Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/24/2003 9:03:26 PM EDT
when closing the bolt on an AR on an empty chamber, is it harmful to the rifle to let it slam home under full spring tension, or like that of a colt 1911 45, an M1A, or many such semi autos, is it advised to ease the bolt home on an empty chamber?..thanks
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:24:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Someone may say differently, but I've always just let my bolt & carriers go.  I can't see how it could be harmful and I love the sound!
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#2]
well the bushmaster manual specifically states to "NEVER ride the charging handle forward"
They might have just put that there to prevent failures though.
My guess is that I seriously doubt it will hurt your gun...
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 5:16:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Never riding the charging handle forward applies during chambering a round to be certain the round is chambered and the bolt fully locked up.

Dropping the bolt/bolt carrier on an empty chamber will not cause any problems in the AR, but I personally ease the B/BC down on an empty chamber using the charging handle for no other reason than it's an old habit...
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 5:28:24 AM EDT
[#4]
lol.....

do you know how many times we dry fired and let empty actions slam home while in basic trianing?
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 5:35:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 5:35:56 AM EDT
[#6]
What does the manual say about dry firing?
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 5:52:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What does the manual say about dry firing?
View Quote

Dry fire away my friend!

There is no harm done during dry firing.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 7:18:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
lol.....

do you know how many times we dry fired and let empty actions slam home while in basic trianing?
View Quote

Remember when, in basic training, AIT, IOBC, etc when everyone was in the bleachers at the range, and the DI is yelling at everyone, someone would always drop off asleep in the heat, and their M16 would fall clattering through the bleachers, and the bolt would slam forward with a "CLAAAAACK" as the buttstock hit the ground. The DI would go ballistic [url]http://www.rleeermey.com/sounds/fmjballs.wav[/url] while the poor idiot would dive under the bleacher to retrieve his weapon. That use to kill me, but there were always 3 or 4 boneheads who did this, it amazed me. You just brought back all those memories....made me laugh out loud. lmao

Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:00:26 AM EDT
[#9]

I don't see any reason to beat the gun up by doing this, so why do it?

Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:07:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't see any reason to beat the gun up by doing this, so why do it?

View Quote

well, for one thing, its part of the stardard function check.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Use em and abuse em, they will make more, thats what I always say! It is a tool, not something that will rest on a satin pillow at night!  It is a military weapon, not a kids toy! Scratch em, beat em, shoot em, throw them, use them to pound a stick into the ground....etc etc. Its a gun, not a fine wrist watch!!!
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#12]
In combat screw the weapon beat the shit out of it anyway you have to, to get the job done.

Here in the world, safe queens for me man. It better be beautiful or I dont want it. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:17:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Agreed that it's necessary for a routine function check. But to repeatedly let the bolt slam forward on an empty chamber just to hear the sound isn't something anyone who has built and maintained weapons will advocate.  If someone wants to beat the hell out of any tool, that's their business, but it still isn't a good practice in a rotary bolt gun like the AR15/M16. And isn't that the question igor is asking?

Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:32:39 AM EDT
[#14]

No, I would not cycle it just to hear the sound, but anytime I need to close the breech, i hit the bolt release button, I do not ride it forward. I have never heard of a bolt breaking from this. But like anything else, everyone will take care of their weapons in their own way, and there is certainly nothing wrong with that.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 9:13:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[red]I don't see any reason to beat the gun up by doing this, so why do it?[/red]

View Quote

well, for one thing, its part of the stardard function check.
View Quote

If you think that this is beating up the gun, don't join the military. All through basic that is all we did.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 9:43:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Normally you will have about .005" cleareance between the bolt face and the root of the barrel when it's in battery.  With a round in place, the bolt is going to cam closed bearing against the back of the case head rather than up against the barrel root.  If you let it fly home on an empty chamber, the bolt will strike the barrel root and then cam closed.  

I don't believe that is going to hurt anything however.

On the M60, it runs off an open bolt and slams home on an empty chamber every time you run the gun dry anyway.  There is no way to avoid it other then to never run the belt all the way through the gun.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top