Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/4/2003 8:51:51 PM EDT
Will oiling the gas seals of the bolt improve the "seal"? mine needs replacement, but i have no access to such parts in the meantime.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 8:59:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Just stagger them like usual till you get new ones,are you experiencing gas loss because of it?
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey sunga_sy, is that what was causing the short stroke problem?
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#3]
oiling the gas ring will only gunk up your bolt, the oil gets burn and turns in to carbon.  you can try to space them at quarter part and hope for the best until new gas ring arives.  try the McFarland gas ring, it is the best darn ring money can buy.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 9:26:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Not really, I fired about 140 rounds full and semi auto last week. I only encountered problems when I think my last 30 rounds of ammo are defective. It sounded like a squibload then the casing did not eject, and sometimes it will not lock bolt open after last shot. But my gunsmith told me that the rings may go anytime.. I bought the rifle used, so I have no idea how many rounds was fired thru it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 9:28:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess the short stroking was caused by the ammo. Since it started malfunctioning when the blast became not as loud as the other ammo that I have fired.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is how to check your gas rings.

1. Field strip the bolt/bolt carrier.
2. Put just the bolt back into the bolt carrier.
3. Grab bolt by the locking lugs with fingers without touching the bolt carrier.
4. Slowly lift off of table or other flate surface.

If you can lift the bolt and bolt carrier up and hold them in a vertical possition, then the gas rings are still good to go. If the bolt carrier slips off of the bolt and falls to the table/ground then the rings are shot and need to be replaced. Now this is not 100%. I have seen guns run just fine with worn gas rings. Hell I saw an M16 run just fine with only one gas ring installed. But it is a good rule of thumb.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top