Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/7/2005 7:20:08 PM EDT
at the time I was shooting this ss109 green tip stuff I got from sportsmans guide .com in a dissipator that was new.no mods hbar dissy.I got a lot of FTE with this stuff so I put it away and never used it again.I didnt know if I would get a round stuck in the barrel or something crazy so I did not use it anymore.I came across the stuff again in a sealed ammo can and was wondering ,does this ss109 do this(FTE),is it because its a dissy,is it a junk lot or was it just not broken in.it was among the first ammo I ran in the dissipator and all types of ammo before and after was flawless in function.I am also very particular about cleaning ,especially the gas tube and thru the key also.so the question is should I trash this stuff or try it out again?its been in the ammo can since 99.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:21:45 PM EDT
I wouldn't toss it. At the VERY least you could sell it for way cheap.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:27:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:27:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mrrick:
at the time I was shooting this ss109 green tip stuff I got from sportsmans guide .com in a dissipator that was new.no mods hbar dissy.I got a lot of FTE with this stuff so I put it away and never used it again.I didnt know if I would get a round stuck in the barrel or something crazy so I did not use it anymore.I came across the stuff again in a sealed ammo can and was wondering ,does this ss109 do this(FTE),is it because its a dissy,is it a junk lot or was it just not broken in.it was among the first ammo I ran in the dissipator and all types of ammo before and after was flawless in function.I am also very particular about cleaning ,especially the gas tube and thru the key also.so the question is should I trash this stuff or try it out again?its been in the ammo can since 99.

I shoot Olympic SS109 with the NATO headstamp often and I've never had an issue with it
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:30:57 PM EDT
NPA/01/5.56X45 I remember the box was "olympic" or similar but it was definately greek made.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:37:40 PM EDT
I am hoping it was just that it was at that time a new AR.maybe it just needed some rounds run thru it.I am really only worried that I may get one stuck.I would fire 1,2 or 3 off and get one that did not pull from the chamber.it was annoying to get so few off and have to constantly clear it.am I probably safe to try it out again since I have done a lot of shooting since?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:58:20 PM EDT
I think I got the idea=powder

I "tried" to use 90 rounds of Olympic SS109 head stamped NPA 01 at the top and 5.56X45 at the bottom, this stuff is junk! I had a Bushmaster shorty AK, which I've put all kinds of different stuff through just fine, like wolf 55 grn, federal M193, Winchester (the israeli kind), South African 55 grn. just to name afew, and I never had a problem. I would like to agree with the other comments about the Olympic SS109, it is by far the worst ammo I have ever used ever, and I don't mean just in the AR, I mean ammo for every weapon and every caliber I have ever fired! I have never seen anything like it. Over half the rounds didn't eject, sometimes because of a short stroke sometimes because they got stuck in the boltface which caused nasty double feeds. To top it all off, the rifle was filthy after firing the first mag. I put a whole battle pack of south African through with out that much filth, probably the cleanest ammo I have used next to some M855 made by Olin. Cleaning the rifle after using the Olympic ammo was similar to cleaning a black powder rifle. If I hadn't have put 20 rounds of the Olin brand M855 through after using the Olympic, cleaning the gun might have took hours. I knew the Olin M855 was very clean, it comes in a white box on stripper clips. It says M855 PENETRATOR I highly recomend it. Olin has factories in Israel and the US, they also supply winchester the 193 copies, the "white box" stuff. The M855 have the NATO cross. To say the least, the problem with the Olympic SS109 dwells in the powder. I also noted when I was loading some stripper clips with Olympic SS109 that it slid a bit harder into the clip than M855 NATO or M193 NATO. I tried the same stripper clips with each kind and the Olympic slid on harder every time. Plus it would bind up when trying to charge a magazine. Where NATO type loaded perfectly, I never got out the micrometer but I think the stripper clip experience was enough to lend notion that case size might play a part in the rounds getting stuck on the bolt face. Submitted by: Rob ss109grntp@westelcom.com 4/11/03

I did an "olympic SS109 search and this was the first thing that came up.a page talking about crappy rounds.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:59:23 PM EDT
The Olympic ammo is notorious for being shit.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:14:43 PM EDT
well at least I only got 500 rds of shit
Top Top