Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 4/8/2006 11:48:31 AM EDT
Quick question, I just finished my first AR build. I freefloated it and have a rail going down up to the front sight with bayonet, etc. anyhow, I was thinking about getting a different front sights, one that will fold down. So the question is, is there a replacement peice for my front sight (the barrel looks a little marred) and two holes there now
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:09:01 PM EDT
You won't (realistically) be able to get a different front site to fit the existing holes (they are drilled in place, together). The options are to get a brand-x clamp-on or set-screw front site base, or use a rail mounted fold-down front site.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:00:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Danner130:
You won't (realistically) be able to get a different front site to fit the existing holes (they are drilled in place, together). The options are to get a brand-x clamp-on or set-screw front site base, or use a rail mounted fold-down front site.

I'll second that proposal. Your barrel and FSB were drilled for taper pins as a pair. To Replace your FSB with something new would require it to be a clamp on. Don't get discouraged though. They are rock solid with a little loctite applied to the threads.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:56:23 AM EDT
so what should I do about the holes ?

what do most poeple do after they replace them ? jsut leave them as its ?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:04:33 PM EDT
so should i get a clamp on something to replace my fixed a2 front sights ? I just want the pin holes to be coverd so I can add a rail front sight so i can fold it down.

i appreciate al your help
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:18:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/10/2006 11:22:35 PM EDT by eye_spy]
Pardon me if i'm a bit slow to understand your situation. But may I ask how it is again?

When you say that your present FF HG has rails going down up to the FSB, do you mean that the rail ends where the FSB begins? Or does the rail also cover the FSB area and that you are thinking of getting a rail mounted front sight like Troy, Samson and the like?

OR is it that your rails end where the FSB begins and that you wanted to replace the FSB with a Flip up type that attaches to the barrel.

If it is the latter, then you can either get the PRI or a Yankee Hill. Both flip ups CLAMP on to the barrel without need of using the old notches of the FSB pins.

I don't really know where you "marred" your barrel, so I cannot say definitely if these flip ups will "cover" the marred portion of your barrel.

Hope that helps.

ETA: If the marring is only near the notches of the pins, I believe that you will have no problems with the PRI.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:14:03 AM EDT
eye spy thanks again !! U answered my question. Yes, my rails go up to the sight. its free floated, so its not coonected there however. I just want to cover those two pins up in a sense. I assume that the pin holes do not weaken or damage the barrel at all after I put a clamp style front sight over it.

So basically I just need to tap out the pins, and put a foldable front sight . awesome ! thanks again everyone. u guys are great !!!!
Top Top