Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2003 5:04:43 AM EDT
I have 3 questions. One, I have a GS serial numbered Colt ar-15 that is preban, 1/7 twist a2 config colt cheekpiece, 22 conv kit, scope,I can find next to nothing on this gs series. Why? 2nd are osseo Mn 55369 dpms marked 30 rounder mags {1 date stamped 01/92} light green follower really mil-spec? new in plastic 25 bucks. Bought 4. third. Bought 2nd upper in 1\12
twist light barrel chrome lined but a2 rear sight. a1 hand guard, barrel marked pm. full birdcage flash hider. Guy has a large ar business and seems to know his stuff. Said was fn barrel and upper. Has bayonet lug. Sound right? I know He did a bit of mix and match as I wanted a a2 receiver and sights [shoot left hand] and 12 twist for 22 colt conv. Only charged 325 so I was not out all that much. Shoots quite well. Any-way thanks all for any info, sorry so long.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 8:34:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#2]
The mags are aluminum, anodised marked dpms [not initials] osseo mn.zip on floorplate. The date is stamped on the side of the mag body about 1\2 inch from the floorplate. above the date is the mark 6P199. Dark grey green in color
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 4:52:24 PM EDT
[#3]
The mags are aluminum, anodised marked dpms [not initials] osseo mn.zip on floorplate. The date is stamped on the side of the mag body about 1\2 inch from the floorplate. above the date is the mark 6P199. Dark grey green in color
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#4]
fxntime, I'm interested too, also have a Colt GS, means Government Series, don't know what that means though, have been able to learn mine was made in May of 91.

rk
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 5:54:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine does not have bayonet lug, no sear block, don't know what you mean by shaved or circle carrier.

rk
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 5:06:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine has full circle carrier, no bayonet lug, A2 gov style barrel, closed bottom birdcage,round foward assist.Bought mine in early 92 2nd party. 6 bills. The guy I bought it from said all the acc. came with it from new except the mags. armored scope and base[colt marked] colt cheekpiece, 22 conversion kit from colt.It was in a plastic gun case with tie downs [velcro] for stuff. Marked colt sporter target. not ar-15. I figure maybe 90 or 91 also but I have never found a bld date on gs series. Only place I ever found anything on gs was ar-15 complete owners guide. by Walt Kuleck and Scott Duff. They say 89-90 "poss" pre-ban ?? No serial numbers or amount made. It was either a small run or something else. Even some of the shops who deal pretty heavy with them admit the gs s.n. is unusual. I can find some lots of other serials with some of the accs factory included but not all of them together. Previous owner said came as a package [5 round mags tho]from the factory, was not very old and had been shot just a couple of times. Said very accurate. In all cases seems telling truth. Under 1 moa at range with match reloads easy and I pistol shoot a lot more then rifle shoot. Did your gs come with any accs? What twist? barrel config?
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Not sure about the questions, will go pull it out later and ckeck it out.

rk
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a GS model also. It's a R6550K. I purchased this gun new in 1990. It has an a-2 flashider but no bayonet lug. It's 1-7 twist with a stepped down barrel under the handguards. Slab sided, no sear block, small pin FCG and large front pivot pin. It has a full circle carrier. It is marked AR-15 and it came with a Colt 22lr. conversion kit.
I have heard that less than 10,000 6550's were made. How many of the "K" models, I don't know.
[img]www.gunsnet.net/album/data/500/19688DSCF0008.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#9]
The "GS" was the next model to succeed the Sporter II. The "GS" was the closest thing to a "civie" M16 available on the open market.

Thezman, yours is newer than mine, mine is a [blue]003XXX[/blue] serial.... I ordered mine in Dec-88, picked it up the first of Jan-1989, 2 weeks later Purdy shot up the Stockton-CA schoolyard, prompting Colt to start all the "political corect" crap (our rifles are sport rifles-Match Target, Match HBAR...)

Mine is [green]GREEN LABEL[/green], all std AR-15 fire group, A2 sights, cage, lug, stock, grip, hand guards.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you gentlemen, mine also fits right in with the others, good info. Good shooters too.

rk
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 5:52:40 PM EDT
[#11]
SBR7_11,

I had a lot of trouble finding any AR's at the time  I bought this gun. I was looking for a H-bar and couldn't find one so I bought the last AR the dealer had in stock, the Gov't model. I'm really glad I blundered onto this particilar variant, seems a little more uncommon than most. I even managed to save the [green]GREEN LABEL[green] box, all the plastic bags, the manual, hell even the little straw that goes in the end of the barrel.
My gun was a transitional model, thats why no bayo lug, and they included the 22 conv kit. I guess that stuff makes me more civil.[rolleyes]

Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:54:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks all for the info. It makes a bit more sense now. I think, as some of the lowers are marked a bit different, [mine says sporter target] that the gs might have been a transition serial number. however, the cheekpiece and armored scope only came with the delta I think. put my 'new 1/12 upper on and tried it in .22. At 50 yds about a inch, with no keyholing. I got a bit with the 1/7. Found a original military 22 insert for a 20 rd mag at last weeks gun show. Found once in mag. dont try to get it out as pain in the butt. Anyway thanks all for info. hunting tomorrow so use pc pistol. [in .454 casull] Funny that ar is "high" power and a 454 is fine with twice the muzzle energy. Go figure.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top