Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2004 6:19:45 PM EST
How the hell do you get out the front sight base pins??!!??

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:31:04 PM EST
Start here................FSB Removal (and other stuff).................I'll check back to see if you have other questions. They can be a bear to get out.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:21:44 PM EST
Post pictures after you destroy the pins
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:27:21 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:27:42 PM EST
I used a propane torch to heat the FSB us so it would swell a bit, and the pins came right out....
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:29:05 AM EST
Thanks for the replies. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:40:51 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2004 5:41:57 AM EST by badeffect10]

Originally Posted By BravoCompanyUSA:
FWIW - most pins are installed at the factory from the left side,
that means you would want to remove them driving from right to left.

looking at it from what direction?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:52:40 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2004 5:55:50 AM EST by fight4yourrights]
Dremel.

Bushmaster "Kryptonite" pins:

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:54:57 AM EST

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:
Dremel.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=28272

Amature!

Tweak has written a great article on the subject and it's available for download at FSB Removal Article at MD-AR15.com (members only)
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:56:35 AM EST
Hey, didn't need the FS anyway......

Should have seen me dremel the skidplates on my SUV!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:21:10 AM EST
Looking at the front of the barrel they will exit to your right

Originally Posted By badeffect10:

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:31:00 AM EST

Originally Posted By Archangel6:
Looking at the front of the barrel they will exit to your right

Originally Posted By badeffect10:

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:33:59 AM EST
Let's try not to confuse this issue more than it's already been confused in this thread!

The right side is ALWAYS the side that is on your right as you're holding the firearm in an aiming or firing position. The driver of an automobile sits on the left (in this country) and calls all directions from his position. Same thing!

That said, every AR with a tapered-pin FSB that I've ever owned has had the pins driven in from right to left - therefore they must be driven out from the left to the right.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:42:15 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:06:19 AM EST

I know how they are supposed to be, but unless I am absolutely sure visually, I measure the pins and hit the small end.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:10:03 AM EST

Originally Posted By chp5:
How the hell do you get out the front sight base pins??!!??

Thanks.

The easiest way is to take it to somebody who IS quailified to be doing it in the first place.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:28:15 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:40:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2004 1:41:02 PM EST by uglygun]
Why not refer to the direction of pushing/driving the pins out as if to say "from the bolt release side of the rifle to the ejection port side of the rifle" or other way around...

I don't refer to a right side or left side of a car precisely for this reason, I always say "driver's side" or "passenger side".

If the pins are driven into the front sight base from the ejection port side of the weapon that is pretty idiot proof for suggesting which way they need to be driven back out.

This is how I have to deal with people at work telling them how to load a package car. I nearly lost it one day when somebody asked me how to load a series of packages for a street onto the shelf, he honestly did not know what I meant when I told him that "odd side" went on one shelf while the rest(meaning even side" went on the other shelf. Had to explain what "odd" numbers were... Ever since then it's "see dick run, see jane run" type explanations for these goofballs.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:28:05 PM EST
uglygun,

What you say about drivers side......passengers side makes sense to a degree, and so does referring to the bolt release and ejection port as a way to indicate sides but.......

not to be a nit-picker or anal about it..........

Much of the world drives from the right hand side of the vehicle in which case the passenger would be on the left!

and.........

your rifle method works well when referring to a standard AR-platform firearm. It comes up short when referring to a LH Rem 700, just as an example.

After 37 years in the automobile business, both on the manufacturer and dealer level, I can assure you that it is the industry standard to refer to the right or left side of a vehicle from the drivers position. No confusion this way, as it doesn't matter which side he's sitting on as long as he's facing foward! Dealing with vehicles and customers from England, Australia, and Japan will get a person into this habit quickly.

As far as firearms are concerned, after checking with several authorities, the industry standard calls the left and right side of a firearm from the firing position. Standard practice (with a few exceptions) where pins are concerned is that they install from the right and remove from the left. "Right in and left out" is what a prominent gunsmith once told me. However, as several members have posted, it's always best to check!

I don't mean to sound overbearing about this subject, but it would sure help everybody concerned if a universal standard was adopted.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:34:40 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:51:34 PM EST

Originally Posted By SinistralRifleman:

Originally Posted By markm:
The easiest way is to take it to somebody who IS quailified to be doing it in the first place.

Quit speaking that craziness here, or they will have you burned as a witch!

Ya.................WESCOG makes everybody qualified to work on AR's.
Top Top