Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 3:33:03 AM EDT
i'd like to replace this stupid y comp with a bird cage or phantom suppressor. can i do this myself, or do i have to send it in to break the weld and pop the pin out? also, are collapsable stock now allowed?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:38:01 AM EDT
If you are an ordenary joe then send it off. If you have skills such as machine skills and tools then go for it. I damn near ruined my barrel getting the damn thing off. The torch I had wouldn't get it hot enought to shear the pins clean so the pins ended up cutting about half the threads off. Most likely if you have a Mini-Y you have a 14.5" barrel and in that case the flash suppressor that replaces it will also have to be permenatly attached. Which requires drilling, welding, grinding and reparkerizing to cover the bare metal where you welded it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:48:46 AM EDT
There are two pins on the mini y comp break. One that goes across the bottom side on the back side of the break, and one that goes down on the top. Spend the small amount of money it would take to get this done for you. It is worth it in the long run. Unless you have all the tools handy, it will cost you more than a new barrel to do it yourself.

You will need a drill press $100+, a vice $30, some mapp gas $30, and a small grinder $50+.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:53:09 AM EDT
I just did the "mod" yesterday. It is a pain in the butt. If I were to do it over I would just send it in, especially being that another fh is going to need to be repinned in it's place. It could get ugly, and you may end up drilling through the barrel like I did. I think Adco has a service for around $80 that will fix you right up. I wish I would have sent mine to Adco.
Top Top