. And from what I've seen posted hear, there are plenty of other reasons. Wheres the pic of the busted lower anyway

ETA:Missed the pics on page 1.
Link Posted: 12/5/2008 2:42:12 AM EDT
[#31]
There was one at the Columbus gun show last week end. They could not get the bolt to cycle correctly
Link Posted: 12/5/2008 3:06:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If I read this right ( often I don't ) They actually manufacture their parts and don't just use outsourced Receivers, BCG's and barrels?

This is the only case where it would be better if they out-sourced their parts!
Link Posted: 12/5/2008 5:33:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The Yugo of Firearms

That would be a complement for Vulcan
Link Posted: 12/5/2008 5:42:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The Yugo of Firearms

Link Posted: 12/5/2008 5:52:25 AM EDT
[#35]
But on their homepage it says that they are "Technology's tip of the spear"....

Does that mean that these are only good for spears?
Link Posted: 12/11/2008 5:15:31 PM EDT
[#36]
i'm really glad i found this thread! i was going to buy a couple of double star lowers from a somewhat local gun shop. they got 50 in yesterday and sold out before i got ahold of them today. he said he just got a load of vulcans in. he told me they were made by the same people who make double star (which i know isn't true now) and they actually look better. he told me $200 a piece, but he's drop it to $180. i thought about it for a while, then stumbled across their site. they have them for $120. i then decided to look on here before i get ahold of them again trying to get one cheaper. i'm definately not buying now. i'll wait until double star starts production back up and i'll spend some more
Link Posted: 12/21/2008 3:08:03 PM EDT
[#37]
If you are looking for lowers Boom to Zoom in Marshfield Wisconsin has DPMS and RRA for $179 They also have S&W for $200 www.boomtozoom.net.
Link Posted: 12/21/2008 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If you are looking for lowers Boom to Zoom in Marshfield Wisconsin has DPMS and RRA for $179 They also have S&W for $200 www.boomtozoom.net.

What exactly does that have to do with this thread?
Link Posted: 12/21/2008 3:27:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
i'm really glad i found this thread! i was going to buy a couple of double star lowers from a somewhat local gun shop. they got 50 in yesterday and sold out before i got ahold of them today. he said he just got a load of vulcans in. he told me they were made by the same people who make double star (which i know isn't true now) and they actually look better. he told me $200 a piece, but he's drop it to $180. i thought about it for a while, then stumbled across their site. they have them for $120. i then decided to look on here before i get ahold of them again trying to get one cheaper. i'm definately not buying now. i'll wait until double star starts production back up and i'll spend some more

AIM has Superior and CMMG in stock.  Price on the Superior is good..

They have marked up the CMMG by about $20, but still not bad.  

Why not just pick up one of those, and save some money.

Here ya go!

P.S.  They are 3 weeks behind on shipping, so expect a little wait time before you can finger bang one.

Link Posted: 12/21/2008 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#40]
How do they stay in bus.??????????????
Link Posted: 12/21/2008 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#41]
No i must disagree SPAM sucks balls. however, SPICY SPAM is the meat god had at the last supper. I highly advise goin to the spam website and ordering a case if they have it in stock.
Link Posted: 12/21/2008 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#42]
I would prefer to buy a airsoft rifle.. I would feel safer.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 2:45:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
STAY AWAY....

Hesse change to Vulcan. Then started Blackthorne.  Now they are Velocity Firearms.

They keep changing their name but the lack of Quality stays the same.

I have redone many barreled upper that people got from Black thorne they seem to be put toghther by a monkey in the back room.   And the monkey must have been drunk..

According to Daniel Riesland of Velocity arms they are not the same company. Here is his email to me slightly edited:
Hello Slacker,

Velocity does not have anything to due with Vulcan Arms.  Velocity bought the rights to the V10-45 about a year ago.  You should contact Vulcan for any warrant work on there AR lowers.

Please visit us at www.velocityfirearms.com

> Subject: RE: Message from Velocity Firearms
> Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 18:15:43 -0500
> From:
> To:
>
> Is or was Vulcan/Hesse the same company as the current Velocity arms?
>
>
> ––––-Original Message––––-
> From: Daniel Riesland
> Sent: Mon 12/22/2008 6:08 PM
> To:
> Subject: RE: Message from Velocity Firearms
>
>
> Hello,
>
> Velocity does not provide warranty services on there lowers. Contact the manufacturer of the lower.
>
> Please visit us at www.velocityfirearms.com

Link Posted: 12/22/2008 3:08:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Friends don't let friends buy Hesse.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#45]
If you can get a Superior for 84.95 like it shows on the AIM site then by all means go for it.
I have 2 Ar,s built on their lowers and I have to say that they have been the best I have worked with.
I am going to order 3 more just to have on hand cause I like them so much,not to mention that Superior is loctaed in Iowa
and not to far from me.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 5:08:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Apparently by changing their name every few years after it becomes common knowledge who they really are.  I think it was PT Barnum who said something about a sucker being born every minute.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 5:29:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently by changing their name every few years after it becomes common knowledge who they really are.  I think it was PT Barnum who said something about a sucker being born every minute.

It's that contract for machine guns from the Special Forces.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 5:57:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the fact that folks who don't know any better or don't care because of the low prices continue to buy their junk.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 6:42:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
STAY AWAY....

Hesse change to Vulcan. Then started Blackthorne.  Now they are Velocity Firearms

This bears repeating. Thanks for the heads up!

And don't forget this iteration:
AK Parts Kits

Link Posted: 2/19/2009 6:59:10 AM EDT
[#50]
I agree 100% with these guy avoid at all costs. When I got my rifle I wanted to change a few things, flatop, quad rail. My dad told me of a guy in the PD he worked at that could help me, long story short this guy took me for 160 bucks by giving me vulcan parts, so now a have a upper that is useless unless maybe I want to build a .22 rifle and a quad rail that I don't know what to do with

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top