Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/30/2006 9:08:35 AM EDT
alright so im a college student an i just got hired for the summer at a really nice well paying indoor mon-fri 8am-4:30 job
couldnt ask for more
now i just built my AR on monday an i have a zero power walther red dot but my dot is something like 4 or 5 moa at 100 yards an covers up the black on the target (i still can hit the x ring however)
im looking for some low power scope 3-5x an naturally my first option is the ACOG i found a great place to buy one for around 699 brand new for i think the NSN, the one without the fiber optik on top an has bullet drop built in

so talk me into buying one, or if any of you know of any good low power scopes that fit nicely on an AR then post em up here
help me pick one out
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:20:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on your budget, but for me, I am looking at a TR21-R (1-4x) on a Larue SPR-EE mount for my next optic.  I am on a limited budget so it won't be for a while (just sold my Eotech to pay some surprise bills), but 1-4x in a scope with BAC meets the versatility balance I need since I can only afford a single scope for the AR.  

I wish it had a different reticle (I sent Trijicon my idea) as I want something with holdover and windage marks but until that happens, the TR21-R meets the mark (unless money falls from the sky, then a Schmidt und Bender Short-Dot might happen).

Edit:

I removed a referral to another dealer because TalonArms is working to earn your business here by making a solid recommendation, and they have a good reputation on the EE.

TalonArms is suggesting the same scope I am.  If you haven't looked through one, do it.  Bang for buck, it's an outstanding optic for close to intermediate ranges.  Not as fast as a dot or Eotech for CQB, but goes out to longer ranges without adding a lot of weight.

The new Elcan would be good too (1x and 4x), but I expect it to be more expensive than your budget.

An advantage to both these scopes is that if you have astigmatism like I do, they shouldn't bloom or smudge (best description I can give it).  For me the Aimpoints and Eotechs tend to get fuzzy even with contacts or glasses on, and without correction they get really bad.  I can read without glasses but the astigmatism really affects those optics.  I found the ACOGs, TR21-R, and the older Elcans not to have the same issue.  I haven't tried the IOR or other scopes except to look through them, but I have now owned both Aimpoint and Eotech and my eyes weren't up to the task.  They are all great optics, and I will probably buy another Eotech or Aimpoint someday despite the vision issues simply because of the NV capability.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#2]
i forgot about the valdata scopes (sp?)
my budget for optics rings everything mounted is around 600 or so
the acog for 699 would be the absolute max

any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:30:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:32:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:21:00 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 for the IOR 1.1-4x26 CRT.  I use one here in Iraq, and as soon as I get home I'm buying one with the new reticle from Mike.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top