Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2014 1:33:39 PM EDT
Ok, so looking at 2 flash suppressors.  The YHM Phantom and Midwest industries flash hider.  I like the looks of both, but thats the least of my worries.  Im curious which works better in recoil management over the A2.
I dont want a comp or brake, so inb4...
Both im sure are well made, both good companies.  Phantom has a reputation.  The MI, not so much.
Curious if anyone has experiences with both.  Not opposed to a third contender as well.
Im sure this has been discussed somewhere, but a couple hours over a couple days hasn't turned up a direct comparison.
Also going to replace the crap bird cage on the mini 30 (7.62x39).  
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 1:36:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Smith Vortex is a great FH
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you ever plan on buying a suppressor?  If so buy the FH that fits the suppressor.

EXP:  AAC Blackout for AAC suppressor.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't consider replacing the A2.  It helps manage "recoil" better than those other two devices you mentioned as it has significantly more downward compensation effect.  You are also unlikely to notice the difference in flash suppression, and the A2 is a lot shorter to boot, saving you overall barrel length.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 2:25:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't consider replacing the A2.  It helps manage "recoil" better than those other two devices you mentioned as it has significantly more downward compensation effect.  You are also unlikely to notice the difference in flash suppression, and the A2 is a lot shorter to boot, saving you overall barrel length.
View Quote

Thats what i thought/think.. but i watched this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqoUMUkro78
Seems the A2 was more wild than the others, and also read some reviews that the phantom was way better..
Matbe brownells just wants to sell, and reviewers just like to justify the money spent.
Guess thats why im here now.
I was looking at those two specifically because of the price.  $60 for a flash hider, id just stick with A2, but less than 30 is justifiable if theres results,
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Read this in depth.  A LOT more scientific and helpful than watching some guys playing around on youtube.  There is a big difference between "seems to" and measurable scientific data!!!

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2013/10/03/ar15-muzzle-brakeflash-hidercompensator-comparison-part-1/

The A2 is the best all around flash hider in regards to flash hiding (brightness + amount of flash), muzzle control, size, sound, and recoil.  

When considering the cost, it's a no brainer.  If the A2 never existed, and it came out as a new to market flash hider, it would be a $50+ unit, and hyped as the best muzzle device ever.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 3:44:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Read this in depth.  A LOT more scientific and helpful than watching some guys playing around on youtube.  There is a big difference between "seems to" and measurable scientific data!!!

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2013/10/03/ar15-muzzle-brakeflash-hidercompensator-comparison-part-1/

The A2 is the best all around flash hider in regards to flash hiding (brightness + amount of flash), muzzle control, size, sound, and recoil.  

When considering the cost, it's a no brainer.  If the A2 never existed, and it came out as a new to market flash hider, it would be a $50+ unit, and hyped as the best muzzle device ever.
View Quote

I dont see Brownells as some guys.. but yeah, not scientific.

But looking at the scientific results, i think the yankee performs better.  
To qoute the link you provided:  "The A2 did very little to retard the rearward movement of the rifle, but did force the muzzle down with every shot."  I dont think down is good. makes you want to come back up and over compensate.. probably why the Brownells video looked erratic.
"The YHM Phantom reduced recoil very slightly and kept the muzzle on target."

By your link, looks like the YHM does better flash and recoil management.  Thanks for your link!  very informative.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 4:47:10 PM EDT
[#7]
We (me and several range regulars) have tested/messed with close to two dozen muzzle devices.
Two things we agree on. Smith Vortex for flash suppression and Phantom for an affordable second place behind the Vortex if itis beyond ones means at the time.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#8]
The Phantom works pretty well for the price. I  prefer the AAC blackout I have no experience with the MI.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We (me and several range regulars) have tested/messed with close to two dozen muzzle devices.
Two things we agree on. Smith Vortex for flash suppression and Phantom for an affordable second place behind the Vortex if itis beyond ones means at the time.
View Quote

Its the Smith Vortex for me too. Work great on an AK also.
But we are talking about 2 weapons that have very little recoil.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yeah, nothing like my ithica 12 featherweight deerslayer i slam fire clays with..  Im not looking for recoil reduction, but better management in a flash hider.  it aint the kick, its where the muzzle ends up.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I would not switch from a A2 birdcage to the ones you mentioned.

If you want flash control go with a Surefire or AAC, and if you want recoil control and flash you will have to get a good comp that can do both.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 8:18:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
+1

My DPMs MK!2 came with a Phantom and it does a good job, most of my carbs have VFH but they do change the POI compaired to a A2 and I just don't want to re-zero my MK12

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 8:25:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

To qoute the link you provided:  "The A2 did very little to retard the rearward movement of the rifle, but did force the muzzle down with every shot."  I dont think down is good. makes you want to come back up and over compensate.. probably why the Brownells video looked erratic.

By your link, looks like the YHM does better flash and recoil management.  Thanks for your link!  very informative.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never felt even the least bit that the A2 forces the muzzle down. It's design is such that it may negate muzzle-rise, but never have I felt or heard of downward movement due to an A2 that forces the shooter to apply upward pressure on the handguard that could potentially lead to over compensation.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 3:51:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've never felt even the least bit that the A2 forces the muzzle down. It's design is such that it may negate muzzle-rise, but never have I felt or heard of downward movement due to an A2 that forces the shooter to apply upward pressure on the handguard that could potentially lead to over compensation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

its going to be automatic.  Your muscles are working holding up the weight.  When there is a quick burst of downward pressure, like a rubber band, your musles are going to bounce back up.  Your mind is going to have no control over this.  Add in muzzle rise do to your upper body moving back while your lower body is planted and your going to be all over the place.

here is the total study:  http://vuurwapenblog.com/2014/01/12/ar-15-muzzle-device-comparison/

Looking at the downward force of the A2, its comparable to the Battlecomp.  I have heard from a few people that they dont like the Battlecomp because of the downward force, add in the zero recoil mitigated by the A2..
Notice their suggestion on the best brake and the amount of its downward force.
Now go back to the Brownells video and watch the A2 up down and all around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top