Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2004 8:53:26 PM EDT
OK, despite how simple it looks I'm an idiot and can't get it installed correctly. Now matter how hard I pull back on the slip ring and how hard I push down on the rear part of the top RAS piece I can't get the rear of the RAS in position that is even with the rail on the upper receiver. What am I doing wrong?

Am I correct that the tab at the front of the RAS needs to be depressed and fitted UNDER the front handguard cap?

Need some help here. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:42:01 PM EDT
[#1]
my tab(s) are both over the handguard ring up front.

Take the allen screw on the top rail toward the rear of the RAS out.

Hold the rifle...muzzle end down(found this worked easiest...can hold it upright, anything that will allow the claw on the RAS to stay open, and not prematurely clamp up).  Put the front of the RAS in first...and push the RAS's "claw" all the way back.  Give the delta ring hell, make sure you keep the thing straight, get the claw around the gas tube and under the barrel nut, reinsert the screw, and tighten it down.  Thats about it.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Also, I didnt lock tite the allen screw, do the instructions say to do so?  I have a canteliver mount that extends over the screw right now, so getting to it might be a problem haha.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Remove the allen screw, keep the claw open. I'm going to give it a try.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:01:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Not going well at all, pissing me off! Not even close to making that #%$& fit. Just beating up the back of the RAS and making gouge marks on the slip ring. Got to be a better way.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:09:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a similar issue when installing mine as well, just about drove me batty. I grabbed a buddy of mine and had him make sure that the piece on the upper that hangs down goes inside of the ring, otherwise it won't fit one damn bit. After using a tiny screwdriver to ensure that happens, it fit like a dream. Grab a buddy and repeat for yourself. Good luck. Also, quarterbore has the manual if you're still having difficulty.

www.quarterbore.com/kac/kacrisras.html
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:11:49 PM EDT
[#6]
What manufacture is your upper?  Make sure you depress the delta ring evenly too.  My M5 RAS was pretty tight, but it will fit on there- wait until you can get another set of hands helping you out, and you will get it on.  Also, is your barrel true to M4 profile?  The M4 RAS is made for the M4 profile, and nothing else.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I had a similar issue when installing mine as well, just about drove me batty. I grabbed a buddy of mine and had him make sure that the piece on the upper that hangs down goes inside of the ring, otherwise it won't fit one damn bit. After using a tiny screwdriver to ensure that happens, it fit like a dream. Grab a buddy and repeat for yourself. Good luck. Also, quarterbore has the manual if you're still having difficulty.

www.quarterbore.com/kac/kacrisras.html

Exactly right- if that claw isnt all the way open, no chance in hell will you get it on.  Sometimes its a pretty tight fit around that gas tube, and when the claw and tube meet, the claw closes before you can get it under the nut.  That might be your problem.  Pay close attention to that claw.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:31:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What manufacture is your upper?  Make sure you depress the delta ring evenly too.    

I can't seem to get the d-ring back far enough to get it on. I've tried it with a CMMG M4 barrel and a Colt lightweight.

The PDF file on quaterbore was helpful, it's just he getting it done part.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:34:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Exactly right- if that claw isnt all the way open, no chance in hell will you get it on.  Sometimes its a pretty tight fit around that gas tube, and when the claw and tube meet, the claw closes before you can get it under the nut.  That might be your problem.

I've noticed that. Didn't expect it to be this difficult. If course it's a new upper so the delta ring and spring are tight but I'm not that weak.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:02:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the advice. Despite your best intentions and my best efforts... I can't make it fit. It'll have to get sent out to have it installed. If I had know I'd have to do that I might have picked something else. May have to reconsider things. OK, I'm done ranting.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Get a buddy to help!  You'll get it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:15:02 AM EDT
[#12]
On my RAS II I just took the screw out before assembly as per the instructions.
Check out this site  quarterbore.com/library/pdf_files/rasii22243inst.pdf It's the same instructions as in the xerox copy but larger and in color.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top