Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/16/2005 9:34:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2005 9:38:54 AM EDT by dsg2003gt]
Today, I finally got my carbine from my transfer dealer-the gun was perfect from eagle firearms.

My questions are

how should I clean it before taking it out to shoot?

how do i remove the front pivot pin? That thing would not come out for the life of me. I got the rear out with ease, but there has to be a trick or something for the front one.

is it ok to have my larue mont sitting on top of the delta ring? It fits very snug with just the rear lever on there. (my eotech will be here tomorrow)

what is a good cleaning kit/rod for it? and are there any instructions to show what to lube? I looked in the army manual, but couldnt find specifics?

Thanks SO much,
Matt

http://www.speedoptions.com/members/129233/33806/pic1.jpg
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:10:05 AM EDT
I'd say wipe all the packing grease off the inside of the upper receiver and off the bolt/carrier then run a patch or two down the barrel to make sure there isn't any oil or grease down there.

The front pivot pin works just like the rear. It is usually harder to take out because the upper will be putting force on that one pin.

I just use a USGI M16 cleaning kit I bought at a gunshow.

Hope this helps.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:18:54 AM EDT
Yeah... What Wizzo said.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:26:46 PM EDT
do you think my local gun store would have a m16 cleaning kit? what should I expect to pay for one of those?

if I cant get one should I get the 3 piece rod with brushes?

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:30:23 PM EDT
screw that get the dewey 1 piece with a rod guide. I dont know how many takedown rods I have broken before I got a good one. its a sinking feeling to feel the rod break in a bore. just spring for the extra cash and get the right setup, you wont be sorry
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:40:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kells81:
screw that get the dewey 1 piece with a rod guide. I dont know how many takedown rods I have broken before I got a good one. its a sinking feeling to feel the rod break in a bore. just spring for the extra cash and get the right setup, you wont be sorry

+1 for the Dewey rod.

Aside from running a few patches down the bore, I would make sure that everything is coated with some CLP. They are not generally well lubricated as sent from the manufacturer.

Your take down pins will loosen up some with use. RRA is notorious/well known for this. If you have trouble popping them loose use a nylon drift(cough........bic pen end) to put some pressure on it.

enjoy the new rifle,

Blitz

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:43:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2005 1:44:17 PM EDT by jockeys]

how should I clean it before taking it out to shoot?

just open it up and spray some clp in the first time.. that's all I did with my new RRA and it worked fine. In hindsight, it prolly wasn't necessary, because it was greasy/oily in the box, but better safe than sorry. A quick shot of clp and cycle the action a few times to work it in.

how do i remove the front pivot pin? That thing would not come out for the life of me. I got the rear out with ease, but there has to be a trick or something for the front one.

after the rear one is out, and you have opened it a bit, put it on a table or something flat. it's easy to unintentionally put torque on the front pin by the way you hold it. also, it might help to have something hard to start it, the pins on my RRA were WAY tight at first, I started them by tapping them with a knife handle.

what is a good cleaning kit/rod for it? and are there any instructions to show what to lube? I looked in the army manual, but couldnt find specifics?

it's hard to beat the Otis M16 buttstock kit. Much more convenient (imho) than fooling around with long cleaning rods. that, and a bottle of clp will get you a long way.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:51:12 PM EDT
spray down the rifle with some brake cleaner! it gets all that gunk out, also be sure to run a few patches down the bore.

wipe it down with some clp after to hose it.

the front pin is always harder, just work with it while wiggling the upper.

i have no idea about the larue mount since i dont own an eotech but i think if there is two levers both should be used.

what cleaning kit? otis
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:47:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WIZZO_ARAKM14:
I'd say wipe all the packing grease off the inside of the upper receiver and off the bolt/carrier then run a patch or two down the barrel to make sure there isn't any oil or grease down there.

The front pivot pin works just like the rear. It is usually harder to take out because the upper will be putting force on that one pin.

I just use a USGI M16 cleaning kit I bought at a gunshow.

Hope this helps.

WIZZO

i agree +1

get a USGI cleaning. and a 223 bore snake, you cant go wrong.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:04:24 PM EDT
dewey rod vs. boresnake- that is the question...lol.

where should I spray clp before I fire? I mean exactly-Im new to ARs. Im used to glocks and the lack of cleaning they need.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:45:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2005 5:46:34 PM EDT by ops144]
nice rifle bud any feed back on this ?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:11:32 PM EDT
I keep my boresnake in the compartment of mv VFG. I use I at the range at the end the day. When I get home I use the Dewey rod to finish the job.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:11:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2005 6:37:08 PM EDT by dsg2003gt]
thanks, hopefully Ill be able to go get a bore snake and then go shooting. Is there a faq page somewhere around here about breaking in a chrome-lined barrel?edit: nm read it on the bushmaster website...wipe it down with a swatch first, then shoot the hell out of it
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:33:40 PM EDT
Great advice :)
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:55:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kells81:

+1 I am always amazed at how many people run a POS cheapo, mis-jointed GI rod down their brand new rifle w/o a bore guide, even.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:00:19 PM EDT
Whta is the Twist on that gun??? Just wondering.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:19:33 PM EDT
1/9
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:26:33 PM EDT
Man...that's a good looking rifle. I gotta get me a RRA! AND SOON!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:40:22 PM EDT
A rod guide is a must.... as is a one piece coated rod (ie: Dewey)
Don't pull patches or brushes back into the bore when pushed out the end.
I run a quick brush through at the range, let the solvent soak, finish at home.

All kinds of opinions on whether you should "break in" the barrel but most manufacturers (barrel, not the gun) recommend it.

I'm enough of a fanatic that I'll hand lap a new barrel with paste. Done well once it shoot better and cleans easier.

David Tubb sells a kit for bore polishing, increasingly finer grit bullets, if you can find someone to load them for you. If you don't know who David Tubb is go stand in the corner.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:50:58 PM EDT
Top Top