Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 6:19:13 AM EDT

hi guys, this is my first post, my son has started me down the path of the AR platform, i used to be an ak guy, but!! my son showed me the light, my son will be leaving in maybe 6 weeks to join the millitary, not sure as to which branch, he has tenative planes for uav's in the army (smart kid huh!) in any event i seek to build my new weapon with his help, and to enjoy the first shooting with him as well before he leaves on his grand adventure. but i am hitting nothing but walls. difficult to find lowers (is stag good?) impossible to find the ubr stock!! impossible to find the beowulf upper!! i have had many weapons, and have always settled due to availibility. but because of my sons knowledge, and my desire to this right i seek your help. in all cases if i buy on availibility, than my son will be long gone, and my need to share this with him will also be gone until he returns. any and all help will be greatly appreciated
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:50:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you checked the equipment Exchange forum? lots of goodies, both new and used. and the used is not too used, you will find good deals there.

karl
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:02:16 AM EDT
[#2]
The first thing to learn is that ARs are like a big lego set for grown up boys.

I'd say pick up that stag lower (they are fine), and add a parts kit like this.  You can option out the kit.  Things like UBR are so new they are hard to fine.  But this is legos, so you can always swap for that part later, and sell what you dont need on the EE.  Spikes tactical sells lots of lowers too, with cool laser engraving for $5.

I'd go for a 5.56 gun the first time around.  You can shoot it more cost effectively, expecially if you add a .22 conversion kit.

Big bore uppers are usually sold complete, so you'd lose out on that "build it yourself thing" and parts and ammo/brass for big bores are always going to be a lot more money and harder to find.  

The Arfcom motto is "get both", I'd say start with a 5.56 M4 copy, and then add your big bore upper, and add that UBR when you find one, and you'll find all kinds of other stuff too.

While we are on the subject, EOTech 512.  Just do it.  You won't regret it.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:23:14 AM EDT
[#3]
all good advice, and i love spikes, any way i am beging to see the logic to buy beginner and than build as i go, thanks guys
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:19:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:14:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

impossible to find the beowulf upper!!  

Midway USA has a 50 Beowulf upper on "Out of Stock, backorder OK", with an expected on stock date of 7/24/08.  www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=316928&t=11082005

It ain't in stock, but not too far out either.  Give them a call, put your name on it?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top