Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2004 4:13:51 PM EDT
This past weekend i built a Rock River lower and i mated it to a DPMS upper...its a damn tight fit, but the colors are off..Anyway I have an extera spring left over/...I know can't be goos...it about an inch long and it coiled really tight...My problem is when i fire the weapon the bolt comes back but onlys goes forward about half way when it cycles the round...You can manualy action the bolt fine...just when you fire it it stops half way...My thoughts might be that the bolt is some how catching on the hammer: because it doesn't reset itself...This is my first build and i would appreciate any advice.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Look at this picture to identify that spring and let us know what you think it might be:

www.kevinholman.com/byor/lower/partsbig.jpg

Perhaps this is the disconnector spring, and since the disconnector is not holding the hammer back, you are getting hammer follow which is hanging up on your carrier right at the firing pin shroud area.

Do you have a spring in your trigger assembly like shown?

And this means you did NOT perform a safety and function check before firing that weapon.....

www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/#hammer
www.ar15.com/content/guides/functionCheck/
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#2]
the spring is not listed...the hammer will stay back when manually cocked...i perfored the safty check...just when the weapon is fired, the bolt will not return all the way...it seems like its getting caught on the hammer
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
the spring is not listed...the hammer will stay back when manually cocked...i perfored the safty check...just when the weapon is fired, the bolt will not return all the way...it seems like its getting caught on the hammer

Thats not enough.  Look at both links.  

Safety on fire.  Finger off trigger.  Cock hammer.  Hammer should stay back.

Pull trigger.  Hammer should fall.

with trigger still pulled in all the way, cock hammer again.  Disconnector should hold hammer back.  Release trigger.  Trigger should fall a tiny bit, slipping off disconnector, and held in place by trigger.

The bold part is what I think might be causing hammer follow.  You stated:

My thoughts might be that the bolt is some how catching on the hammer: because it doesn't reset itself

Since you say the hammer is not resetting itself.... thats where I think the problem is.

Again.... does your trigger have the spring between the trigger and the disconnector installed?  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#4]
disconnector??i don't seem to follow u
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#5]
both springs are installed
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:34:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
disconnector??i don't seem to follow u

Uhhhh the disconnector.  The part that holds the hammer back when the trigger is depressed during firing of the weapon... keeping it from following the carrier and working correctly for semi-auto fire.

You have a disconnector?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
both springs are installed

There is ONLY ONE disconnector spring, you can see it in the pic above... mounted in the trigger assembly.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:36:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Assembled:

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:37:07 PM EDT
[#9]
See this thread and make sure you assembled lower correctly:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=200688
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#10]
yes i do...i don't think ar-15 use a spring ...oops...i think im missing that spring..[:Dthats it....thanks a lot
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
yes i do...i don't think ar-15 use a spring ...oops...i think im missing that spring..[:Dthats it....thanks a lot

Which again, only confirms you did not complete the safety and function checks before firing that rifle.  

No problem.  Good luck, and stay safe!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess i was in a rush  to finninh it...thanks a lot ..You too
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:04:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top