Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/1/2003 5:19:03 PM EDT
couple of guys said they used an exacto knife to hold the spring and detent, but i would like to retain most of my fingers without scratching the lower.
any suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#1]
use a feeler gauge
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I was able to get it to work, without sending the detent flying into the ceiling, by inserting the spring, then the detent, and pushing them down with the pivot pin. Simply push the pivot pin into the receiver and twist the pivot pin to make sure the detent catches into the groove.

Worked like a charm.

Lee
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:13:09 PM EDT
[#3]
the little fingernail file thing on a pair of fingernail clippers works too.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:05:04 PM EDT
[#4]
i used leelaw's way and it worked fine.  I've also used a small flatblade screw driver used to hold down the detent (through the holes, from the non-detnet side) and then push pivot pin through while removing the screwdriver.

these ways work, but you should really crawl on the floor for a while...or delay a project waiting for a 50 cent detent pin.  that the way all 1st ar builds should go!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:41:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I insert the blank (non-twisted) end of a drill bit from the oppisite side on the receiver, insert spring and detent, hold it down with a small flat screwdriver, and the slide the drill bit through to hold the detent in place. I then insert the pivot pin pushing out the drill bit. Works pretty well and I haven't launced any detents using this method.

DanS
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:16:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Good advice, I did basically the same except I used a rounded ended 1/4'' bolt.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:01:41 AM EDT
[#7]
 found an extra pivot pin in a box of parts, slid it in from the wrong side, depressed spring and detent, slid pivot pin over it, then pushed correct pin in which pushed the extra one out.
 the problem here is if you turn the slot on the extra pivot pin towards the back of the gun the detent locks it in place on the wrong side of the receiver.  
  and yes on the first try the detent went to the other side of the room, but i found it in about 5 minutes with a 1,000,000 candlepower light.
  anyway completed my first build last night on the coffee table.   i work/live away from home (and my tools) during the week so i put this together with a leatherman.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:50:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Much easier with tool. I cross drilled a proper sized brass punch.Stick it through from the off side ,align holes,drop in spring and detent,push down on detent with a piece of wire and rotate tool. Now just push in pin and rotate to lock in. Takes a lot longer to type it than to do it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#9]
LeeLaw's way works, thats the way i did mine... it just made sense, and was a hell of alot easier then everyone said...

~Santi
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:04:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Why risk it. Use one of my detent pin install tool. Sold a bunch on eb-y for $7.50 shipped. AR15.COM folks can have them for $6.50 shipped. Email for pics.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was able to get it to work, without sending the detent flying into the ceiling, by inserting the spring, then the detent, and pushing them down with the pivot pin. Simply push the pivot pin into the receiver and twist the pivot pin to make sure the detent catches into the groove.

Worked like a charm.

Lee
View Quote

This is exactly what I did, seems to me you only need the tools to remove the pins...
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know about an exacto blade, but the razor blade trick works great. Soooooo easy and cheap. (kind of like my college girlfriend)
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why risk it. Use one of my detent pin install tool. Sold a bunch on eb-y for $7.50 shipped. AR15.COM folks can have them for $6.50 shipped. Email for pics.
View Quote

Here are photos of the Pivot Pin tool.

[img]users.zoominternet.net/~pcfitz/tool/detentinstool[/img]

[img]users.zoominternet.net/~pcfitz/tool/detenttoolinst[/img]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:03:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
stuff...
View Quote

That's pretty cool! I can't say I need one of those as I too use the old razor blade trick, but it's nice to know that there's another tool out there to make life easier for AR15'ers.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:03:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Drill a 1/8" hole in a round pencil and use that as a "tool". How hard is that?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#16]
go to a hardware store or garage and get a 1/4 inch clevis pin about 1 1/2 inches long. works just like the tool and is a lot cheaper and easier to get.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top