Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/8/2006 5:51:49 AM EDT
ok,   I have had a my ar15 for about 10 years now.  and it was used when I got it.   There are spots on the gun where the "black" has been rubed off or scrached.  I would like to clean this up!   I have read in other post about shooting a coat of flat black on it.  what kind of paint?  brand and color is safe?. Is there a coating you need to place over the coat flat black?  Can you do this to the lower and the uper?  I'm still new to this!  So I dont know!     Any help would be great!

Ashton
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:07:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Any color of Duracoat or Norrels Molyresin will work fine.  I use an airbrush but I believe that Duracoat is being sold in aerosol cans now.  You can finish over the sprayed color with a flat clear coat but it is not required (esp. on a single color).  Lower and upper can be re-finished.

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I just want to bring it back to a factor color.  Its like a flat black now but I want to clean up the dicked up spots on the gun! make it look newer then it is! hahah

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#4]
and you can get the stock AR15 finish?    
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:05:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't used it myself, but I've heard that matte black Aluma-Hyde is pretty good for touching up an AR.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:07:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:17:00 PM EDT
[#7]
brownells is your friend for all these kinds of needs.  call their tech line and they'll steer you in the right direction as well.

i can't say enough good things about this organization.

septic tank
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:52:48 AM EDT
[#8]
thank you for the feed back!   I have some more questions?  Do I need to remove the barrel? And can i paint the barrel? And on the upper I have a handle with the sight.  Do I need to remove the sight or just tape it off?     is there anything I CANT paint and why?  

thank you

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:42:15 AM EDT
[#9]
any help?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:04:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Brownell's Alumahyde II comes in flat black and works pretty good.  Its a coat though, not a touch up.  You'd have to do a good part of your gun in it so it flows.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:31:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
thank you for the feed back!   I have some more questions?  Do I need to remove the barrel? And can i paint the barrel? And on the upper I have a handle with the sight.  Do I need to remove the sight or just tape it off?     is there anything I CANT paint and why  

thank you

hr

what about this question?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:55:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
thank you for the feed back!   I have some more questions?  Do I need to remove the barrel? And can i paint the barrel? And on the upper I have a handle with the sight.  Do I need to remove the sight or just tape it off?     is there anything I CANT paint and why  

thank you

hr

what about this question?

????
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#13]
You can paint your barrel. You don't need to remove it. I'd just tape off the sight, but if you want to go through the effort of removing it, be my guest, its your time, and it might look a little better.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top