Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/26/2004 10:25:44 AM EDT
ok i have gone through the hard part of getting one, thanks to munyguru. now questions about sighting it in. the other week i was only able to shoot at 50yds and decided to sight it in there for the time being. but this week i got out to the 100yd.

ok i know what line or upper part of the donut gets sighted in ar 100yds and the other lines hit in increments of 100yds.

so here is the question how the hell do some of you guys see that far? i got it to hit paper or inside of the target which is about a ft wide all the shots are about 6moa at 100yd

i have shot at 100yd with a 10x scope and thought it was fun and couldnt wait till i got out there with the acog but after yesterday i dont know now. i wear eye glasses but had a friend that just got his lense renewed and he said he coukdnt see jack neither

so is it ok with my 6moa at this point? i am somewhat on target just kinda opened up. thanks for any help that can be offered.

oh i am shoothing a bm superlite 16" with q3131a, bench. acog on top of arms sir in a 19s
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#1]
With XM193, I can shoot 2 MOA with my 20" Bushmaster and TA31 from a benchrest but I have to really take my time.

What would help us out a lot is to hear what kind of groups other shooters get with your rifle, unless this wide dispersion is not a typical day at the rifle range for you.  Please understand that the TA31 is a great optic but it's not a precision optic, especially if you're somewhat new to it and the rifle.

-edited to add -

What kind of target where you using?  Size of bullseye, etc.?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#2]
the TA31 is a great optic but it's not a precision optic,

please elaborat.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:03:56 AM EDT
[#3]
the targets used is the cheap one the ranges give you which is about 12 inches round and the bulleseye is about an inch. I have shot my 20" bull barrel with 10x scope and 10/22 out this far and was able to keep it around or under 1moa. only person i had with me that day wasnt able to see the targets that far.

after a couple of shots i was able to hold around 4moa, but what i wanted to know is what do you guys get from it cause i noticed the manual says use the top of the donut for 100yds center for 2 and so on. with that in mine the lenght from top to center is only like 1-2moa.

i think that if i was shooting man siced targets i could possibly pull off headshots with the exception of the frequent flyer

just to add to give a better idea of the targets used the outer ring of the donut covered the outer most ring of the entire target.

this was not the first time out at a 100yd line but im not no  sharpshooter. thanks for any help guys
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:49:49 AM EDT
[#4]
OK, there's your problem: you used too small a target by far.  You need a lot more contrast with a 4x optic than you do with a 10x optic, just do the math.

The TA31 isn't really about holding tight groups, it's about hitting man-sized targets at distance.  Like you said, get one of those and you can do head-shots at 100 yards all day with just a bit of practise.  Start out with a nicely drawn, bright dot as the target's nose to give you an aimpoint and go from there.  Once you move out from 100 yards concentrate on COM (center of mass) shots.

I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:09:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I was shooting my TA31 at 25 meter reflex zeroing targets.  The target area is about close to 6"   inches in diameter.  We were using them at 100 yards and the 4 moa donut fit real nice over it.  As we are talking minute of man here, as long as all my shots fell into this area, I am fine with that.  Groups were typically 2"-3" from bench rest.  Next time I go, I will try out the BDC reticule out to 200 yds.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:19:36 AM EDT
[#6]
ok so from what i am reading i am pretty much good to go! all my shots would be real good head shots with man sized targets so i guess thats good.

just thought that i should be daymn near zeroed on after reading the manual.

the range i go to plowwed down the 200yd lane and made it into 100yd so i wont be able to test it out there but i guess its ok though cause i cant see that far

thanks again
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:13:01 AM EDT
[#7]
eklikwhoa - are you in the DFW area? I do some bench shooting with my donut just for fun. The targets with 1" grid lines are nice for this since they let you "box" the donut so that you can hold a consistent point of aim.

Another handy way to reduce group size and print a nice group with a donut is slap one of those 1" diameter Shoot-N-See dots on a white target background and then try to hit the dot from the 100yd line. Even if you don't hit the dot, I bet you'll notice the group size shrinks quite a bit.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:39:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
eklikwhoa - are you in the DFW area? I do some bench shooting with my donut just for fun. The targets with 1" grid lines are nice for this since they let you "box" the donut so that you can hold a consistent point of aim.

Another handy way to reduce group size and print a nice group with a donut is slap one of those 1" diameter Shoot-N-See dots on a white target background and then try to hit the dot from the 100yd line. Even if you don't hit the dot, I bet you'll notice the group size shrinks quite a bit.

im in houston. all of the above recomendations sound good. om gonna try the shoot and see but either way it goes i still cant see that far out through the scope.

thanks everyone, as always yall have helped me out again
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top