Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/24/2003 5:11:04 AM EDT
I have a question I hope you folks can answer.

I went shooting my AR15 recently with a few friends.

When the brother of one of my friends tried to shoot, he forgot the safety was on and pulled the trigger.  Nothing happened of course.  However, after he switched to fire mode, and pulled the trigger a second time, nothing happened.

So we left the rifle pointed at the range for a couple of minutes, then ejected the round.  The round had only a small indent on it.

He did this same thing 3 more times.  I guess he was just nervous or something, but each time he tried to shoot, he forgot to turn the safety switch to fire, and we had 3 more "hang fires".

Forget about the fact that he kept firing the rifle with the safety on; like I said, I think he just nervous.  We didn't really know each other, just through his brother, and I think he was upset that everyone else fired the rifle without a hitch, and everytime he picked it up, it didn't fire.

After this guy took off, I tried it myself. I fired the rifle with the safety on, and sure enough, when I switched the rifle to fire, nothing happened.

Were these hang fires?

Is something set up wrong on my rifle or is this normal?

Thanks,
E (Qiii)
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:49:27 AM EDT
[#1]
After you switch back to fire (After attempting to bend the trigger), does the hammer drop? I am asking for clarification because you stated that "nothing happened"...

You mentioned an indent on the round. We're talking about a dent into the primer, right?

What ammo were you using?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:20:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Actually, you didn't have any hang fires.  A hang fire is when you pull the trigger, nothing happens for a second or so, and you think you've got a dud round.  Then at about the time when you turn to the guy next to you, carelessly swinging the rifle his way, the round goes off.  Hangfires are the reason you keep the rifle pointed safely downrange after a dud.  Usually a problem with the primer or powder.  

The little dimples in the primer are common for an AR; because the firing pin is free-floating, it impacts the primer when the bolt closes with enough force to leave a mark, but not enough to set it off.

Edited to add that if you post this over in Troubleshooting, you'll have a diagnosis pretty quick.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:49:20 AM EDT
[#3]
When in the course of all this does the hammer fall? That is the $64,000 question here. It does not sound like a FCG problem but more likely ammo related.

Does the bolt go all the way forward? Push on the forward assist. Does it move the bolt forward. Perhaps the Bolt is not going all the way home and the dent is from the firing pin striking the primer when bolt stops.

More info please....

edited to ask: Did anyone else attempt to fire the rifle? What happened?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention.

I can't say for certainty whether the hammer fell or not.

Something did happen as it sort of clicked.  I wouldn't say it got very far though, but what do I know, I just like to shoot the rifle.

The ammo:  223 LAKE XM193 55GR. FMJ NEW/BP/NC  

That's how my ammoman receipt describes it.

I shot the rifle just fine for about 50 rounds after this little experience.   It was just when the safety was on and the trigger squeezed.  

The dimple was in the primer, and it was very lite compared to fired rounds.

I'm pretty sure the bolt carrier was in the correct position.  After a couple of minutes, I ejected the round and loaded the next round into the chamber.  It seemed fine.  Then I handed the rifle back over to the guy, stood behind him, and heard a slight click.  That's when I realized he was shooting with the safety on.  I saw him look down at the safety and he turned it to fire.  And when he squeezed the trigger again...

Ah yes, the hammer did drop when he squeezed it a second time with the safety off, but the bullet did not discharge.

Thanks,
E (Qiii)

PS - shooting my AR was a blast :)  Just thought I'd throw that in.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:23:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Did you check to see if the firing pin was broken?  I have personally had a broken tip on my firing pin in the past that behaved in this same manner.  I would inspect it closely and run it through the bolt by hand while disassembled.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:20:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Thoroughly inspect your internal parts. Note the position of the trigger, hammer and disconnector in particular.
Now, unloaded, pull the trigger with the safety on. what happens? Now check your fire control parts again. Anything different?
Now, unloaded, with selector on fire pull trigger. Recheck?

What manufacture rifle is it? Did you assemble or did factory? If not factory assembled where are parts from?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top