Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/20/2003 3:26:33 PM EDT
I'm trying to reassemble my upper after cleaning and having a problem. Removed the gas block with the gas tube. Can't get it back in place. I can't get it through the handguard retaining ring although I can see the indentation in the ring where its supposed to go. What am I doing wrong? Thanks
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 4:18:21 PM EDT
[#1]
AFG,

Are the openings in the weld spring, slip ring and slip ring retainer aligned?
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 4:56:26 PM EDT
[#2]
No they're not and I thought that might be the problem but wasn't sure. Now how do I get everything lined up? Thanks for your help
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#3]
You can push the slip ring retainer around with the plugged end of the gas tube or a small screwdriver. Put the notch in retainer at 12 o-clock. You can then spin the weld spring by hand until the notch in it is at 12 o-clock. Insert the plugged end of the gas tube or the screwdriver into the notch in the weld spring to keep it from spinning. Rotate the slip ring until the notch in it is at 12 o-clock. Insert your gas tube.

Make sure to check the gas tube alignment by sliding the carrier (minus the bolt) into the upper slowly while feeling for any resistance.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you very much. I think I understand it now and should be able to get it back together.

Link Posted: 8/20/2003 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Not to sound like a prick, but that is WAY BEYOND what you should be messing with, jethro.

Cleaning an AR does not include messing with that stuff.  It's armor level monkeying.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 7:36:34 AM EDT
[#6]
You probably would have sounded less "like a prick" if you had omitted the "jethro" at the end of your first sentence. [ROFL2]

However, you are correct in your second sentence. I did intend to ask AFG, once his upper was re assembled, why he removed the "gas block" during cleaning. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps he had rust on the barrel between the "rings" of the FSB.

AFG,

What type of "gas block" does your rifle have on it? If it is the type held on with set screws you may still have some fiddling to do with it.

[ed. for the smiley]
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 9:02:55 AM EDT
[#7]
While I agree that there is no reason to take off the block and tube to clean...it is not rocket science to remove it and put it back on. A mallet and a punch or a hex wrench is all that is needed depending on the style. No big deal.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top