Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/10/2006 12:54:12 AM EDT
building up my first AR-lower with a RRA parts kit and was breezing through until now. i am stuck trying to push the hammer retaining pin through the reciever/hammer. the metal wire/pin inside the hammer seems to be blocking the retaining pin from going through... the manual says i should lightly tap it but even with light tapping, there seems to be not enought space for the pin to squeeze through... any help will be greatly appreicated.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:07:10 AM EDT
[#1]
tap it harder with a puch and it should give way for the pin to pass
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:15:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Try tapping a bit harder. I’ve had some luck installing trigger/hammer pins using an old pin that I tapered. By inserting the tapered pin first, followed by the standard pin, you’ll slide right past the spring that’s holding you up. As you insert the standard pin you’ll push the tapered pin out of the opposite side of the receiver…..done!  

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Also, stick the ungrooved end of the pin in first, so that you don't have to force the end groove past the hammer's J-pin to get to the middle groove. The J-pin rides in the middle groove.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#4]
sanded the tip down and pushed it in with the ungrooved end first.. worked like butter!
thanks you guys.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:43:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
sanded the tip down and pushed it in with the ungrooved end first.. worked like butter!
thanks you guys.

Explain in more detail how you sanded down the pin. I hope you didn’t sand it down to resemble the tool I show pictured above! Any reduction of the pins outer diameter where it sits in the receiver side wall is a bad idea.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:02:05 AM EDT
[#6]
darnnithink
i guess i should get another pin?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:56:26 AM EDT
[#7]
If you lightly chamfered the end of the pin I think you’ll be fine. If you reduced the overall outer diameter of the pin where it resides in the lower receiver wall…. you could stand the chance of inducing premature wear to your receiver pin holes due to the excessive play.

Post a pic if possible. And hey, if you ruined a FCG pin, no biggy,  you just came up with a donor pin to make the tool I posted above!  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:08:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Hold it together with a punch insert through the hole. That helps keep the wire/spring out of the way. Then push in the pin from the other side to push the punch out.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:33:28 AM EDT
[#9]
mine wasn't as chamfered as much as yours, but i am pretty sure it will allow for some freeplay (.01-.02mm) and might cause some wear.
but yea, at least i got myself a cool little doohickey for future builds!her
thanks again for the help!!!!!!!!!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top