Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/20/2002 3:23:52 PM EDT
ok, been throwing the idea around of getting a mini-mill and mini-lathe (7x12) just for some small stuff/experimenting etc.

seems grizzly sells both for about $500 each.

im also looking at Sherline's and Taig's line of tools. about the same price range. (taigs are a little higher)

so, anyone have anything to add to help my search?

thanks
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 3:34:21 PM EDT
Hi. Heard some good things about this place a while back. Check them out. [url]http://www.blueridgemachinery.com/[/url] Good Luck! MM419
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 4:52:13 PM EDT
Check out the forums at [url]www.roderuscustom.tzo.com/[/url] Lots of good information on just what you are asking, and lots of good people, many of them machinists, who like to play with guns in their garages. [beer] Louis
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 5:55:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2002 6:13:00 PM EDT by slidestop]
[blue][b] SkaerE save your money , check out the Homier mill. It's the same as the Grizzly only a few hundred cheaper. [url]http://www.homier.com/default.asp?page=categories.asp?dept=1 [/url] . You can read a good review here[url]www.mini-lathe.com [/url]about it and a few others . For tooling and accessories these guys have good prices [url]www.littlemachineshop.com[/url] I agree with drlouis. Check out the Roderus custom forums it's a great place to get started . Good luck SaFe ShOoTiNg Jerry [/blue][/b] [sniper]
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 5:39:55 PM EDT
Go a little bigger than the mini-mill. The Grizzly G1005 is about $895 but is a LOT more machine. There is more table movement available, and more distance to table. I was able to fool around with a bunch of them, and the mini-mills are really just too small. Sure, you could do a lot of things with one, but it would be less frustrating with something larger. Also heard the mini-mills use plastic gears which break. Don't know about lathes.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 7:44:22 PM EDT
again though, the problem is that i am lacking sufficient space for larger machines right now. i think i may still go w/ a mini0mill and a couple years down the line get something larger. i mean hell, even if i can only sell it for 50% of what it cost me in a few years, thats not that much of a loss on a $399 machine :) thanks
Top Top